2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

I just don't understand how Rube can be so stupid at something that Gillick excelled at and Wade was competent at.  

The logic he used here is mind boggling.  Not offering Eyre makes sense, but Chan Ho would get 3.5 in arb tops and he won't accept it because he is crazy and still thinks he can start, there is no downside.  

Rome

Billy Wagner just signed for $7M with the Braves.  How is Park only going to get half of that in arbitration?

Eaglez

Polanco wasn't offered arbitration from the Tigers.  This should open the door for the Phils to try and bring him back.  He may not have the range of Feliz but I like his bat much better.  He's the contact hitter this team needs for a price most likely much lower than Figgins. 

mpmcgraw

Quote from: Rome on December 02, 2009, 03:48:42 PM
Billy Wagner just signed for $7M with the Braves.  How is Park only going to get half of that in arbitration?

Because relief pitchers who signed for 2 million a year before as a free agent and only had a good year generally don't get their salary doubled, believe it or not.

mpmcgraw

Quote from: Eaglez on December 02, 2009, 03:53:39 PM
Polanco wasn't offered arbitration from the Tigers.  This should open the door for the Phils to try and bring him back.  He may not have the range of Feliz but I like his bat much better.  He's the contact hitter this team needs for a price most likely much lower than Figgins. 
Polanco vs Feliz is like having someone rusty hook you as oppose to poop down your throat.  Ideally you don't have either of them.

Eaglez

Also I'm starting to get annoyed how Amaro prefaces every sentence with "I don't have an unlimited budget."  No shtein but you also don't get a group of guys who can compete for a title for probably 2-3 more years.  I just hope the stinginess doesn't come back to bite them.

Eaglez

Quote from: jihadist monk on December 02, 2009, 03:58:35 PM
Quote from: Eaglez on December 02, 2009, 03:53:39 PM
Polanco vs Feliz is like having someone rusty hook you as oppose to poop down your throat.  Ideally you don't have either of them.

Maybe.  But I'd much rather have a bat in there that can make consistent contact, move runners, and get on base.  This team has enough guys that swing for the fences.  He would at least bring some balance to the lineup when it is obvious Ruben isn't going to spring for someone who is going to be a large financial commitment when they have so much invested in the other three infield spots. 

Rome

Quote from: jihadist monk on December 02, 2009, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: Rome on December 02, 2009, 03:48:42 PM

Because relief pitchers who signed for 2 million a year before as a free agent and only had a good year generally don't get their salary doubled, believe it or not.

Park signed for less with the Phillies because they guaranteed him a chance to start.  Therefore the money he signed for last year is irrelevant to what he'd command in this market, especially considering how great he was as a set-up man.

Again, Wagner pitched in 13 games yet commanded 7 million dollars.

Expecting Park to sign for peanuts is stupid even for you.

PhillyPhreak54

They should have offered him arbitration.

And now they shouldn't let him leave....keep him. The key is to strengthen the bullpen, not weaken it. ANd Ho Chi leaving weakens it.

Whats your thoughts about bringing Peanut Head back? I loved him when he was here.

Rome

I want Ho Chi Minh back.  I'd be fine with Polanco although I doubt he wants to play third again.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteThe most shocking call on the day teams had to decide whether to offer their free agents arbitration had to be the Dodgers not offering it to steady starter Randy Wolf (11-7, 1.10 WHIP). That could be an indication where L.A. finances stand. Anyone who thought they'd get into the Halladay talks must have been dreaming. This could enhance Wolf's value, though. The Mets, Brewers and Phillies are among teams believed to have some interest.

QuoteBrian Schneider (.218) was more popular as a free agent than one might imagine. The Royals were trying hard for him before the Phillies swooped in with a two-year deal.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

lol @ the dodgers not being able to afford randy wolf.  this is going to be the worst off season for them in quite some time.  manny's got his 20mil option that i don't know if he formally excersized it yet, but after last season there's no way he doesn't as no team out there will pay him more than that. 

and with ownership going through a divorce, all of frank mccourt's money is hidden somewhere because he reported last week that he "only" had 100+ grand in his personal checking account.  presumably, he is trying to show that he doesn't have an ass load of money to avoid paying excessive spousal support so he's definitely not going to be writing large paychecks while his divorce is ongoing. 

so basically, the phils biggest competition in the nl is treading water.  of course, i'd feel better if they were doing something about it like offering arbitration to chan ho "citizen's bank" park or scott "the apple of my" eyre.  but whatever.   

The BIGSTUD

Phils seemed to have settled on Polanco and are trying to work out a deal with him.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.