2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

when i first heard about this today i was thinking that it was a 3 team trade.  didn't realize that it's actually 2 separate trades.  that really doesn't make any damn sense to me at all. 

the phils have the ability to trade for halladay without giving up lee and i guess the only reason that they are looking to move lee is so they don't have to pay his salary this year?  i don't get it. 

lee is only scheduled to make 8mil this year so it's not like he's breaking the bank already.  are you telling me that the phils can't free up 7 or 8 million worth of payroll?  someone said that blanton is due 7 mil this year and this is the last year of his contract.  so if the phils are willing to pay joey b 7mil for a year, why the hell wouldn't they be willing to pay cliff farging lee 8mil?  why not put some feelers out there for a blanton trade and see what you get out of it? 

it really doesn't make any sense.  only the phils could do something so awesome like getting roy halladay and still find a way to farg the day up somehow.  i mean damn, it's like i want to be farging stoked about halladay but i really can't since they're giving up cliff lee on the same day. 

Munson

The only way it makes any kind of sense is Lee gets them a couple top prospects back to replace the ones they gave up. But it's still kinda zesty to give up Lee and two out of your top 3 prospects. and by kinda zesty I mean really zesty
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

It's far from established that the deal is actually two separate trades.

ice grillin you

this is a tough one on how to feel about it

why didnt they just trade lee for aumont and gillies then sign lackey

to give up drabek in this mess is baffling......at least they didnt give up brown but i just cant believe after all they said about him in the end they are giving up drabek

drabek
taylor
arnaud
marson
martinez
knapp
carrasco
donald

for

halladay
aumont
gillies

or if you wanna weed out the trash its

drabek
taylor
arnaud
knapp

for

halladay
aumont
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

To be fair, they did get half a year of Lee and a WS run too.

Eagles_Legendz

The thing I still don't understand is if you're willing to finally move Drabek etc than why not stick with Lee for a year and take the two picks when he leaves?  The rumors of the Phillies getting back Aumont, Gillies, and Ramirez are all well and good, but Aumont might end up being the only significant one in that group.

ice grillin you

Quote from: QB Eagles on December 15, 2009, 06:33:51 AM
To be fair, they did get half a year of Lee and a WS run too.

well then you have to include lee in the package of players they gave up for halladay and then the deal looks horribly bad

Seabiscuit36

not liking giving up the farm, and giving away Lee.  I know the money part, but to now give up Drabek and Lee isnt what i want to see
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

reese125

so instead of that 1-2 punch that is so crucial for a world series run or win, the phillies are back to a 1 punch they originally had with Lee.

this was probably talked about amongst you more involved Phillie heads, but is this not a wash more than anything--regardless of the prospects?

ice grillin you

i wouldnt say its exactly a wash because halladay is definitely better than lee

Eaglez

Maybe they'll say screw it and keep Lee and go boom or bust this season.  Even if Lee leaves people here say they would get 2 first round picks for him.  I think a top of the rotation with Halladay and Lee for an entire season and presumably for the playoffs is too good to pass up, even if their farm system is left depleted. 

I mean for one season to have Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Happ, and Blanton as the rotation has got to be the best rotation the Phils have ever put together in the "modern era."  High risk, high reward there. 

ice grillin you

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Eaglez on December 15, 2009, 10:55:53 AM
Maybe they'll say screw it and keep Lee and go boom or bust this season.  Even if Lee leaves people here say they would get 2 first round picks for him.  I think a top of the rotation with Halladay and Lee for an entire season and presumably for the playoffs is too good to pass up, even if their farm system is left depleted. 

I mean for one season to have Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Happ, and Blanton as the rotation has got to be the best rotation the Phils have ever put together in the "modern era."  High risk, high reward there. 

I already posted that its a done deal. Lee's gone.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
i wouldnt say its exactly a wash because halladay is definitely better than lee

no question he is, but i was going off the idea of having (2) pitchers that can come in and be lights out come playoff time. you just traded CY Young for Cy Young--wheres the huge benefit?