2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Look at Rodney's stats and look beyond the save percentage.  He was not good last year.  His stuff is fine and I wouldn't have had an issue getting him for 2 yr / 7.5 mil or something like that, but he's not the answer at 2 yr / 12 mil.  Relievers are all pretty much a crapshoot anyway.

LBIggle

if they were really going to put money into the bullpen they would've signed hoe cheese.

Eagles_Legendz

Not sure he realizes that no one wants him to be a starter.

Rome

37 out of 38 saves sucks.  I mean, just look at that BABIP against!  That's what REALLY counts!!

QB Eagles

Like the save is any more of a real statistic than BABIP. That's only meant what it currently means since what, the '70s?

Rome

Can't tell if that's sarcasm.

Hope so.

QB Eagles

The save is a phony stat. The rules of it are convoluted and arbitrary. Why three runs, and not two or four? Why can you get one for pitching the last three innings of a blowout, even if you suck? Why don't middle relievers get a stat like that? A bad pitcher can easily end up with more saves (and a higher save %) than a better pitcher under the current rules, because a team chooses when and if to put a certain pitcher into a save situation.

The purpose of the save stat to to try to quantify how well a closer is contributing to his team. It's really in the same exact spirit as any of those sabermetrics stats with acronym names. It's just been around longer and people are more used to it.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Rome on December 23, 2009, 07:40:03 PM
37 out of 38 saves sucks.  I mean, just look at that BABIP against!  That's what REALLY counts!!

Rome his numbers were not good last year.  Do you think wins are significant for pitchers?

His ERA the last two years is 4.91 and 4.40.  His K to walk ratio is absolutely pathetic and he gives up a million base runners.  

Don't pretend he's a good closer, because he's not.  He's had two below average years in a row.

mpmcgraw

Saves are like sabermetrics in no way, but thats funny.  I do agree with you though, Rodney is teh suck.

MDS

For 2 years the $ means nothing. Stop worrying so much about what people make. Who cares. The Phillies have a massive payroll.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Shut the farg up retard you have no idea what you are talking about.  The Phillies have a finite amount of money to spend and a retarded signing like that could harm their ability to trade for someone who actually will be relevent during the season or bring someone in like they did Pedro last year.  They just traded Cliff Lee and gave up better prospects to get 6 million back from Toronto.

OBVIOUSLY money matters.

Jesus Christ dude this is just common sense. 

mpmcgraw

MDS

its years idiot, not $

and for the 100000th time if it was about the money they could have traded blanton. it was a little bit about the money but more about the misguided attempt to replenish the farm system.

pedro cost 1 mil, as will any 5th starter or random vet replacement they might think about getting. no idiotic signing will stop them from doing that.

having rodney hyptothetically on the books for next year is not a big deal. the phillies have no logical big FA signing to make any time soon. the big money will be spent on possibly long terming cole, werth and choke. 6 mil to rodney for 2 years isnt gonna hamper that being done, if it was ever going to be done.

the $ last year to moyer meant nothing, but its the year. giving 2 and and option to someone like him was stupid and now they are a bit crippled by it. it was the years. its always the years.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Right, because having to pay big bucks to a player who sucks and you signed 2 years ago hurts worse financially than paying big bucks to someone who sucks and you signed yesterday.  Your logic is awesome!