2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I don't see the point of trading for Brian Fuentes.  The Phillies already have the best bullpen in the business.  If you're going to give up a blue chip prospect like Carrasco, you package him for a superstar, not a reliever (although Fuentes is a pretty damn good one).

It just seems like the Phillies have given up any hope of landing an ace starter, so instead they've resolved to make the bullpen as bulletproof as possible.

Whatever, though.

Go Eagles.

SunMo

i wouldn't hate it...the bullpen has shown signs of cracking lately.  gordon is a mess and romero is their only lefty.  so fuentes would solve a few problems
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

He'd come to Philly and then fall to pieces like a K-Mart suit.

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2008, 12:35:02 PM
I don't see the point of trading for Brian Fuentes.  The Phillies already have the best bullpen in the business.  If you're going to give up a blue chip prospect like Carrasco, you package him for a superstar, not a reliever (although Fuentes is a pretty damn good one).

It just seems like the Phillies have given up any hope of landing an ace starter, so instead they've resolved to make the bullpen as bulletproof as possible.

Whatever, though.

Go Eagles.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing though, Jef.

There aren't too many stud starters to be had, so the next best thing is to have a lock-down 'pen. You know Kendrick and Moyer are good for 6. That leaves them with Madson, Romero, Durbin, Fuentes and Lidge to close it out on those days. I like those odds. Especially with this offense.

King can give you 7-9 strong.

It's on my boy Myers to come back ready and Blanton to give them 6-7 strong.

Tighten up the bullpen with another lefty and get a solid bat to use off the bench and I'm happy.

DFA Eaton and DFA So and be done with it.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2008, 12:35:02 PM

Carrasco for Fuentes I don't do. Carrasco/Victorino/Savery/Donald for Fuentes and Holliday I do in a heartbeat. You'd have the best lineup in the league and maybe the top bullpen. Postseasons all about starting pitching but a good lineup and bullpen can makeup for some of that.

Rome

Right - the trade for Holliday & Fuentes is a no-brainer.  I actually laughed out loud when I read some of the anti-Holliday comments that were posted earlier in this thread.

Stoopid.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on July 19, 2008, 11:56:04 AM
and yes, hollidays road splits indicate he isnt the same kind of player away from coors.

and yet his numbers away from coors compare favorably to burrell at home

holliday last year on the road
11 hr
55 rbi
22 2b
53 runs

burrell last year at HOME
16 hr
60 rbi
18 2b
41 runs

even with burrell having the advantage of playing at the bank hollidays numbers are equivalent...then of course holliday at home vs burrell anywhere just absolutely murders pat...in other words holliday is so much better than burrell its not even funny...in fact you can make a strong argument that holliday is the best offensive player in the national league
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Kendrick got torched today.

Phils were up 1-0 then went down 3-1.  Came back and tied it at 3 and then immediately went down 4-3.  Came back and tied it at 4 and then went down 7-4 (which is where they are now).

All this and I can't watch the game because they're in Florida (300 miles away) and not on television because the world would stop spinning if the Red Sox weren't on television on Saturday.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2008, 06:22:54 PM
All this and I can't watch the game because they're in Florida (300 miles away) and not on television because the world would stop spinning if the Red Sox weren't on television on Saturday.

lol...this is funny

and at the same time makes me sad because its so true
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I might be better off anyway.  It's 9-4 now thanks to Rudy SeANez.

PhillyPhreak54

I had to order the spanish channel line-up to watch this crap. Its on Fox Sports Espanol.

Way to piss it away, assfargs.

The 2nd inning was really nice. Score one run and have two guys hosed at the plate because no one can get the ball out of the farging infield.

Booooooo.

Rome

Burrell hit a rocket to make it 9-5.  Bottom of the eight, though.

PhillyPhreak54

And they have a chance to tie it on a slam but Howard just misses crushing a fastball, then K's on a fastball down the middle because he was looking for a off-speed pitch and couldn't catch up to 96.

Burrell grounds out weakly; ballgame.

Let's go Reds.

MDS

you know getting texted score updates doesnt have the same luster as being in the dark until i come back here for 2 pages of whiney phillies fans posts.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.