2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBIggle

Quote from: SunMo on December 17, 2009, 08:49:21 AM
Quote from: LBIggle on December 17, 2009, 03:06:40 AM
in all seriousness were right back where we started.  we still only win 2 world series games.  actually, maybe less cuz we still don't have a bullpen.

i didn't realize that Cole Hamels and Brad Lidge will be as bad as they were last year...good to know

they've been bad for as long as they've been good.  its always been what have you done for me lately and they more then shtein the bed last year.  i love putting the hopes of the entire season on a head case, and a mental midget.  especially when they could've kept lee to offset that in the event they don't "return to form".  farg those draft picks.. there's going to be a lull no matter what prospects they got, its inevitable.. have a lull with a couple of rings on your finger.

Rome

Quote"As long as it says 'Phillies' on the front," he said, "I don't care what's on the back.

Either this guy is a complete fraud or I just found my newest mancrush.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

the more time shady amaro spends in the league as a GM the more stories like this are gonna come out
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

Pissed or sad?  He seemed like a nice guy that wanted to be here, but Amaro wanted Halladay more (plus his insistence on hitting FA didn't help his cause)...

ice grillin you

hes pissed because shady two faced him numerous times and then has continously lied about what went down since the trade

lee has said he cant blame them for wanting the best pitcher in the game
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eaglez

Lee is a professional.  He'll be missed.  If you thought Banner was a tightwad in trying to balance a 53 man roster then the Phils brass is surmounting that this year with their artificially imposed cap.  5th largest market in the country plus a World Series Championship and a repeat appearance last year yet they are still concerned about having one year where they may have to eat a huge payroll.  Again, I don't know their finances well but as a fan I have a hard time not coming to the conclusion that they should have taken that risk. 

Rome

I heard Beaner on XM yesterday and he repeatedly said he wished he could have both Lee & Halladay on the team.

What I don't understand is why no one, not even national guys, are drilling him about letting Lee go supposedly to replenish the farm system when it would have been restocked using the draft picks they would have gotten if Lee left for free agency.   And no one has blasted him for not going for it or at least asking if ownership gave him the gas face over going beyond their budget for a shot at the title.

reese125

Quote from: Eaglez on December 18, 2009, 12:17:23 PM
Lee is a professional.  He'll be missed.  If you thought Banner was a tightwad in trying to balance a 53 man roster then the Phils brass is surmounting that this year with their artificially imposed cap.  5th largest market in the country plus a World Series Championship and a repeat appearance last year yet they are still concerned about having one year where they may have to eat a huge payroll.  Again, I don't know their finances well but as a fan I have a hard time not coming to the conclusion that they should have taken that risk.  

While I agree its hard to understand why they wouldnt go over their budget, they must have a pretty damn good explanation thats beyond our thought. The thing is the phillies were in over their head and overpaid when they didnt really have to for Ibanzez, Moyer and Polanco. It appears they jammed themselves or they probably would have bit the bullet and paid for Lee and Halladay to pitch together

It sucks that they could have had both, and hearing Lee today say what he said hurts even more--true or not...but its still hard to be so upset when the Phillies just got the best pitcher in baseball

MDS

for the 1,000th time they traded lee to get prospects. they chose lee over halladay because he was going to go for a cheaper, shorter deal.

getting halladay was great. trading lee for 3 guys who might or might not pan out was stupid. youre better off with lee and taking the 2 picks that come with him leaving. its a conservative, somewhat overtly argonant move by amaro but that is his bread and butter.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Eaglez

I'm sure they have dead money (I'm not sure if Eaton comes off the books this year, I think they still owe Jenkins money, is Thome finally off the books?) and of course Moyer being paid 8 million this year.  I was getting over it until the Cliff Lee interview on ESPN, and then it made me think of what could have been.  Getting Halladay, with his tremendous work ethic, for 4 years at below market value while he's still in his prime for a team that has all the pieces to contend in the NL for the next few years is a great move and shouldn't be downplayed.  I'm just not satisfied with the front office's explanation because it seems to be somewhat of a moving target and pretty dismissive of all other alternatives to keep both Halladay and Lee for at least a year.   

BigEd76

The Phils picked up Rollins' $8.5M option for 2011 today

mpmcgraw

Completely unnecessary at this point and in turn, retarded. 

MDS

lol @ you

if they extneded jrol past 11 it would be a mistake but 11 is the last year for this group and jimmy IS this group. at worst hes a halfway decent 7 hitter and gives you great defense at ss.

stop instigating you loser.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

The stupid part is picking it up when they apparently could have waited till next offseason.

Shocking you missed the blatantly obvious point though.  Your gonna be a great sports writer!