"Bryant" Westbrook - Pro Bowl player

Started by PhillyGirl, December 18, 2007, 05:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

his situational playcalling needs help in all areas...both in when to run or pass all the way down to what kind of pass when he does throw

in terms of running the ball tho its more than situationasl that needs to change...he needs to establish a running game as a whole not situationally
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

I agree... but I think it all falls under the umbrella of becoming less predictable.  I mean, if every fan watching knows that Andy's going to open every game with pass, draw, pass... and a pass into the flat on 3rd and short... the opposing defense/coordinators HAS TO know it's coming and will be prepared accordingly.

I also think you're on point with the type of running plays as well.  For example, the situation where Andy does occasionally run the ball on 3rd and short, how many times have we seen that pitch back to Westbrook trying to get to the edge?  3rd and short has to be about north and south running.  Nothing wrong with the off tackle stuff but you can't have him running sideline to sideline when he has to pick up the 1st.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

rjs246

Quote from: EagleFeva on December 20, 2007, 08:20:15 AM
I agree... but I think it all falls under the umbrella of becoming less predictable.  I mean, if every fan watching knows that Andy's going to open every game with pass, draw, pass... and a pass into the flat on 3rd and short... the opposing defense/coordinators HAS TO know it's coming and will be prepared accordingly.

I also think you're on point with the type of running plays as well.  For example, the situation where Andy does occasionally run the ball on 3rd and short, how many times have we seen that pitch back to Westbrook trying to get to the edge?  3rd and short has to be about north and south running.  Nothing wrong with the off tackle stuff but you can't have him running sideline to sideline when he has to pick up the 1st.

Bingo. I think we can all agree. The problem isn't Brian Westbrook in any way, the problem is Andy Reid and the thick layer of lard that he has encasing his brain.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

reese125

Quote3rd and short has to be about north and south running.  Nothing wrong with the off tackle stuff but you can't have him running sideline to sideline when he has to pick up the 1st.

whats sad about this is the Andy thinks he's playing Jedi mind tricks on opposing coaches by doing this. He probably thinks the whole defense will shift inside, so he can go outside. F that--use your pro-bowl tackle or guard and pound the friggin rock regardless

Tomahawk

Quote from: Phanatic on December 19, 2007, 10:41:32 PM
Statistics are fine and dandy but I think it's more about when and where this offense chooses to run. I mean I'll watch them call 4 straight run plays then 4 straight pass plays and it won't work because it's too predictable and doesn't make sense for the game situation.

It all comes down to the in game play calling and that sucks right now for the offense.

I'd like to see the stat on how many drives started with Pass, Run, Pass, Punt (90%?), and also how many times the Eagles have run the ball two downs in a row (.00001%?).

ice grillin you

the starts of eagle drives dont get tracked by run/pass but rather by under center/shotgun

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 20, 2007, 06:25:25 AM
im opposed to touches going to anyone other than westbrook...to want to more incorporate a second back into the offense is retarded....you dont hear people in sd saying get michael turner the ball more and no one in st louis complains that stepehen jackson needs help....so why does brian westbrook need another back

More touches for another running back means less passing attempts for McNabb/Kolb/Feeley/whoever.  That's the entire point.  The o-line the Eagles have is rediculously huge and built to knock people on their asses.  And with the recievers that this team has (and has had for 7 of the last 8 years) it should be a run first team.  

The Eagles should be doing what Jacksonville is doing.  Both teams are built about the same way on offense.  I think McNabb is a better QB than Gerrard but neither team has any real playmaking recievers.  Both teams do have excellent o-lines though and 2 rb's that compliment each other quite nicely.  

it all makes no sense and this infatuation with having a 1b running back is so overrated...they need to run the ball more and they need to do it with the second best running back in the nfl...buck is perfectly fine as a back up running back just as antonio pittman is in...he tony hunt or anyone else does not need to be getting more touches over westbrook...you win with your best players

If Westbrook is healthy than I don't think anyone in their right mind would give Buck or Hunt more touches than him.  That's stupid.  7-10 less passes for McNabb = 7-10 more carries to split among the running backs.  

basically what it comes down to with the running game is that the game plan needs to be changed not the personel

I think you just proved the point that rjs and I have been getting at.  So, uh, thanks for that.  

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 21, 2007, 12:47:46 PM
the starts of eagle drives dont get tracked by run/pass but rather by under center/shotgun

ha!

ice grillin you

we all agree they should run the ball more...where me and rjs disagree is that he thinks westbrooks touches are fine as is (including his amount of receptions) and that they need a second running back to get 100 or so touches...im completely against taking touches away from westbrook and giving them to some imaginary back up running back

reese125

QuoteThe Eagles should be doing what Jacksonville is doing.  Both teams are built about the same way on offense.  I think McNabb is a better QB than Gerrard but neither team has any real playmaking recievers.  Both teams do have excellent o-lines though and 2 rb's that compliment each other quite nicely. 

It will never happen where this team runs more because this coach practices and utilizes a west coast, pass first system  that will never ever change.  Any coach that changes jobs brings their system with him. Although nice, throw that idea out that window real quick

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 21, 2007, 01:06:23 PM
we all agree they should run the ball more...where me and rjs disagree is that he thinks westbrooks touches are fine as is (including his amount of receptions) and that they need a second running back to get 100 or so touches...im completely against taking touches away from westbrook and giving them to some imaginary back up running back

If you have Marion Barber III or even Chester Taylor, I like rjs's idea.

If you have Tony Hunt (who can't pick up a blitz to save his life) and Correll Buckhalter, I think IGY is on point.

Rome

I think you should all point loaded revolvers at your temples and pull the farging triggers.

PS: Happy Holidays.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 21, 2007, 02:39:30 PM
I think you should all point loaded revolvers at your temples and pull the farging triggers.

PS: Happy Holidays.

I'll just play QB when the defense is bringing the house and Tony Hunt is supposed to pick up the blitzing LB.

Same thing, with a slightly smaller likelihood of death.

Rome

Three pages of arguing over whether Westbrook should get three more touches per game or reallocate those touches to someone else = grounds for homicidal rage.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 21, 2007, 03:04:51 PM
Three pages of arguing over whether Westbrook should get three more touches per game or reallocate those touches to someone else = grounds for homicidal rage.

It wouldn't even be a question if we had a clone of Sean Taylor in our backfield, dead or alive.