The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

not all lyrics have to be superscientifical madness to be enjoyable...i think all three verses are just about perfect for thwta they are and the best is one of the best ever

my main problem with the song is that it was so overplayed back in the day that i dont care to listen to it anymore

anyway to each his own i was just shocked that of all the songs he listed thats what you picked because there is some truly horrific and puzzling stuff on there hwoever dwyck defintiely isnt one of them
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Dillen

my taste is just retarded I guess, i dont like Tribe either... i'm down with Gang Starr, De La Soul, Pharcyde etc there's just some things I don't like for whatever reason

hbionic

Most of that list if not all are the seeds that blossomedd my love for hip-hop or take me back to that part of my life when it was hip-hop 24-7 and it was dope.

Now days, the shtein tries to be what it was back then...but, young lads now days won't get that feeling we did growing up with it.

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Eric B & Rakim, LL Cool J, Special Ed, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, 3rd bass, just to name a few.

Regarding Dwyck and Pete Nice's lyrics...I think its simplicity is what makes his verse so dope. 'Casious clay, I say butta, you say parkay"....what the farg, right? But, those lyrics are universal. Also, the way premiers scratches at the end puts a nice cherry on top of that classic.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

hbionic

By the way....

How I could just kill a man and DWYCK were the first 12" singles that I ever purchased on my wannabe D.J. career. I was a big cypress hill junkie in high school.

For gangstarr fans...'who's gonna take the weight' gets over looked a lot by 'step into the arena' and 'just to get a rep'....but that was just as good.

ice grillin you

Quote from: hbionic on July 10, 2009, 06:14:18 PM
Now days, the shtein tries to be what it was back then...but, young lads now days won't get that feeling we did growing up with it.

me and my boys when we are drinking and listening to beats always bring up the fact that we grew up at exaxtly the right time...not way back when rap was basically in nyc parks and was fairly primitive...and not late 90's till now after the sampling era died...but right smack in the middle of the golden age...you can try and tell people how it was but like you said its just a feeling that you had and not something that can be put in words

other than the obvious choice of mass appeal my favorite gangstarr track is here today gone tomorrow...its the most slept on song in hip-hop history

hbionic

I do have to say IGY smalls that your taste in hip-hop is interesting. I may not agree with some of the songs you consider dope, but I can respect it. Here today, gone tomorrow is an example.

What do you think of one of my favorite Rakim songs "Mahogany"? Dope beat, dope rhythm, cool story, not the most popular, but dope nonetheless. 

hbionic

I just youtubed 'Mahogany' and on the side there was one for 'No Omega'.

Now that has old hip-hop sound. That was a dope sound as well.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

hbionic

I can't. I say it even now....20 years after it was dope to say dope.

ice grillin you

mahogany is so good..rakim is such a pimp on the song

hunt

i'm not a big jay-z fan but i kinda like d.o.a.  but that's probably because of my extreme hatred for t-pain & everybody like him.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

hbionic

I don't even know who T-Pain is and I'm glad I don't.

ice grillin you

same....ive heard of him a million times but have no idea who he is

hunt

he's the guy who can't sing so he uses that gadget to make himself sound like a robot.
terrible.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

hbionic