Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

In short, it's not an issue today.  Won't be an issue tomorrow or in the short term/immediate future, but 5 or 10 or 20 years from now could be a farging disaster if it's not addressed properly. 

Diomedes

Consider the situation of the house regarding grades and elevations.  Is it in a hole?  Up on a hill?  Why is water running toward the house?  Because of some minor shtein that's been ignored and can be addressed?  Or did a smart guy put a house in a lousy spot and the house is just always going to have water piling up against it?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

It is not on a hill itself, across the street are homes that are right at the bottom of a decent sized hill. The backyard also dips kind of abruptly halfway through and there's a few old boulders in the back yard and trees. About 25 feet or so from the back of the house is a small stream. I actually grew up in the house on the other side of the creek so I know the creek itself doesn't flood even in the worst of rainstorms, but water is obviously running off into that creek.

It's in a pretty woodsy, hippie type community with unique homes and a very "keep nature as it is" type attitude, which probably explains the boulders in the back yard. But the piece of land itself that the house is sitting on seems relatively flat until you get to the backyard.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

BAsically we loved the house and the location, but could feel the sinkage a little bit in the middle of the house and then had their realtor send us over that report.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

I would run like a raped ape away from that jackpot, Munson. 

smeags

what rome said.

its a slab house like mine so I assume your plumbing is in the slab. well, the slab is sinking in, you will most likely have plumbing problems, if there aren't already some that are hidden, and that means jackhammering your floor up.

my soil line from the kitchen went a few years ago. had to dig up the floor straight through the living room. if not for the help I got from my neighbor (plumber) & my brother in law (laborer), it would have broke me.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

Yeah it's gonna be tough to tear ourselves away from this one, we love the location a lot. Just don't think we have the means to buy and then immediately get to spending 10-20K+ for a foundation repair.

Seeing a whole bunch of houses on Saturday and going to a couple open houses on Sunday, hopefully one of those can distract us from this one lol

Rome

Never get emotional about real estate.  You're a man, Munson.  Man up and walk away.   You'll find something else.  Never be a slave to a house payment. 

smeags

either that or build an in-law sweet for dio.

SD

Quote from: Munson on March 02, 2017, 10:42:26 PM
BAsically we loved the house and the location, but could feel the sinkage a little bit in the middle of the house and then had their realtor send us over that report.

Never fall in love with a house, you'll start over looking things like foundation issues. If you can feel sinkage there's a big problem.

How long have you been looking for? I looked for 6 months. Had about 10 I was interested in. Made an offer on 3 but was overbid. Came down to 4, chose the one with the lowest price but was a fixer upper.

Munson

lol.

Wouldn't say we're "emotional" about it, only having seen it once and all. But she's definitely into more "unique" homes than the cookie cutter development type homes, and we did both love the house itself and the outdoor area/where it is. A screened in porch on the back as well as a decent sized deck, with trees and boulders in the backyard and a small creek going by at the back of the property..having grown up playing on that creek, I know I'd love to have kids grow up there.

This one basically checked off all the marks of what we were looking for and what we could afford....but.

There's a 20x29 family room addition on the house, maybe Dio would be down for some efficiency living for a couple months.

Diomedes

As long as I don't have to farg your girlfriend and there's plenty of Stella, I'm IN.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

smeags

Quote from: Diomedes on March 03, 2017, 12:48:02 PM
As long as I don't have to farg your girlfriend and there's plenty of Stella, I'm IN.

there ya go munson.

Munson

Tomahawk

Anyone have any suggestions on which brand of expandable hoses is the best?

Please no filthy jokes about expandable hoses; this is serious shtein