2008 76ers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, May 02, 2008, 06:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on June 22, 2008, 09:00:51 PM
so hes a smaller version of dalembert but with coordination?

smith has more offensive talent in his mushroom cap than sammy has in his entire body...josh reminds me of a taller corey magette headband and all...he plays a lot smaller than he is which is my concern as far as him being  a power forward
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

run with us, havy. run with us.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

reese125

Smith is not the guy you count on down in the block, and that is what the Sixers desperately need. Yes the boy has some off the wall athleticism and can fill the stat sheet, but without the low-post presence you're just playing cat and mouse on the defensive end

It would be so nice for once to see a lob pass down in the post, and watch somebody back an opponent down, dribble once or twice for a turn around shot or lay in--just once

SD_Eagle5

Sixers are a fast break team, in that way Smith is a perfect fit. He's only 22 so he still has room to develop a low post game.  I'd be thrilled with either him or Brand. I'd sign and trade Iggy for either of them. If they can somehow hold onto Iggy and still get Smith all the better.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on June 22, 2008, 09:56:02 PM
Sixers are a fast break team, in that way Smith is a perfect fit.

i keep hearing this everywhere and i just dont buy it...the sixers are a fast break team not because their coach or gm carry that philosophy but because thats the personel they have...ask phoenix and dallas how the all fast break way works...you need toughness and defense to win nba championships...now they could possibly add smith and other smaller pieces that fit that bill but they have to be careful about adding smith if it is going to drastically prohibit what else they can do...whether this summer or in future years 

SD_Eagle5

It is the personel, it's also the way Mo uses them. They don't have shooters so he tailored the teams play to their personel. They differ from the Mavs in that they can buckle down and play D. The Mavs can play the break but can shoot lights out from the floor if the lanes are being clogged. The Sixers don't have that luxury. I'm sure Mo would like for them to slow the game down at times but he doesn't have the outside shooters to make it happen.

ice grillin you

right...mo taylored the game to the talent he had last year...but thats not what he wants to do nor is it his philosophy so why would they continue it by signing a josh smith...smith would be the perfect fit IF thats what the team was gonna do for the foreseeable future...smith would also be a great get if right now they were a plodding all defense team as he would add monster talent...but the team is the exact opposite of that in that they have lots of young offensive talent but no toughness defense or rebounding....and they dont really need a josh smith if you really look at it

reese125

To piggy IGY, fast break teams equate to garbage come playoff time...its been proven time and time again with the champs being a half-court squad.

Sure, give me Smith for some more defense but you better damn well have a legit threat from the outside and a post player . As a matter of fact, you might need 2 legit threats. Mo better tailor another way if wants to build a championship somehow because this running up and down the court better than other teams looks cute and all.... but it dont mean diddley

ice grillin you

mo has said many times that he is a defensive coach...i mean hes not chuck dailey but hes not a run and gunner either....hes been adapting to what hes been given....nothing more nothing less...i have much faith in stefanski to build the team in the right manner and again while i like josh smith quite a bit im just not sure thats the way to go with the roster the way it is now...but as i said a couple posts ago maybe eddie has a plan in place in his mind where they can get josh smith and still add the necessary blue collar pieces that they desperately need (and hopefully shooters as well)...i mean theres a reason we are posting in a message board sixers thread and eddie is a nba gm

phattymatty

SD_Eagle5

QuoteFormer Philadelphia 76er Aaron F. McKie was arrested this morning on charges he lied while trying to buy two pistols despite a restraining order banning weapons possession.
McKie, 35, is to be arraigned this afternoon in Montgomery County Magisterial District Court on one felony and one misdemeanor count stemming from his April 8 trip to Abington Gun Sports in Upper Moreland Township.

While filling out paperwork to buy a .38-caliber Smith and Wesson and a 9 mm Ruger, McKie denied that he was subject to a court order restraining him from harassing his "child or an intimate partner or child of such partner," even though a Delaware County restraining order had been filed in September against him.

Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman said that the reasons for the restraining order are confidential and that it formally prohibits McKie from buying or having guns for a year. A computer check at the gun shop had found the restraining order, and McKie was turned away from purchasing the guns, she said. Later, investigators found he had voluntarily signed the restraining order that forbade him from having firearms.

McKie, who lives in Narberth, excelled as a basketball player for Simon Gratz High School and Temple University before his NBA career. He was the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year while playing for the Eastern Conference Champion 76ers team in 2000-01. He most recently played in the NBA in 2007.

Last season, he worked as a 76ers assistant coach until he was signed by the Los Angeles Lakers last year to a $750,000 contract to fulfill salary-cap requirements of a trade for Memphis Grizzly star Pau Gasol. McKie was sent to the Grizzlies but did not see any playing time.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

anyone else all all drafted up?

for the three people that care gimme who you think the sixers will take and who you want them to take

PoopyfaceMcGee

phattymatty

i feel like the sixers have to go big.  i'm hoping they get deandre jordan, to me he seems to have the most upside if he puts on some weight and can turn out to be a dwight howard type.  i think speights is a real possibility too and wouldn't be upset with him.  

i do not want them to touch that koufos kid or mcgee from nevada.  i love me some hibbert, but the sixers don't need two lanky stick figures in the middle.

my list goes 1. jordan 2. arthur 3. speights