2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

the phillies have enough offense with ace, jrol and the bat. they will never come to terms with howard long term because they dont think hes worth it and howard does. yes id trade him and yes igy is always right. we covered that.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 20, 2008, 12:12:51 AM
So should the Phillies trade him?

Let's say that he bounces back at hits .275 50 130....do you sell high?

hes never getting 50 again and without a tee he isnt hitting 275 again hell he might not hit 250 again...but your point is taken and is exactly right....if he even gets close to any of those numbers this year sell sell sell...i would have traded him last year (yes i know that wasnt realistic)
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I'm beginning to think so too. Although I think his numbers will reach those that I posted.

But if he gets there, the combination of selling high + his age + no long term deal + his fathers insistence on becoming the next Philadelphia parent to be in the limelight = sell.

Pick out some sucker of an AL team and grab an ace.

The problem here is that Ruben Amaro will be the one doing the dealing.

ice grillin you

we agree but for different reasons

you think hes an mvp candidate but should be traded

i think hes a liability and is only going to get worse and should be traded

MDS

boston i believe has ramirez and papi as fa's and a good farm system.

youkilis + young pitcher for choke dog?

something along those lines would be good i suppose.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 20, 2008, 12:36:38 AM
we agree but for different reasons

you think hes an mvp candidate but should be traded

i think hes a liability and is only going to get worse and should be traded

Well, I think he can hit those numbers this year. But I expect them to decline. So I hope he can hit them once more and then the Phillies deal him.

I hope I am wrong because he has (had?) the potential to be one of the best ever. But his reluctance to go the opposite way like he did as a rook is going to kill his game. Well, that and the fact he's a butcher in the field.

Maybe Seattle would take him for Felix Hernandez. Perfect dream there.

MDS

getting king felix is a pipe dream. they play in a giant ballpark, choke dog would be lucky to hit 35 there.

ice grillin you

felix would give up more homers in the bank than choke would hit in seattle

PhillyPhreak54

I just fear that the Phils will get jobbed in a trade. Whether it be Wade getting worked on the Rolen deal or Gillick getting boned on the Abreu trade (are any of those guys still in the phils system?)

Find one GM who will deal a young pitcher...

Howard to SF for Lincecum? They need offense.

Geowhizzer

Seems that Howard has started extremely slow the last couple of years.  And, like Phreak, I have noticed a disturbing tendency to pull off the ball.  That MVP season went to his head a bit too much, I'm afraid.

This year I see a total of about .260, 40, 110 or so.  Look good, but with CBP inflation, not exactly stellar.

Almost reminds me of the Bull's decline about the same age.  The only problem is that the Bull got started at the MLB level at a much younger age.

MDS

to be fair to choke dog, he has hit 64 homers on the road and 63 at home over the last 3 years. so it aint the bank.

the problem is the pathetic average against lhp and all the k's. striking out really isnt that bad in many circumstances, but you just cant do it to excess. against lhp he strikes out once every three pa's (rough estimate, added his ab's + bb's + 25 for hbp's, sac fly's and such). thats really, really awful and it's not even worth it to play him against lhp.

the blue jays just got rid of frank thomas and need a dh. they have to believe they can compete with the yanks and sox this year, so maybe if old man gillick dangles choke dog at the them, he can pick up some young pitching or something (i know nothing about their farm system).

Sgt PSN

The only thing about that is that the Phils are (or should be) in a "win now" mentallity.  They've got too many good players in or entering their prime to trade a player like Howard for prospects who may or may not pan out and may not even be ready to come up for another year or 2. 

If they trade Howard then it should be for established players who can elevate this team right now.  Not 2 years from now. 

And let's face it, Howard puts people in the stands because of HR hitting ability.  Hamels is the only pitcher on this roster that people will pay money to see and is one of the few pitchers in the league with that effect.  The Phils would likely lose a ton of revenue if they deal Howard for prospects...especially pitchers.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on April 20, 2008, 12:57:56 PM
to be fair to choke dog, he has hit 64 homers on the road and 63 at home over the last 3 years. so it aint the bank.

the problem is the pathetic average against lhp and all the k's. striking out really isnt that bad in many circumstances, but you just cant do it to excess. against lhp he strikes out once every three pa's (rough estimate, added his ab's + bb's + 25 for hbp's, sac fly's and such). thats really, really awful and it's not even worth it to play him against lhp.

the blue jays just got rid of frank thomas and need a dh. they have to believe they can compete with the yanks and sox this year, so maybe if old man gillick dangles choke dog at the them, he can pick up some young pitching or something (i know nothing about their farm system).

Word is that the Jays have a prospect that's been tearing it up in Syracuse (Adam Lind) that they'll call up to play OF, and Matt Stairs will shift over to DH.

PoopyfaceMcGee