The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt

nas' "where are they now" remix, featuring some old skool favorites...igy, your boy dres from black sheep is on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKDN4yrpVrA

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

ice grillin you

ive heard those krs tracks and the single that was released....all computer/keyboard beats.....not wack but not marley marl

nas' "where are they now" remix, featuring some of your old favorites...igy, your boy dres from black sheep is on this.

yeah i have the 12 inch....dope song...not just because the lineup rips it but the bdk (marley marl) guitar loop is used
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hunt

i'll definitely pick up the album but yeah, the anti sampling laws hurt a lot of hip hop artists big time.

phattymatty

so i gave the new nas, hip hop is dead, like 5 chances before deciding that it actually isn't that good.  jay-z does a whole rack on it, which kinda pisses me off.  and it's a little generic and corny. 

there's this mix tape dude called march 9, named after the day biggie died, and he just did a whole new biggie remix album, and it's pretty fargin good.  it's hard to mess up a biggie mix tape, i know, his lyrics sound pretty good over any kind of beats, but this has some really really good shtein on it.  lots of early 90s background beats, mad lion's take it easy (one of my top 5 songs ever), brand nubian, etc.

trying to figure out whether i like the ep from eminem's new dude cashis, but haven't heard enough yet.  kinda sounds exactly like eminems other dude proof.

Seabiscuit36

Has anyone else heard the Mobb Deep/50 Cent song Angel or Angels?  Anyone know what mixtape or album its on?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu-Tang_Clan
QuoteThe Clan strikes back
In December 2006, Wu-Tang Clan signed a one-album deal with Steve Rifkind's SRC Records.[18] The group's four previous albums were all released on Rifkind's now-defunct Loud Records. The album's title will be 8 Diagrams and is slated for release summer 2007.[19]

RZA announced January 2007 that he will be releasing another Bobby Digital album this summer as well, which he has already begun work on. He will be using the album primarily to put over lesser-known Wu-Tang Clan affiliates such as Freemurder, Killa Sin and a myriad of others depending on who makes the final cut. The album is tenatively titled DigiSnacks.[20]

GZA will be releasing a tell-all DVD featuring footage of the Clan dating back to the ninties, titled Wu Tang Revealed,[21] as well as his 6th album entitled 'More Words From The Genius' which will be released on babygrande records.

[edit] Controversy

[edit] The FBI

John Gotti, "The Dapper Don"The Wu Tang Clan and their associates are being investigated by the FBI for weapon trafficking in Staten Island and their relationship with the Gambino crime family. RZA admitted to being friends with several members of the Gambinos in The Wu-Tang Manual, both before and after his rise to fame.

In 2000 the Village Voice ran a story about the FBI infiltrating the Wu Tang Clan through a criminal-turned-informant named Michael Caruso who got a job as the personal manager for Ghostface Killah and Cappadonna. Several other members of the group did not like Caruso, however his ties with Ghostface and Cappadonna got him into the inner circles of the Wu. [22]

Due to Caruso's criminal past he was prohibited by law to associate with felons (which many members of the Clan are) or leave the state of New York, however these restrictions were lifted in return for providing information on the group. The federal government turned their head and allowed Caruso to tour around the country with Wu-Tang as long as he was kicking back info on their involvement in gunrunning and the Gambino crime family.[23]

Caruso was subsequently fired from all duties regarding The Wu Tang Clan's business when these allegations came to light. RZA forced Cappadonna to fire him as his manager, however Caruso still works with Ghostface and is on his new poker team.[24]

The report rules out the majority of Wu Tang affiliated performers and focuses on those running the business aspect of the Wu empire, Oli "Power" Grant and Mitchell "Divine" Diggs (RZA's brother) and The RZA himself.

The issue was recently resurfaced by FOX News in mid-2007 after RZA attended one of Hilary Clinton's parties and donated money to her 2008 campaign. FOX News criticized the fact that Clinton took money from The RZA, claiming it was contradictory due to RZA's felony record, FBI investigation, ties to the Gambino family and his music lyrics. [25]
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

hbionic

I met Percee P today. He was pounding the pavement outside of 'Fatbeats' in L.A. I told him I saw him live in March. Anyways, I gave him a pound, no I mean I shook his hand.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Seabiscuit36

IGY, whats your take on The Dwellas  I just found them on Pandora, Which album should i get? 

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

look at the Wiki Dio...

Also i picked up Swollen Members Bad Dreams album.  The track Deep End has a familar beat but i cant place it. 

ice grillin you

they are pretty good...only album worth getting is their debut realms and reality

has that classic early to mid 90's jazzy boom bap sound...the rhymes are ok but dont measure up to the beats....to give you a sense of what they are like i would call them a poor mans lost boyz

their best song is with masta ace called 4 da mind...its on aces sittin on chrome album

as in ghetto dweller?

their actually name is the cella dwellas....the celler being a literal and figurative place where hip-hop artists made their music since many of them could never get studio time...particularly back when hip-hop was in its infancy

pete rock had a classic song called 'the basement' which speaks upon this
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hunt

the krs-one/marly marl album is.....meh.

phillymic2000

Quote from: hunt on June 13, 2007, 01:28:55 PM
the krs-one/marly marl album is.....meh.

Ah man, I come back is hot, so is the joint with Black Poet and Premier. There are some good beats #4 where were you, the line at the end "have your a$$ lookin like Jesus from the passion" was sweet, and the line in #2 I come back "Just like the crack want Whitney you still try to get me" was cold too. Overall I thought it was a good album the bass in Where were you is just sick.

Magical_Retard

ear drum is sick. usually i have to listen 2-3 times to really hear a album and like it but wow this is awesome.

Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!