07-08 Philadelphia Flyers Season Thread

Started by SunMo, October 04, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Downie is known as a richards like player with his leadership and willingness to stick up for teammates, and in carrying games, he just crosses the line
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

I flipped over to the Sixers after Carters first goal and fipped back 13 seconds later when his second one was hitting the net. Another solid outing from Nitty, I hope Biron is taking note that he's playing well because he needs the kick in the ass.

Seabiscuit36

Niitty is playing lights out.  Downie is really exciting to watch.  He is exactly what this team needs, a guy who setup up in front of the net, and has good hands.  Knuble should be traded by the deadline unless Forsberg comes back.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

I like Downie, I don't care if he's a dirty farg, every team has a similar player and he has some offensive talent. He'll never net 30 goals but he's given space on the ice.
I wouldn't mind trading Knuble but the compensation they probably wouldn't get much back for him. He's their most physical player in front of the net.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 08, 2008, 10:06:13 PM
I like Downie, I don't care if he's a dirty farg, every team has a similar player and he has some offensive talent. He'll never net 30 goals but he's given space on the ice.
I wouldn't mind trading Knuble but the compensation they probably wouldn't get much back for him. He's their most physical player in front of the net.
He also fumbles the puck 3 times a game and always gets stupid penalties on the PP in front of the net

SD_Eagle5

I agree he sucks but what do you expect to get in return for him? You need a physical presence in front of the net on PP.  I always thought Richards would make a perfect slot guy on the PP but Stevens insists on playing him at the point.

Seabiscuit36

I would hope a second and a player in the minors.  They just have too much talent in the minors to hold back.  If he's not moved by march, i'm sure he's getting shopped in the summer or next year, especially if JVR ends up not going back to UNH

dis12

Quote from: SD_Eagle on January 08, 2008, 10:11:10 PM
I agree he sucks but what do you expect to get in return for him? You need a physical presence in front of the net on PP.  I always thought Richards would make a perfect slot guy on the PP but Stevens insists on playing him at the point.
Hatch has been somewhat decent on PP in the past...in front of the net, not on the blue line. 
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

Why i still love Robert Earl Clarke
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226849&hubname=
QuoteTSN.ca Staff

1/9/2008 2:17:31 PM

More fuel was thrown on the fire regarding Steve Downie's sucker punch Wednesday, with Philadelphia Flyers Senior Vice President Bob Clarke holding the gas can.

Clarke, who selected Downie 29th overall in the 2005 Entry Draft, told TSN's Off The Record that he enjoyed watching the rookie forward go after Toronto Maple Leafs winger Jason Blake on Saturday.

"When he went after Blake, I loved it," Clarke told TSN.

Playing in just his fourth NHL game since serving a 20-game suspension for a pre-season hit on Ottawa's Dean McAmmond, Downie punched Blake in the face while the Leafs' winger was being held by an official.

Related Info
No suspension for Downie after punch
For Clarke, the rationale for Downie's actions was totally justified.

"Blake was a guy who had no problem going out and saying (Downie) should be suspended for life or suspended for the year," he explained, referring to Blake's reaction last September to the McAmmond incident. "When you say something that stupid, why shouldn't this kid go after him for it?"

The punch left a large welt under Blake's left eye but there was no structural damage. Downie was fined by league disciplinarian Colin Campbell for the incident, but did not receive a suspension.

"The kid did what every hockey player should do," added the former Broad Street Bully.

Seabiscuit36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_kY2bE05e8

Clarke talking about Downie.   IGY tell me you dont agree with this?

Rome

ice grillin you

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 09, 2008, 07:19:11 PM

agree with what?

that a guy should be physically hurt because he said someones suspension wasnt long enough?

if thats what youre asking no i dont agree....at the same time do i care that blake he got a eye jammie or think downie should have been suspended for it no...

if you went by that thought process then what should downie have done to him for all the cheap shots hes thrown in his life...maiming?...paralyzation?...do you wish that on downie?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 10, 2008, 08:08:49 AM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 09, 2008, 07:19:11 PM

agree with what?

that a guy should be physically hurt because he said someones suspension wasnt long enough?

if thats what youre asking no i dont agree....at the same time do i care that blake he got a eye jammie or think downie should have been suspended for it no...

if you went by that thought process then what should downie have done to him for all the cheap shots hes thrown in his life...maiming?...paralyzation?...do you wish that on downie?
Im saying Blake should have kept Downie's name out his mouf, he didnt, and paid the price.  Thats how hockey used to be.  Now sure, a guy like downie wouldnt have gone after a puss like blake, but Blake got involved in something he didnt need to. 

What cheap shots are you alluding to by the way?  You have it set in your mind that this kid carries a shiv on the ice?  He baits people, he'll take whacks at ankles like Clarkie, to get the other player to drop the glove.  The worst i've seen him do in Jrs was take his stick and egg on a player to fight, trying to slip the guys helmet off with his stick.  His reputation is an agitator who can throw bombs, and deliver good hits.  He has crossed the line, but he's not Boulerice?