2008 Week 13 / 14 / 15

Started by BigEd76, November 26, 2008, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Refs got two calls incorrect AFTER instant replay.  Both went against Baltimore.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

The BIGSTUD

The coaches weren't 100% sure after the game. It makes sense that if the feet are down in the end zone, the ball doesn't have to cross the goal line. The ball should only have to cross the goal line if your body isn't in the end zone.

But I don't think that is the rule, and it is stupid that it isn't.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

of course its not a dumb rule...the goaline is not a yardline its the same thing as a sideline or an endline
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 14, 2008, 08:19:27 PM
of course its not a dumb rule...the goaline is not a yardline its the same thing as a sideline or an endline

You have this backward - the only reason the rule makes sense is because the goal line is a yard line and not a boundary.  Progress on the field is always measured by the position of the ball, while out of bounds is based on the position of the body.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Cerevant on December 15, 2008, 08:07:23 AM

You have this backward - the only reason the rule makes sense is because the goal line is a yard line and not a boundary.  Progress on the field is always measured by the position of the ball, while out of bounds is based on the position of the body.

negative chief...there is no zero yardline...it goes by the ball on yard markers so you know where to spot it for the next play...and there is no next play when youre over the goal line

when its a line whether end side or goal it goes by the body

stick to curling
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

shorebird

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2008, 08:14:45 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on December 15, 2008, 08:07:23 AM

negative chief...there is no zero yardline...it goes by the ball on yard markers so you know where to spot it for the next play...and there is no next play when youre over the goal line

when its a line whether end side or goal it goes by the body

stick to curling

The Canadian is correct. If it goes by the body, then why, when a player falls over the goal line but his feet are on the one, isn't it marked at the one? Boundries are sidelines and the back of the endzone. The goal line is a yard marker. The end zone is still in the field of play. The rule specifies that the ball must cross the plane of the goal line. It didn't, and the refs screwed it up.

Tom Jackson and Chris Berman explained it this morning. I give Baltimore and guys like Ray Lewis credit though. They didn't cry about it and blame the refs, saying that wasn't what cost the game. Although I disagree, and would have like to have seen if the Steelers would have gone for the tie or the win.

Feva

Quote from: shorebird on December 15, 2008, 08:49:27 AM
The Canadian is correct. If it goes by the body, then why, when a player falls over the goal line but his feet are on the one, isn't it marked at the one? Boundries are sidelines and the back of the endzone. The goal line is a yard marker. The end zone is still in the field of play. The rule specifies that the ball must cross the plane of the goal line. It didn't, and the refs screwed it up.

Tom Jackson and Chris Berman explained it this morning. I give Baltimore and guys like Ray Lewis credit though. They didn't cry about it and blame the refs, saying that wasn't what cost the game. Although I disagree, and would have like to have seen if the Steelers would have gone for the tie or the win.

You guys are right that the ball is what determines a TD, not the player's body... but the ball doesn't have to cross the plane into the end zone.  Think of the goal line extending upward, the ball has to only touch or "break" the front of the goal line... and it did do that in Holmes' possession, ever so slightly.  That was a TD.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

shorebird

On the replays I couldn't really tell, it was kinda' blurred, so it would  be inconclusive evidence. Also, that was not the explaination the refs gave on the field. They stated that his feet were in the end zone, which doesn't have anything to do with the rule.

Feva

The only thing I remember them talking about his feet were if they were on the ground while having possession... but yeah, you're right, It doesn't matter where his feet were as long as the ball broke the plane.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Eagles_Legendz

Need to be big Vikings and Chargers fans next week.  I really like Minnesota's chances at home vs ATL.  No idea what to expect from either Tampa or SD in that game.

SunMo

the ref totally botched the explanation when talking about the feet.  in fact, he didn't talk about the ball in relation to the goal line at all.  but it certainly appears that the tip of the ball broke the plane, i don't have a problem with that being over turned.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

i wouldn't have a problem with it being a TD if that's what was called on the field, but the whole purpose of instant replay is that they can reverse a call if there is absolute conclusive evidence on film.  with as many people as there are today still complaining about it, it obviously was not conclusive.  defeats the whole purpose of the system. 

and yeah why the hell was the ref even talking about the guys feet?  there was some dumb steelers fan girl at my house yelling about how his feet were in the endzone, and then i told her how dumb she was.  then the ref goes and basically reinforced what she was saying. 

Father Demon

Haha..  you're dumber than a dumb steelers fan girl
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Cerevant

Quote from: EagleFeva on December 15, 2008, 09:17:06 AM
Quote from: shorebird on December 15, 2008, 08:49:27 AM

You guys are right that the ball is what determines a TD, not the player's body... but the ball doesn't have to cross the plane into the end zone.  Think of the goal line extending upward, the ball has to only touch or "break" the front of the goal line... and it did do that in Holmes' possession, ever so slightly.  That was a TD.

Exactly.  In fact, the plane extends out of bounds, hence the "launch rule" that says the ball doesn't even need to be inside the pylon to score.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.