2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Quote from: SunMo on July 26, 2007, 11:23:58 AM
2 men on, no outs, your #5 hitter up and you have him BUNT!?

I think Manuel made the right call with this one. It wasnt his fault Rowand can't bunt. I also think Rowand was 0-fer vs that pitcher.

I'll take 2nd-3rd 1 out.
Didnt matter in the end because everyone's latest golden child (bourn) grounded out next anyway.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

whats amazing about the rowand bunt call is he asks the #5 guy (forget that hes hitting .330 and is on fire right now) to bunt and then asks a bunter to drive in a run...its all just imcomprehensible

as for alfonseca easy i totally agree especially since he pitched the night before...you have no clear cut closer and they are all old and broken....why would you go with any them two nites in a row ever
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Charlie took the bunt off. Rowand never got the sign. They had a shot of Manuel pounding his fists on top of each other, which I guess means swing away, towards Steve Smith. Rowand still bunted and Charlie said after the game that Rowand didn't hear/see Smith. He said they only wanted Rowand to show bunt to draw the INF in on the first pitch.

Rollins is amazing. And Howards blast was titanic.

SunMo

the bunt never should've been on...just let the guy hit away he's your best RISP hitter
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

charlie can say anything he wants...bunt never should have even crossed his mind much less have been sent in
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Once again, they wanted him to apparently show bunt (take a strike) to draw in the INF. At least that's how I understood the comments.

Wingspan

Two year ago...and even since...all I heard was "They don't play small ball, they rely too much on the HR!"

Now they try and manufacture a run...and it's the same thing. Internet fans are funny.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 26, 2007, 11:44:51 AM
Once again, they wanted him to apparently show bunt (take a strike) to draw in the INF. At least that's how I understood the comments.

That's what I took away from it but it's still no excuse.  Why bother drawing the infield in when you have a guy hitting over .330 at bat?  He's been hot as hell since the all-star break.  Just retarded.

SunMo

Quote from: Wingspan on July 26, 2007, 11:57:19 AM
Two year ago...and even since...all I heard was "They don't play small ball, they rely too much on the HR!"

Now they try and manufacture a run...and it's the same thing. Internet fans are funny.
blanket statements are more funny

it's all about context, douche.

Wingspan

The context being that the only needed one guy to score, and a successful bunt would have put 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. A moderate fly ball wins the game. Same as a double in the gap.

Context RULES!
Connection Problems

Wingspan

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 26, 2007, 11:58:28 AM

That's what I took away from it but it's still no excuse.  Why bother drawing the infield in when you have a guy hitting over .330 at bat?  He's been hot as hell since the all-star break.  Just retarded.

That comment makes no sense.

You draw the infield in to take away the double play by putting the 2B and SS out of reach of second base.
Connection Problems

SunMo

Quote from: Wingspan on July 26, 2007, 12:00:18 PM
The context being that the only needed one guy to score, and a successful bunt would have put 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. A moderate fly ball wins the game. Same as a double in the gap.

Context RULES!

yes!  so bunt your best RISP guy for a guy with 100 ABs who is a ground ball slap hitter.  you're brilliant...

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SunMo on July 26, 2007, 12:02:59 PM
Quote from: Wingspan on July 26, 2007, 12:00:18 PM

Context RULES!

yes!  so bunt your best RISP guy for a guy with 100 ABs who is a ground ball slap hitter.  you're brilliant...

Is Rowand was successful in bunting (and both attempts looked wretched), Bourn would have been walked, and the pitchers' slot would have been up.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Wingspan on July 26, 2007, 12:02:35 PM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on July 26, 2007, 11:58:28 AM

That comment makes no sense.

You draw the infield in to take away the double play by putting the 2B and SS out of reach of second base.

Not only that but the 3B has basically no shot of fielding a screamer to his left...the ball is a base hit and game over.

By the way...courtesy of a dude on the Phils MB

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1195/902941272_790f665bcb_b.jpg

Howard's pose as he killed Chris Booker's pitch...now my desktop.