Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

My kid plays a lot at this dive bar place called Jigg's Corner. The place is an OLD SCHOOL hole in the wall, but it's a staple for music. Les Paul used to play there a lot, and old music guys like Lou Pallo, Bill Haley, etc. regularly pop in. It's the kind of place that when you walk through the door, it feels like midnight regardless of the time of day.

Anyway, the place has food. I would expect nothing from it, but the food is really good. Everything is just cheap and tastes great. No idea how the prices are so low. Last night, I got a ribeye sandwhich, which was a full steak on garlic bread with provolone and mushrooms for $7, it included sides. Last week I got a full 16 oz steak dinner that was a special for $12. My kid loves the huge cheeseburgers on garlic toasted rolls...which are $4.95. It's like going back in time.

PhillyPhreak54

Susquehanna Birder

PhillyPhreak54

That makes sense...I was gonna say...man he looked old back in the 50s

Zanshin

Haha....I meant Bill Turner-- he was in Bill Haley and the Comets.

PhillyPhreak54

Zanshin

Guitar and vocals....Rock around the Clock, etc.

Susquehanna Birder

Had a pot of mussels and a couple glasses of decent beer at Monk's on Saturday. Great place, but damn...it gets crowded fast.

SD

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 17, 2015, 09:27:00 AM
Had a pot of mussels and a couple glasses of decent beer at Monk's on Saturday. Great place, but damn...it gets crowded fast.

Monks is one of the greatest places to eat and drink in the city.

ice grillin you

fat ham was off the charts good....kitchen the size of a bathroom that just straight pumps out simple but incredible goodness...like the best pimento cheese ball ever...hot chicken sliders...and a meat board that had the best pate ive ever had....dessert i have to say was not good but i dont really like sweets that much anyway....my brothers got some sort of coconut carrott cake thing...average at best

its also a bourbon bar and i got a 12 year old rye manhattan that was so awesome...they had these nitrous tanks that they make homemade punches in and shtein and they come out on tap...had one that tasted like very much like a zombie and one just like a sazerac....they got me all fugly
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Nothing like Melrose Diner for breakfast followed by a long day of pounding beers and shots at McGillin's, though.

I liked Monk's when I visited.  Their beer selection is great.  You better like soccer, however.   Just sayin'...

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on November 17, 2015, 10:07:00 AM
You better like soccer, however.   Just sayin'...

monks doesnt have tv's....one of the reasons i dont like it

Rome

That was a crack about the soccer-loving hipster crowd that goes there, IGY.  And now that you mention it, I honestly can't believe you, of all people, would stand being amongst those people. 

ice grillin you

i just said i dont like it and i havent been there for probably 10 years....but its known for not having tv's....im suprised you didnt know that

Susquehanna Birder

Yeah, it certainly does fit nicely into the yuppy-ish bent of the neighborhood.

Thankfully I was there for the food and beer, not to watch TV or the other people.

And I thought I was smart for parking in a pay lot, rather than driving around, trying to find an open space. But my parking cost was $18 for the short 1.5 hours I was there. Crazy.