2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: Rome on December 15, 2009, 02:53:08 PM
In three years the Phillies will be laden with an aging, injury-prone roster of overpaid stars on downward career trajectories. 

Halladay will fit in perfectly.

dont you realize its over after 11. they arent the sox or the yanks, they can just spend spend spend. they are gonna resign some of the guys they have now. the other spots are gonna be taken by the youngins and fa fill ins. those might or might not work out. we dont know if happ will hold up or if brown will pan out.

we know that halladay is the best pitcher in baseball.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2009, 03:08:03 PM
so they traded drabek and taylor so that they could have halladay for one year (2011)

2010 they could have had lee anyway so you take out that year

and ill admit halladay is slightly better than lee but not drabek and taylor better...and age wise its certainly not a given that he will be better....i just think its to big of a price to pay for essentially a lateral move

they clearly wanted the prospects for lee. they have to feeling 1 or 2 of the guys will be players in the 11 and 12 seasons. that has to be it. cant say its smart but it is what it is.

i would have kept lee for this year to have the 1 2 3 ace thing and let my 2010 ws ring relax me when the phils are middling in 12 13 and 14
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: PhillyGirl on December 15, 2009, 02:50:19 PM
My question, and forgive me if this was already discussed, is why didn't they trade for Halladay in the summer and given Drabek/Brown, etc to Toronto then? Does anyone think the WS might have had a different outcome with Lee AND Halladay?

Just the thought of having those two on the roster during the playoffs/WS caused me to pass out.  This exact thought has crossed my mind about 7000 times since this went down yesterday.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

2012:

c- ruiz
1b- ?
2b- utley
ss - ?
3b - polanco
of- brown
of- werth/vic
of - vic/fa

sp- doc
sp- hamels
sp- happ
sp- ?
sp - ?

cl- lidge
set- ?
set- ?
rest of bullpen- ????

i think you lock up werth now and if you win, could get someone stupid like victorino for a hometown discount. hes made it clear he wants to stay here and again, is just a stupid human being who would take less to stay here.

LBIggle

thats what ridiculous about it.. is that they gave up lee 1. like they were in any rush to do so.   and 2. by simply holding onto lee they get two of their very own draft picks when he walks.   giving up drabek and taylor for doc, lee, hamels..   sure.  giving them up then giving lee up so the season still relies on the smelly vadge straightening it out and still not being able to beat the yankees = fail.  the outfield prospect is DEAF, and the pitching prospect is a reliever.   we need a reliever now.. not in 3 years.  either way you slice it, they botched the lee thing.  no reason to trade him and every reason to hold onto him.

LBIggle

Seabiscuit36

World is ending in 2012 folks, dont have to worry about the future, should have kept lee
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

here's the problem with basically swapping lee for halladay.....halladay isn't an every day player.  so realistically, maybe he accounts for 3-5 more wins during the regular season.  in the post season, it's pretty hard to out perform lee.  he can equal the performance, but it's not like halladay is going to lose less or win more games in october.   

halladay might have better stats, but overall i don't really see this as a dramatic improvement.  it's more of a step sideways than forward. 

what the phils should have done was make tha halladay trade and then shop blanton for pennies on the dollar in terms of prospects in return.  or package blanton and a mid-level prospect in exchange for another teams top tier prospect. 

the entire reason i still wanted the phils to go after halladay this year is so that you have have doc and lee with about 65-70 starts between them for this year.  you can still sign halladay long term and if lee wants to walk at the end of the year, then you take the 2 #1 picks you get as comp and send him on his way. 

now you've got halladay locked up, a top prospect from the blanton trade, 2 top draft picks and the bulk of your highly touted prospects still waiting in the wings.  not to mention that you're running out the best 1-2 starting combo since johnson and schilling.  not that they won a ws or anything.  wtf was rube thinking?

Seabiscuit36

Rube needed a righty, and to have cash for a reliever
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BigEd76

I didn't realize teams were lining up to take Blanton off our hands and pay his whole salary.  Everyone is making it sound like it'd be simple as hell to just completely clear $7M and keep Lee....

MDS

couldnt they have non tendered blanton?

and halladay can go every 3 days so he gets you max 8 wins in the postseason.

LBIggle

there was no rush to deal lee.  even if it was a numbers game. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: BigEd76 on December 15, 2009, 04:12:06 PM
I didn't realize teams were lining up to take Blanton off our hands and pay his whole salary.  Everyone is making it sound like it'd be simple as hell to just completely clear $7M and keep Lee....

probably not lining up, banging on the front door to get him, but if the phils put it out there that they were looking to move him, i'm sure that there would be some teams out there with some interest. 

and no, it probably wouldn't be simple to clear the salary but it's something that could be done with a little work.....something rube didn't bother trying.  spend a month trying to shop blanton or any other means of freeing up some cash.  if it works, you've got a dominating top of the rotation combo.  if it doesn't, then you trade lee before the start of spring training and get what you can for him.  it's not going to be any less than what the phils got today. 

ice grillin you

blanton at one year for seven million easily could have been moved

and just for the sake of argument lets say they couldnt move him...the notion that seven million dollars is a lot to a team that is making money hand over fist is ridiculous

and they wouldnt even have to worry about blantons money if amaro hadnt gave that ridiculous two year deal to moyer...i love how the phils dont want lee because he wanted a five year deal but had no problem signing moyer to two years at retarded money
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

phils won ws = moyer contract

phils lose ws = lee traded to seattle

thing that pisses me off is that the phils had been sending a message over the last 2 years that they will spend money and improve the team and it seemed like they were going to be the anti-eagles.  like they got a taste of winning and want more and are willing to spend some money to make it happen.  and now this bullshtein.