07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:55:36 PM
simple

they were playing over their heads

yes they were playing over their heads but you don't just go from top seed to shtein overnight. even if they had come back to earth and played .500 they'd still be in the thick of things. this sort of reminds me of when the Eagles were 7-2 under Richie then shtein the bed the rest of the season

BigEd76

Morganti and Jones said this morning there's rumors Stevens could be fired and Holmgren would take over the final 9 games

SD_Eagle5

Thats really not a bad idea considering they're 4-16 or something like that in their last 20. They just can't do much worse and maybe it will give Holmgren a better perspective of who he needs to move.

Seabiscuit36

I've always been a stevens fan, but its time.  Sure this team is injured but he's lost control of the team.  Plus i still dont see how he dresses Dowd and Kappanan over Upshall. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on March 17, 2008, 10:32:51 AM
I've always been a stevens fan, but its time.  Sure this team is injured but he's lost control of the team.  Plus i still dont see how he dresses Dowd and Kappanan over Upshall. 

and Thoresen, a guy they picked up on waivers has been in the lineup every single game.  enough already with these scrubs.

you bench downie and upshall for pittsburgh...cote and downie for toronto and you wonder where the energy is
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SunMo on March 17, 2008, 10:59:36 AM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on March 17, 2008, 10:32:51 AM

and Thoresen, a guy they picked up on waivers has been in the lineup every single game.  enough already with these scrubs.

you bench downie and upshall for pittsburgh...cote and downie for toronto and you wonder where the energy is
exactly, Upshall and Downie against a team that they need speed/hits against, it boggles my mind.  The problem is he lost this team plain and simple, even the younger guys.  They need new postion coaches also.  Murray has done a great job with the PP, but the PK stinks.  Defensemen stink not just because of talent, Vandemeer is playing great for Calgary, and Picard is playing great hockey in Tampa.  Lemelin needs to die, he has ruined every goalie he's ever worked with, yet he always stays
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

id play downie and upshall just because they are young and someone like dowd shouldnt even be in the league but lets not pretend that they both dont suck...especially upshall
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Upshall creates chances, he has to learn to control his penalties, but his speed is always a big factor.  Downie has really surprised me this year with his play, and self control, he's clearly not perfect but he's further along than i thought he'd be.  He really needs to work on his skating, Cote did this past offseason and it really shows. 

SunMo

somebody pointed out that they have X number of guys who are going to score 20+ goals.  that screams mediocre.  they need like 4 guys who can score 20+ goals, 1 guy who will get them 30 goals and a legit stud who is a 40+ goal threat every year

they have too many guys that rely on hard work too score, Knuble, Hartnell, Umberger, etc... guys who get garbage goals and deflections.  they need some offensive creativity and skill too.  even gagne isn't really a finisher.  he's not a guy that can take the puck down the wing and beat a goalie, he needs someone to set him up.

ice grillin you

they need to stop drafting downies and richards...i love the gawd more than anyone but you only need one of him not 10...and downie is a joke....start getting some talent on the team...look for some euro trash or the quebec league for some skilled frogs...i dont want anyone from saskatchewan or thunder bay on this team for a while

i have to laugh at what sb said...whats the hell is wrong when your number one draft pick has to take skating lessons over the summer

SunMo

i get back to the draft and that there were probably 3 players they could've taken at that spot and they again went big power forward

ice grillin you

when all things are even youll find most teams go with the atitude that talent wins out and choose the most skilled guy...the flyers go with the biggest slowest guy

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 17, 2008, 01:17:22 PM
when all things are even youll find most teams go with the atitude that talent wins out and choose the most skilled guy...the flyers go with the biggest slowest guy
they definitely reached when Downie was selected at 29 that year, but then again had he gone the next year he would have been in the top 12 based on rankings.  Giroux is really the only guy they've taken that fits what IGY wants, and im with him, they need a scorer, and i'm tired of waiting for Gagne. 

I'd love to see them move Gagne in the offseason just because of his contract and that fact that he's so fragile. 

SunMo

you won't get anything for Gagne until he plays again...and plays for awhile

ice grillin you

giroux was definitely a step in the right direction but then the very next year they draft i think one non north american and most of the picks ranged from stay at home defenseman to agitators to power forwards and even a fighter