The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

blackalicious - their debut ep was actually pretty dope...then they got sucked into the downhick black hole and became a disgrace

aesop rock - his wackness is beyond description....the poster boy for nerd rap..ill literally fight someone over this guy

kool keith - definitely got sucked into the nerd rap vaccum...but he did so to strictly make money off white college kids that hung on his nuts because he was "different"....i wont hate tho as kk was a member of one of the all time great hip-hop bands in ultra magnetic mc's and to this day remains a pioneer

jurrasic 5 - definitely not nerd rap....became so because they were able to be real hip-hop and at the same time cater themselves to the dave matthews tattered visor college crowd...hate the game not the playa
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 21, 2007, 01:05:14 AM
blackalicious - their debut ep was actually pretty dope...then they got sucked into the downhick black hole and became a disgrace

aesop rock - his wackness is beyond description....the poster boy for nerd rap..ill literally fight someone over this guy

kool keith - definitely got sucked into the nerd rap vaccum...but he did so to strictly make money off white college kids that hung on his nuts because he was "different"....i wont hate tho as kk was a member of one of the all time great hip-hop bands in ultra magnetic mc's and to this day remains a pioneer

jurrasic 5 - definitely not nerd rap....became so because they were able to be real hip-hop and at the same time cater themselves to the dave matthews tattered visor college crowd...hate the game not the playa

thats a pretty spot on response.  i'll actually agree with almost all of that.  i'm not saying i'm a big aesop rock fan, but he doesn't make me angry like he does you and a few other people i know.

kool keith is more for the funny factor than anything.  he's so retarded most of the time it's awesome.

i still dig most of blackalicious stuff.  but you can see the transformation.

and j-5 is one of my top 2-3 groups of all time.  but you are right.  i've seen them probably about 7-8 times now.  every one of their shows is disgustingly fun.  but the crowd has definitely changed over the years.  the most recent one i saw was one of the worst crowds ever.  90% was the seashell necklace dudes you like so much.  wearing ripped up red sox hats and pocket khaki shorts.  but i can't blame j-5 for that.  they haven't really changed.  i'll still go see them whenever i can.

ice grillin you

you cant hate j5..they keep it real...they respect the pioneers of hip-hop and keep it real with out being self absorbed and trying to tell everyone how great they are

their original ep that came out in 97 is a straight up classic...i almost wished they retired after that...even tho i really liked qc

hbionic

I think the term 'nerd rap' is hucking filarious.

I don't really care for blackalicious sound.

I'm a 'beat first, lyrics second' kind of hip-hop fan.

Kool Keith, he aigh't, I do like his zany out of this world Dr. Octagon shtein, but I wouldn't miss him if he died.

Aesop rock- Don't like how he sounds and don't really care for him. He's in the Def Jux group, but I don't really give a farg.

J-5 is farging dope. They can freestyle, have their own sound and perform. You just can't hate J-5. I was lucky to catch one of their shows out here. Dope!

I was going to type some other shtein, but I'm too tired to think about it.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

hbionic

One group that everyone....EVERY fargING ONE, loves to overlook as 'pioneers' are the Beastie Boys. Their impact was huge. Everyone knew them. Everyone farging KNOWS them. Yet, even me, when compiling a list of some of the most influential artists of the 80's and 90's, they get shoved under the carpet. It's a weird phenomenon. I think I read something about that about them somewhere about that.

ice grillin you

thing with the beasties is their rap catalog wasnt that extensive...they had a party album that was huge at the time in terms of sales and mainstream popularity but wasnt hugely respected within the hip-hop community...then they had an album that was the exact opposite...a hip-hop classic that is beloved by every important hip-hop head thats ever lived but didnt sell records at all

after pauls boutique they realized if they wanted to get mainstream appeal and move units they had to change their style up and that style was to go alternative...

this took them out of the hip-hop community forever...so what you end up with is two true hip-hop albums...and only one of them can be considered a great album...so what you have is a widely repsected musical group but not a group that will be mentioned with  the hip-hop greats of all time even tho you wont hear a bad word spoken about them even from the hard corest of hip-hop critics

QB Eagles

Quote from: hbionic on April 20, 2007, 10:19:41 PM
Two recommended downloads:

1. Madness in a cup- Mr. Lif
2. Post Mortem - Jean Grae

Post Mortem is actually the last track on Mr. Lif's I Phantom. Jean Grae has the best verse though.

Ultramagnetic should be on that list of important golden age groups.

Diomedes

Anyone got anyting to say about the Blue Scholars?  I like them.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

IGY you talking about Swollen Members as the downhicks from alberta?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Dillen

Quote from: hbionic on April 21, 2007, 01:47:58 AM
I'm a 'beat first, lyrics second' kind of hip-hop fan.

J-5 is farging dope. They can freestyle, have their own sound and perform. You just can't hate J-5. I was lucky to catch one of their shows out here. Dope!
I'm the exact opposite. If the lyrics suck, the song is ruined no matter how good the beat is. Just about every single verse of Crunchy Black's suck. I dont understand how people can stand the newer Lil Wayne, he has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. He was good in about 2001, but he is absolutely awful now.

Agreed on Jurassic 5. They're really good. Since I was thinking about them I looked up a few of their other songs, Tech N9ne and Jurassic 5 made a song together. Sick.

ice grillin you

IGY you talking about Swollen Members as the downhicks from alberta?

i wasnt talking about anyone in particular...swollen members is from vancouver i believe...they actually had some really good 12 inches in the underground golden age of the mid to late 90's

front street
consumption
strength
s&m on the rocks
my advice

they had a whos who of guests on both production and rhymes

del...evidence...alchemist...everlast...aceyalone

that was some good shtein....then their album came out

moka only is a good example of a downhick canadian piece of garbage

Seabiscuit36

:-D 
Did you pick up "The Weatherman" by Evidence?  Im diggin it
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

1. smif and wesson - dah shinin - 1994
an amazingly produced album that contains unreal basslines on just about every track backed up by incredibly laid back dark creepy vocals about real life on the streets of brooklyn...album contains an overall vibe that probably has never been duplicated...its a wintertime album that screams timberlands hoody bubble goose and skully...great to smoke blunts to as well

1. Timz N Hood Chek   
2. Wrektime   
3. Wontime   
4. Wrekonize   
5. Sound Bwoy Bureill   
6. K.I.M.   
7. Bucktown   
8. Stand Strong   
9. Shinin...Next shtein   
10. Cession At Da Doghillee   
11. Hellucination 
12. Home Sweet Home   
13. Wipe Ya Mouf   
14. Let's Git It On   
15. P.N.C. Intro   
16. P.N.C. 

all songs produced by the beatminerz (mr walt, evil dee)

top 3 tracks:

1. bucktown
2. timez in the hood chek
3. lets get it on

some trivia...on tribes song "what" many remember q-tip saying "whats music factory without mr walt"...mr walt is one half of the classic production team the beatminerz...the music factory was a legendary music store in queens where all the beat diggers from the 80's and 90's would go to find records to sample off of...q-tip pete rock large professor and numerous others...mr walt worked at the music factory and was know for his incredible knowledge of old records...

anyway heres the album...i hope i uploaded correctly as ive never uploaded more than a single song before

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8zs2uf

ice grillin you

Did you pick up "The Weatherman" by Evidence?  Im diggin it

i havent....ive heard some good things about it...ill probably get it eventually

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 21, 2007, 06:08:13 PMsome trivia...on tribes song "what" many remember q-tip saying "whats music factory without mr walt"...mr walt is one half of the classic production team the beatminerz...the music factory was a legendary music store in queens where all the beat diggers from the 80's and 90's would go to find records to sample off of...q-tip pete rock large professor and numerous others...mr walt worked at the music factory and was know for his incredible knowledge of old records...

Good shtein IGY!  :yay