Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Diomedes

well, start with the fuse.  anything else crap out too?  other systems may use the same fuse

after that, I'd think about the wiring to the outlet..perhaps it's broken, etc. 

if it's not the fuse, probably the first thing I'd do is go find a MB or two dedicated to your car and do some reading.  if it's happening to yours, it's probably happened to others as well, so you might be able to glean some good leads on what to check next

good luck
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

yeah, it was weird...first it was the one outlet, then the other after I was charging the phone. The common denominator is the phone charger. Nothing else has crapped out. Any way to tell if one of those fuses is bad by looking at it?

PhillyPhreak54

What kind of car?

Look in the owners manual and find the fuse box diagram/schematic. That will show which fuse you need to yank out of the box. If it is blown it will look like this:

Tomahawk

Ditto what Dio and Phreak said, Zanshin, though I don't know why a charger designed to operate on such a system would blow a fuse

Zanshin

It's an Isuzu Ascender, which is similar to an Envoy. I'm not sure what's up with the charger, but when I took it out, I could hear something rattling around in it, so a part might be loose in there.

Seabiscuit36

my money would be on a blown fuse, because the charger has a short. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

Retarded layout in my truck...it has two fuse panels, one under the hood and another under the backseat. One blown fuse under the hood, and the other under the seat. 20 amp. I replaced one with the fuse from the rear window washer as a temporary measure. Guess I'll pick a few up at an auto part place. Any cheap places online for that stuff?

Thanks for the tips.

Tomahawk

Fuses are cheap; just buy an assortment at any auto parts store and save yourself the delivery time

Diomedes

Yeah, get a box of 'em and keep them in the car, with the first aid kit, spare tire, fire extinguisher, etc.

Seabiscuit is probably right.  This much we know:  something is not working properly.  Your car, your charger, my brain.  All three.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

It's definitely the charger. Those outlets are on the same fuse. If one didn't work, the other wouldn't - if the fuse had popped. Only other thing is that it shorted, somehow the fuse didn't blow, and you melted/burnt/destroyed some wiring  behind the dash or console, which I would think by the smell alone you would've known. I would put good money on the charger shorting, I've seen them do it before. If you got it from AT&T or Verizon go to the store and raise hell, saying it damaged your car. Get them to credit your bill or give some free shtein, also, try another type of charger or a cigarette lighter in the outlets, if it's working, variable removed, trash the charger.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

rjs246

And when I hit the switch I can make the ass drop.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Tomahawk

Anybody know anything about the quality of Jeeps when the company was owned by AMC? I need a 4wd vehicle and a 1973 AMC Jeep truck J2000 looks good...

Seabiscuit36

I always thought they were great, friend had an old wagoneer and that thing literally was a tank.  It wouldnt die
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons