2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

Quote from: MDS on August 08, 2007, 10:04:21 PM
They can find another closer.

lol

i'm sure you and they said the same thing when Billy Wagner walked out the door
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

BigEd76

Phils moved back to 2nd place again with the Braves choke job.  Bases loaded, 0 outs vs Wagner and they didn't score anything...

Brewers lost
Dodgers lost
Cubs about to get swept
Padres losing

But I can't get excited or anything...

ice grillin you

daily update:

aug 9 2007 second place 1 game back wild card

aug 9 2005 third place 1.5 games back wild card
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eaglez

I don't know. Closers are usually underrated. The Phils need someone that they can turn to and say "game over". And Myers is that sort of pitcher.

However, with the FA market in pitching this year, I don't know if there would be any pitchers close to Myers caliber out there. Let alone the Phils signing 3 of them.

Fargin' Eaton. Should have just tried to keep Wolf more to at least have another lefty in the starting rotation.

Geowhizzer

Wolf's been on the DL since July 4th with a bad shoulder. 

Which is probably still more effective than Eaton...

Geowhizzer

From Yahoo:

QuotePHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Some closers hear the music of heavy metal bands or the ominous tolling of bells as the bullpen door swings open and they jog to the mound to finish off another game.

Brett Myers got KC and the Sunshine Band. And that is not the way, uh huh, uh huh, he likes it.

Finding an appropriate theme song for Myers was about the only thing Philadelphia needed to worry about on another sticky night.

With what was left of a sweaty crowd poised to celebrate another Phillies win, Myers entered the ninth to the popular 1970s disco hit "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty." The choice infuriated Myers, who has yet to pick a song, and he took his anger out on Florida by striking out the side to end the game.

"It (ticked) me off. Can't you tell?" Myers said.

Eaglez

He had a good start to the season. I wasn't aware that he was on the shelf.

I'm just more angry that Eaton is getting paid a ridiculous amount of money for the next two years (I think) and it will purportedly limit what the Phils can do in FA since, if anything, his salary will command a roster spot. Not sure if it is one more with an option or two more with an option for a fourth.

Baseball is tough. The playoffs are so short and has the fewest amount of teams compared to other sports that, in practice, it seems like the "post-season" starts in late September for teams that are still in it. I feel a wave of optimism with the way the Phils are playing in the absence of Utley and Victorino, but looking at the volume and quality of the teams still in it that optimism becomes more cautioned.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Eaglez on August 09, 2007, 09:19:51 AM
He had a good start to the season. I wasn't aware that he was on the shelf.

I'm just more angry that Eaton is getting paid a ridiculous amount of money for the next two years (I think) and it will purportedly limit what the Phils can do in FA since, if anything, his salary will command a roster spot. Not sure if it is one more with an option or two more with an option for a fourth.

Baseball is tough. The playoffs are so short and has the fewest amount of teams compared to other sports that, in practice, it seems like the "post-season" starts in late September for teams that are still in it. I feel a wave of optimism with the way the Phils are playing in the absence of Utley and Victorino, but looking at the volume and quality of the teams still in it that optimism becomes more cautioned.

Yeah, he did well through the beginning of June (starting 7-3), but had a rough month before going on the DL.  He ended up 9-6 with a 4.73.

Right now, Eaton is 9-7 with a 6.03 ERA.  Awful.  Only the highest scoring offense in the NL would give him a winning record.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

I actually got to watch the whole game last night.  I'll echo the sentiments about Burrell's ridiculous attempt on that ball and Myers coming in and just killing it.

Has anyone else mentioned that choke dog basically just waved at the ball all night long?  Maybe they should just bench his fat ass any time it's hot and humid and there's a lefty starting, because he basically looked like he was trying to get seated in the dugout as soon as possible.

Oh, and even though Rowand's homer made it a non-issue, the look look at his hit into the left field corner is bush league stuff.  Only getting a single out of that is a joke.

PhillyPhanInDC

Myers looks farging unstoppable last night. Hitters that came up against him looked totally baffled.

Also, holy shtein, did Ryan Howard looks like ass. I forget which pitcher it was, Tankerhans or some shtein, that threw him three straight sliders, the last two that Howard whiffed awfully on looked like he didn't even bother to extend his arms to try and make contact. His second plate appearance he looked like he just wanted to call it quits.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

BigEd76

Quote from: Geowhizzer on August 09, 2007, 09:12:28 AMWolf's been on the DL since July 4th with a bad shoulder...

...and will probably be shut down for the year...

Philly Crew

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 09, 2007, 11:11:36 AM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on August 09, 2007, 09:12:28 AMWolf's been on the DL since July 4th with a bad shoulder...

...and will probably be shut down for the year...

If he was still with the Phillies, a bear would have mauled him in spring training and he would have lost his pitching arm.  No joke.
I'm bringing sexy back

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: FastFreddie on August 09, 2007, 10:51:26 AM
Oh, and even though Rowand's homer made it a non-issue, the look look at his hit into the left field corner is bush league stuff.  Only getting a single out of that is a joke.

He lost sight of it and thought it went foul. Was pretty obvious when they showed the replay.