Jim Johnson needs to go...

Started by Wingspan, October 16, 2006, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Magical_Retard on October 16, 2006, 05:52:05 PM
i didnt get to see the game so im going by what ive heard....but after the dallas game where we showed that no matter how good the WR's corps is...if we get early pressure we can disturb the offense....why didnt we blitz all out to start out with?

Because when a QB is only taking 3 step drops the blitz will not get there fast enough and it opens it huge spaces for guys to catch and run. When an offense is doing quick timing stuff you play coverage. Not zone - it should be man to man press coverages.

mpmcgraw

Has Trotter even been that good this year even at stopping the run?  Maybe it's because JJ can be less dependent on LB blitzes or maybe I just have a selective memory, but I remember Trotter making more plays in the backfield in years past.   

PoopyfaceMcGee

What's funny is I've seen the blame on Johnson in a few key games over the last years, but I thought he called a very good game on Sunday and the problem was in the sound execution of it (ie: tackling, staying on assignments).

mussa

Trotter has been non-existent this year. I can't see how anyone would say Dawkins is not the same player. He's prob one of the few that has played consistently and up to his ability so far this year.

I agree the defense is giving up waay too many points. I think another angle to look at it is that our defense seems to be on the field more than our offense. Our offense is NOT the time consuming type, but more a quick strike short drive scoring machine.  That's not helping out of defense at all, being on the field so often. Can this be an accurate theory for why our defense gives up so many points? Make sense to me. Our lack of running game just kills us sometimes.  I think both sides of the ball need to compliment each other. Our main problem this year IMO has been lack of game management and playcalling, the coaches are hurting the team more than the players.

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

mussa

"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SunMo

i didn't think i needed to, and i'm not trying to be a prick either.  but to say that any coach at anytime can hurt a team more than the players is somewhat ludacris in my mind. 

is it anybody but Michael Lewis' fault that he can't cover? 

is it AR's fault that Hank Baskett and Reggie Brown drop the ball more than they should?

is it AR's fault when Donovan holds onto the ball longer than he should and gets sacked?

the coaches have impact, absolutely, but to say that they hurt the team more than the players?  that's a big time stretch.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

mussa

A defense on the field 80% of a quarter is going to be tired.  Getting burned is not hard when you've been running around play after play without rest. Reid is calling bomb after bomb to no success, we have the 3 and outs, the defense has to go right back out. thats the case in yesterday's game. games before, its mostly been the lack of run game, or the lack of calling the run game. I think Reid is hurting the defense more than anyone.  Yea our offense can score, thank god McNabb has been great, but we need to be more than one dimensional.

PhillyPhreak54

1. The coaches share in about 10% of the blame. The players are the ones ultimately responsible. Jim Johnson and Andy Reid and John Harbaugh can only put those guys in a spot to make the plays. It is up to them to execute the plays. With that being said - and I will harp on this until they do it - is they need to play more press coverage with the corners.

The Giants had success with the dink & dunk and so did the Packers and Saints. Press the receivers so they cannot get to the spot where the ball will be delivered.

2. Trotter's impact has been diminished because of two reasons;

a. Offenses are not running it up the middle much. They seem to be going outside more often. They do this to stay away from Trot.

b. Teams get him off the field by going into 3WR sets so th Eagles use their nickle. Or they throw against the base set and make sure to isolate Trot in coverage. We know he sucks at covering.

Drunkmasterflex

That is the thing I don't get there were absolutely no adjustments made whatsoever, if offenses are going to dink and dunk down the field get in their faces and hit them in the mouth.  They were giving cushins all day long or year for that matter.  And I am getting on board the Jim Johnson must go bandwagon.  I love the guy  but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore for whatever reason.  From the four games I have seen this defense has played one really good half of football this year and that was lastweek. 

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PhillyPhreak54

What exactly doesn't he have anymore and when/why did he lose it?

MadMarchHare

Quote from: mussa on October 16, 2006, 07:13:41 PM
Trotter has been non-existent this year. I can't see how anyone would say Dawkins is not the same player. He's prob one of the few that has played consistently and up to his ability so far this year.

I agree the defense is giving up waay too many points. I think another angle to look at it is that our defense seems to be on the field more than our offense. Our offense is NOT the time consuming type, but more a quick strike short drive scoring machine.  That's not helping out of defense at all, being on the field so often. Can this be an accurate theory for why our defense gives up so many points? Make sense to me. Our lack of running game just kills us sometimes.  I think both sides of the ball need to compliment each other. Our main problem this year IMO has been lack of game management and playcalling, the coaches are hurting the team more than the players.

We don't lack a running game.  They averaged over 5 yards a carry yesterday.  We just never used it consistently, threw >65% of the time and lost.  That's coaching, not production.
Anyone but Reid.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: mussa on October 16, 2006, 07:29:47 PM
A defense on the field 80% of a quarter is going to be tired.  Getting burned is not hard when you've been running around play after play without rest. Reid is calling bomb after bomb to no success, we have the 3 and outs, the defense has to go right back out. thats the case in yesterday's game. games before, its mostly been the lack of run game, or the lack of calling the run game. I think Reid is hurting the defense more than anyone.  Yea our offense can score, thank god McNabb has been great, but we need to be more than one dimensional.

That argument used to be suffice, but this team does not have that many three and outs.  This defense has always given up yards and never cared.  It wasn't the offenses fault yesterday, the defense let the Saints grind out a long drive on the very first series.  Then the offense put a small drive together and then stalled.  The defense then allowed another scoring drive.  That was not the offenses fault, if anything the defense has held the offense back.  When the offense is in rhythm they don't get them the ball back fast enough.  This defense rarely gets 3 and outs.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 16, 2006, 08:04:34 PM

Coaching skills and he lost them in the second half of the Super Bowl. 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on October 16, 2006, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 16, 2006, 08:04:34 PM

Coaching skills and he lost them in the second half of the Super Bowl. 

So you want to fire Johnson and Reid? Crazy.

Jim Johnson certainly has not lost his skill. Is he perfect? No. But he's still one of the better DC's in the game.