Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 03, 2006, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 14, 2006, 10:00:32 AM
google told me mike schmidt was better than brooks robinson??

basically your argument is blown out of the water so you flip mo...i dont blame you

trust me ive been in theis argument with many orioles fans over the years more times than i can count...and i get most of them seeing the truth by the end just as you are now

is that a Busta Rhymes saying? Explain please

I think Ill ask these guys and keep my very valid, opinion--regardless of defense or not, overall was the argument--it can go both ways--so no crack smoking here killer

"Brooks never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." -Gordon Beard

"Brooks Robinson belongs in a higher league." -Pete Rose

"He was the best defensive player at any position. I used to stand in the outfield like a fan and watch him make play after play. I used to think WOW, I can't believe this." -Frank Robinson

"Don't hit to that fellow." -Casey Stengel

"He plays third base like he came down from another league." -Ed Hurley

"He can throw his glove out there and it will start ten double plays by itself." -Sparky Anderson

"He changed everything. He reacted as the ball was coming off the bat, sometimes as it was coming to the bat." -George Brett

"I once thought of giving his some tips but dropped the idea. He's just the best there is." -Pie Traynor

"In the future, Brooks Robinson will be the standard every third baseman will be measured by." -Jim Murray

"I'm beginning to see Brooks in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." -Sparky Anderson

"I will become a left-handed hitter to keep the ball away from that guy." -Johnny Bench

"That guy can field a ball with a pair of pliers." -Pete Rose

"The baseball park was no place for his performances. He should have played at Carnegie Hall." -Furman Bisher

I love Google Wing

PhillyPhreak54

Reese, stop letting WIP form your opinion on Abreu for you. You regurgitate what those baseball challenged hosts say.

And I'll have Abreu's stuf up from last night and tonight sometime tomorrow.

reese125

like I said, Im not questioning his skills and what he does as far as hitting %, but you cant deny how he performs in the outfield. He almost shows it every night as some point. That was my argument, I could care less about what Howard or anyone else says

PhillyPhreak54

And here's the biggest problem with the people who bitch about the defense of Bobby. Yes, we know he isn't great. We know he avoids walls like they have spikes sticking out of them. We know he doesn't dive headfirst for balls. But the Abreu bitchers love to say its because he is lazy and doesn't care. That stuff is passed down from the clueless ones on the radio and the lemmings who follow their every word as THE TRUTH.

Here's a not-so-big-secret about MLB and some of the players...

Many players can hit like crazy but their defense is lacking in a bad way.

Have you seen what David Ortiz looks like playing 1B? Hackariffic.

Have you ever watched Mike Piazza catch in his career? Terrible.

There are quite a few other players who could be given as examples too. But you know what? They are in there because they can hit.

And when you look at Abreu's numbers - HE PRODUCES!

What more can you ask for than run production, a very good average, stolen bases and a player who works pitchers better than Ron Jeremy works over broads? Sure you'd love to have the all around player. But what we've got is a guy who is very good at one aspect of the game and average in another.

He takes way too much heat in this town. And don't even get me started on the "hollow numbers" thing. If that wa a one or two year thing maybe I would agree. But you do not accidentally put up Abreu's numbers. To do that you must be a good ballplayer.

The end.

Wingspan

Quote from: reese125 on April 14, 2006, 11:05:27 PM
like I said, Im not questioning his skills and what he does as far as hitting %, but you cant deny how he performs in the outfield. He almost shows it every night as some point. That was my argument, I could care less about what Howard or anyone else says

did you watch thursdays game? somehow i doubt it. he had 3 or 4 really nice plays.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

and Ryan Madson had 3 hits, he must be Ted Williams.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

yeah, that's something that really takes it to the house regarding abreu bashing.

the longer the abreu haters go on, the more foolish they look...and it becomes obvious that they base their perception on isolated incidents, rather than his overall play....

while not abreu related, persay....i offer this example...

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 14, 2006, 10:30:11 PM
i DVR'd the game and just watched the 1st inning, Charlie genius lineup strikes again.  Howard gets intentionally walked to load the bases for Bell, not Nunez, and of course he doesn't get a hit.

farg Bell
farg charlie

final score of reffered game...

10-8

oh...an nunez sucks too...
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

abreu is a better fielder than howard or utley the two golden boys who can do no wrong

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i dont know what the talk of a great phillies is. burrell and utley and howard are average to mediocre fielders. bell and abreu and lieberthal suck. rollins is gold glove material, and rowand is supposed to be but we havent seen it yet.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 15, 2006, 02:52:21 PM
abreu is a better fielder than howard or utley the two golden boys who can do no wrong

As much as I like Howard, I agree about his defense so far. There have been 3-4 plays that he should've made so far that he hasn't and it cost them a run or two.

Utley is OK with his fielding, but his throwing is a minor problem. That Kerry Collinsesque hitch he throws with sometimes make it hard for him when he turns a DP because he drops his arm and it takes too much time. Last night he made a bad throw that should've been a DP.

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 15, 2006, 02:52:21 PM

incorrect.

SunMo

Quote from: Wingspan on April 15, 2006, 01:02:05 PM
i DVR'd the game and just watched the 1st inning, Charlie genius lineup strikes again.  Howard gets intentionally walked to load the bases for Bell, not Nunez, and of course he doesn't get a hit.

farg Bell
farg charlie

10-8

i can understand why you follow me around in baseball threads Wing, you can learn things.

today's lesson, just because a flawed lineup puts up 10 runs on a below mediocre pitcher doesn't mean that said lineup is not flawed.

if you think that David Bell should be playing everyday and that Ryan Howard is in the correct lineup spot, more power to you.  i wonder how you manage to get your pants on each day.

Wingspan

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 17, 2006, 08:35:35 AM
Quote from: Wingspan on April 15, 2006, 01:02:05 PM

farg Bell
farg charlie

10-8

i can understand why you follow me around in baseball threads Wing, you can learn things.

today's lesson, just because a flawed lineup puts up 10 runs on a below mediocre pitcher doesn't mean that said lineup is not flawed.

if you think that David Bell should be playing everyday and that Ryan Howard is in the correct lineup spot, more power to you.  i wonder how you manage to get your pants on each day.

no one said it wasn't flawed mr semantic mcliteral.

first of all, bell sucks...but so does nunez. you wont get shtein from either player, it doesnt matter which one of those two are in the lineup.

but SOMEONE has to hit 6th. and it has to be a lefty...right now the lineup looks like this

S (Rollins)
R (Rowand)
L (Abreu)
R (Burrell)
L (Utley)
L (Howard)
R (Bell) or S (Nunez)
R (either zesty catcher)
P

you simply can not have the 3-4-5 spots all lefties. it's stupid, and bad baseball.

where do you put howard if you move him? 4th? if you switch with burrell, it gives you the 6-7-8 spot all righties. which also means you cannot hit rowand in the 6 spot either.

Connection Problems

Sgt PSN

Quote"He can throw his glove out there and it will start ten double plays by itself." -Sparky Anderson

"I'm beginning to see Brooks in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." -Sparky Anderson

2 quality quotes from one of my favorite all time baseball personalites.