The Bobby Abreu Tracker Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 03, 2006, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

My apologies for not posting updates. I've been busy as hell. Maybe I can start again tomorrow...

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 18, 2006, 06:58:14 PM
My apologies for not posting updates. I've been busy as hell. Maybe I can start again tomorrow...

Trying to put together those mock drafts, eh?

PhillyPhreak54

Yes, of course. ;D

That and working like crazy.

PoopyfaceMcGee

He admitted to costing the Phils last night's game.  MAJOR NEGATIVE IMPACT

Wingspan

2 run HR in the 8th to bring within 1

leadoff walk in the 10th, scored the winning run.

the bum should homered in the 10th. major negative impact!
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

Bobby's had a great start to the season, some fielding faux pas aside.  He gave really good effort on the pop foul too.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Morning Bytes | Writer's plea: Stop me before I boo again

By Frank Fitzpatrick
Inquirer Columnist

My name is Frank. And I've got a problem.

I boo.

I've heard the first step in helping yourself is admitting you've got a problem.

Well, I've got a big one.

And I'm not the only one it's hurting. It's beginning to affect the teams I love.

Take the Phillies.

Bobby Abreu might be the best pure hitter they've had in my lifetime. So the guy misplays a fly ball Tuesday night and what do I do?

I boo.

Thirteen games into a 162-game season, and I boo my team's best player.

What have I become? I'm so ashamed. Can't you please help me stop?

This mad desire to boo is ruining my capacity to enjoy sporting events. It's contributing to a poisonous atmosphere in ballparks and arenas where players and less-vocal fans ought to feel at ease.

They say you've got to hit rock bottom before you can begin to pick yourself up. Well, I hit it Tuesday. And as I sat there, I realized how foolish I'd been all these years.

I'm beginning to think that maybe people like me are why no Philly team has won a championship in 23 years. Maybe players press when they know their most innocent miscue is likely to be jeered and ridiculed.

Having said all that, I don't think I need to stop cold turkey.

I mean, what's the harm in booing David Bell or Geoff Geary every now and then? Or Charlie Manuel?

But when I boo our best player, on opening day, or even in the 13th game, well, I've got to be stopped.

I know what's going to happen now. I've seen it many times before.

Abreu will slump. The boos will get louder, meaner. He'll demand a trade. We'll get three useless prospects for him. And we'll forget about him until his Hall of Fame induction.

I used to think it was my birthright as a Philadelphia fan to boo at the drop of a hat, or a pop-up. But once you start, it gets in your blood and takes over your soul. You can't stop.

Before I knew it, I was acting irrationally. I tried to live up to the image of a true Philly fan. I booed Dick Allen. I booed Mike Schmidt. I booed Ron Jaworski. My God, I even booed Wilt.

And I always had an excuse for my dark-side stupidity.

They stank in the clutch. They didn't care. They wasted their talent.

Well, maybe they disappointed me because I disappointed them.

I've been boo-free for two games now. It feels good.

Anyway, after I had my epiphany Tuesday night, I left Citizens Bank Park and walked over to see the 76ers at the Wachovia Center.

It was Fan Appreciation Night.

At least there I'd have no reason to boo.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

i stopped at Abreu in the HOF, lol
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 21, 2006, 02:24:32 PM
i stopped at Abreu in the HOF, lol

i wouldnt laugh too hard....

if his career ended today...no way in hell he's a HOFer.

however if he goes another 9 years at the same pace, he'll have over 400 HRs, and 500 stolen bases...and a career .300 hitter. he has durability on his side too, he hasnt missed more than 10 games in any year since 1998.

getting into the HOF is not that exclusive anymore, and is more of a numbers game....and i would highly highly doubt he ever gets a 1st ballot shot...but 10 years or so after he retires? if he keeps his pace for the next 8 or 9 years (he'll be 38/39 years old then)...then he would totally have a shot at it.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

hof is not the issue tho...its the ridiculous amount of haters he has...he isnt making the hall of fame...but the fact that it would even be brought up shows how retarded the hate is
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Bobby had another late inning big hit tonight. They lost, but he lead off the 8th with a double and scored. And he was in the hole at 1-2 too because of a bad strike call.

I was listening to Eskin on the way home the other day. The day after Bobby hits the 2R HR to make it 6-5 in the b8th.

Know what the King of Abreu Hating says?

It was only the 8th and only a 2R HR. Its not like he tied it or gave them the lead. That HR meant nothing. :-D

Irrational hatred.

And the booing is out of control towards him.

Like I said...the othe night he gets booed because he can get a foul ball before it lands by the stands. He makes a good effort and slides but its one that he wasn't going to get. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sal Fasano drops a can o' corn pop-up and Vidro singles home a run immediatley after? Cheers for Sal after he dropped the ball.

Sal throws through to 2nd tonight and a guy scores to give them a 4-0 lead. Boo? Not at all. No reaction to King Sal.

I like Sal. But jeez.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 21, 2006, 10:55:20 PM
I like Sal. But jeez.

I don't.  That's two games in a row from him.  Drawn and quartered.

Makes Lieberthal look like Randy Hundley.

PhillyPhreak54

Bobby A jumps and hits the wall to make a very nice catch tonight and save extra bases.

You want him on that wall! You need him on that wall!!

Also, he is having some quality AB's lately. Seeing a lot of pitches and picking his pitch or taking the walk and putting runners on.

He's playing well.

He is also hitting .400+ with RISP.

MDS

not clutch lazy bad rf booooooooooo
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

We're missing 8 years of updates. You fail Hentz.