2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

i won't really hate on that at all.  loved him when he was here before and i'll take his .285 career avg over pete happy's .254 any day. 

polanco also had a .997 fielding % last year compared to pedro's .966.  obviously 3rd base is a much harder position to field but i can't say for certain that polanco will drop 3 full percentage points with the switch.  and even if he does, that puts him even with feliz but still puts a better bat in the lineup.

would have preferred figgens because he would have fit in the lineup better being a true lead off guy, but this is still better than most other alternatives not named matt holiday. 

LBIggle

whatever.   better bat.. probably better glove? most likely for the same 5 mil.

resign the jap u stupid spick.  you don't improve your bullpen by letting your best bullpen arm walk for nothing.

moyers contract isn't still guaranteed if he dies, right?

ice grillin you

petes glove >>>>>>> polancos

i imagine at 3rd base polanco would be a mess

overall i guess id rather have polanco but barely
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I wouldn't call him a mess; he's a pretty solid glove. He played third awhile after the Rolen trade.

But is he gonna flash the leather like Pete? No way.

Is he better than Mark DeRosa there? Yes. I'm happy they've decided to not go after him.

phillycrew

Polanco was fine at 3rd before and will be fine again.  Good right hand bat.  Also, get Randy Wolf because you know Moyer is going to drop his colostomy bag again at some point.

ice grillin you

he was ok at best at third FOUR YEARS AGO

Eagles_Legendz

igy,

His glove isn't the issue, it's whether his arm can make the transition.  He's always had a strong glove, that isn't going to change now that he's at 3rd.  The question is whether his arm will hold up.  For what it's worth, and it was 4 years ago, his fielding metrics back then when he played 3rd were strong. 

His OPS has been significantly better than Feliz' the last 4 years.  His career avg is .303 which is higher than Feliz' career OBP.  I don't love Polanco but he should be better than Feliz as long as he's not a defensive disaster.  Would have preferred Beltre though.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on December 03, 2009, 10:04:21 AM
igy,

His glove isn't the issue, it's whether his arm can make the transition.  He's always had a strong glove, that isn't going to change now that he's at 3rd.  The question is whether his arm will hold up.  For what it's worth, and it was 4 years ago, his fielding metrics back then when he played 3rd were strong. 

His OPS has been significantly better than Feliz' the last 4 years.  His career avg is .303 which is higher than Feliz' career OBP.  I don't love Polanco but he should be better than Feliz as long as he's not a defensive disaster.  Would have preferred Beltre though.

where did i say his glove was an issue and his arm wasnt

and where did i say he wasnt a better option than feliz much less a better offensive option

BigEd76

3 years, $18M

hate

he'll return to the #2 spot in the lineup and Shane will drop

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

what an awful contract

the phillies better win the world series next year because 2011 and 2012 could be really ugly

Eagles_Legendz

2/12 would have been so much better than 3/18.  He's not going to be anymore than a utility player by then making 6 mill.

Rome

Shut up and wait to see what happens.  If it's a bad deal, who cares?  It ain't your money anyway.

Eagles_Legendz

It matters if it prevents them from spending $ on someone 3 years from now because it's tied up in Polanco.

Regardless, he should be a marked improvement over Feliz at least offensively.

Rome

$6M on a payroll expected to be over $150M is nothing.

Look, I wanted Beltre but I have to believe he was asking for truly ridiculous money and years, so I'm fine with peanuthead.

And before anyone regails me with the benefits of Feliz's glove, let me remind you he was less than stellar last year.   Whatever Polanco lacks with the leather he more than makes up with the bat, so shut it.