2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: jihadist monk on November 08, 2009, 10:28:51 PM
Beltre is better defensively than Feliz and much better offensively and is 6 (?) years younger.

Under 4 years younger.

449 AB, 119 hits, 27 doubles, 0 triples, 8 HR, 44 RBI, 13 stolen bases, 19 walks, .265 BA
580 AB, 154 hits, 30 doubles, 2 triples, 12 HR, 82 RBI, 12 stolen bases, 35 walks, .266 BA

One of these is Beltre in 2009, one is Feliz.

mpmcgraw

Beltre had a real bad year, but he was hurt all year and then had a testicle torn off in a game in August to top it all off.

I think he'll rebound nicely.

mpmcgraw

QuoteConsistent greatness is Chase Utley's calling card. His wOBAs from 2005 through 2009 have all been inside the range of .389 to .420. His UZRs during that stretch vary only from +9.8 to +20.5. In the last five seasons, Chase Utley's worst season, 2006, had him as a 6.8 WAR player. His best, 2008, he was an 8.1 WAR player.

For five seasons Chase Utley (38 total wins) has been just a smidgen less valuable than Albert Pujols (40.4 total wins) has been. Thank goodness that he is losing his mind in this World Series because hopefully now he'll start getting more credit. He's been close to the best player in baseball over the last half-decade and how many people would have included him in the top ten?
Utley's 54.8 runs above average came in nearly equal portions each season. His 17.6 runs was 11th best in 2007, his 22.8 runs was the overall best in 2008 and his 14.4 runs was 18th best this past year.

By the way, with the pretty big caveat that the 2009 awards have yet to be announced, I find it worth pointing out that none of the top five players for the period of 2007-9 have won a Gold Glove in that period. Hopefully the 2009 slate rectifies that

MDS

beltre isnt a great option, but the most realistic.

youre basically taking a slightly better version of feliz but 6 years younger
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phillymic2000

Quote from: MDS on November 09, 2009, 01:51:10 AM
beltre isnt a great option, but the most realistic.

youre basically taking a slightly better version of feliz but 6 years younger

Sold

Eaglez

Figgins would be solid.  A guy that hits for average that can make some noise on the base pads.  This team has enough power 3-5 (maybe 6 depending if Ibanez shows the same pop as last year).  What they need is someone to help this team hit for average and not try to mash every ball out of the park. 

Probably too expensive though. 

MDS

5/50 rumored asking price for chone

the phils already have 109 committed, including a combined 2.2 mil to feliz, eaton and jenkins.

that leaves them with about 20 to play with. and here are the arbitration cases:

Blanton (5.4 in 09)
Vic (3.1)
Ruiz (475k)
Francisco (420k)
Happ (425k)
Durbin (1.6)

Figure 7.5 for Blanton, 7 for Vic, 2 for Ruiz, 2 for Happ and 2 for Durbin. Those are broad estimations. That's about 20 right there. Maybe it goes a little less, but that $ will go to the bench.

So basically the payroll will be about 130+ whatever it takes to sign a 3B. The question is does management spend 5 mil extra (Beltre, Polanco, DeRosa, etc.) or 10 (Figgins). I'd go with 5.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on November 10, 2009, 12:00:21 PM

the phils already have 109 committed, including a combined 2.2 mil to feliz, eaton   and jenkins.

Eaton, he just won't go away.  Jenkins key hit in WS, Feliz winning hit in game 5 of 08 WS = lifetime pass.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

jenkins yes, feliz no.  after his performance this year we're even. 

btw, i would farging love for placido to come back to philly and play 3rd but i doubt he be willing to. 

SunMo

they aren't paying eaton, feliz or jenkins this upcoming year
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

500k to eaton and feliz, 1.2 to geoff

the first 2 are buyouts, not sure about jenkins im pretty thats what it is.

so not the roste but the $ is factored in.

reese125

Quote from: Eaglez on November 10, 2009, 11:33:52 AM
Figgins would be solid.  A guy that hits for average that can make some noise on the base pads.  This team has enough power 3-5 (maybe 6 depending if Ibanez shows the same pop as last year).  What they need is someone to help this team hit for average and not try to mash every ball out of the park. 

Probably too expensive though. 

Take a look at Figgins' stats for the post-season. They have been atrocious since 2004, and there is good reason that the Angels dont want to keep him

Sgt PSN

that's the one big knock on figgens is that he comes up small in the playoffs.  but you don't shy away from a player because of his performance during a 3 week period in october.  you sign a player that you think will make daily contributions to your team and help get you to october.  at that point, it's all a crap shoot.  who gets hot, who goes cold.  more often than not, that's what gets a team to the ws and ultimately wins it.  

so to ignore any player's stats for 162 games and focus on 7 or 8 games in october is probably one of the dumbest things a gm could do.  

Rome

They're clearing salary to get Halladay.

Book it.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 10, 2009, 02:56:32 PM
that's the one big knock on figgens is that he comes up small in the playoffs.  but you don't shy away from a player because of his performance during a 3 week period in october.  you sign a player that you think will make daily contributions to your team and help get you to october.  at that point, it's all a crap shoot.  who gets hot, who goes cold.  more often than not, that's what gets a team to the ws and ultimately wins it. 

so to ignore any player's stats for 162 games and focus on 7 or 8 games in october is probably one of the dumbest things a gm could do. 

^^^
exactly

a-rod and GRIT say      
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous