Eagles in NFL Europe, 2006 Edition

Started by BigEd76, January 27, 2006, 01:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMarchHare

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 27, 2006, 03:30:37 PM
I worked at the Berwick Power Plant after I got out of the Marines back in 1998.  Berwick = Lamest town in America.  Even worse than Shamokin. 

Dude, my ex is from Shamokin.  Berwick is REALLY lamer than the Coal Hole?  Yikes.
Anyone but Reid.

Diomedes

So if I'm gonna root for the team with the most Eagles, it looks like I'm gonna support Cologne this year.

Go Centurions!!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

If they could swing it, NFL Europe would be a much more effective player development tool if they could have legitimate farm teams that run the same basic offensive and defensive systems.  Pipe dream, sure...but it would be better way to waste money overseas.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Zanshin on January 28, 2006, 01:26:28 PM
If they could swing it, NFL Europe would be a much more effective player development tool if they could have legitimate farm teams that run the same basic offensive and defensive systems.  Pipe dream, sure...but it would be better way to waste money overseas.

I guess the whole "farm system" question comes down to the roster limits. If teams were allowed infinite roster sizes throughout the year, it's safe to say the Eagles and other NFL teams would create their own "minor league" teams to maximize bench player experience and the ability to evaluate their talent at a post-college level. The NFL wouldn't even have to create it, teams would independently do so of their own volition. I'm not sure why exactly the roster limits do exist; however, both the NCAA and NFLPA have strong incentives for them. The latter tends to have much more influence over NFL rules.

I'm guessing it's also against the NFL rules for NFL teams to have labor deals with independently owned and operated teams in non-NFL leagues.

henchmanUK

Quote from: Wingspan on January 28, 2006, 10:19:26 AM
Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 28, 2006, 04:13:31 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on January 27, 2006, 01:16:53 PM
NFL Europe, where no-names go to die. I guess that means we've heard the last of Keyonta Marshall.

I'm sure Kurt Warner (Amsterdam Admirals), Brad Johnson (London Monarchs), David Akers (Berlin), and Dante Hall (Amsterdam) would disagree.

so thats four exceptions in about 15 years? ;)

Off the top of my head you can count Jake Delhomme, Jon Kitna, Adam Vinatieri, Chuck Darby, Joe Andruzzi, Brian Finneran and Marco Rivera there too. ;)
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 28, 2006, 08:02:32 AM
Ah well.. wouldn't be the first time my style clashed with the norm.  I'd probably rock any of those outside of the Amsterdam and Frankfurt jerseys.

they all look the same to me and look like nfl expansion team jerseys...all which i cant stand...i like the plain old school type jerseys that have no to very little striping...like raiders steelers eagles kelly green

Yeah, that's cool... I'm just one of those guys who likes to kinda have something different.  Of course, I'm the same guy who wears my Dawkins jersey to all the Eagles tailgates.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

henchmanUK

The Berlin Thunder jersey is No. 2 for their most famous alumnus, David Akers. :yay
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

PhillyPhreak54

Ex-Eagles in NFL-E:

LB David Bergeron (Panthers) - Cologne
CB Aric Williams (taterskins) - Cologne
TE Kori Dickerson (Lions) - Hamburg
OT Carlos Joseph (Jaguars) - Cologne
WR Chris Samp (Panthers) - Rhein
K Tim Duncan (Raiders) - no team yet
DE Ivory McCoy (no NFL team) - Hamburg
WR/CB Robert Redd (Falcons) - Berlin

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MadMarchHare on January 28, 2006, 12:19:40 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 27, 2006, 03:30:37 PM
I worked at the Berwick Power Plant after I got out of the Marines back in 1998.  Berwick = Lamest town in America.  Even worse than Shamokin. 

Dude, my ex is from Shamokin. Berwick is REALLY lamer than the Coal Hole? Yikes.

Nah, Shamokin is probably just as lame as Berwick.  I'll rate it lower than Berwick though simply for the fact that I banged some skank from Shamokin a few years ago when I went to visit my mom in Danville.  I've never had the (dis)pleasure of shaggin anyone from Berwick though. 

MadMarchHare

Man, I hope you were current with your shots. :P
Anyone but Reid.

bobbyinlondon

Quote from: Wingspan on January 28, 2006, 10:19:26 AM
Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 28, 2006, 04:13:31 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on January 27, 2006, 01:16:53 PM
NFL Europe, where no-names go to die. I guess that means we've heard the last of Keyonta Marshall.

I'm sure Kurt Warner (Amsterdam Admirals), Brad Johnson (London Monarchs), David Akers (Berlin), and Dante Hall (Amsterdam) would disagree.

so thats four exceptions in about 15 years? ;)

Actually, I don't even count 1991 and 1992 as the years of the "development league". You had players with NFL experience, such as Stan Gelbaugh who played in the first incarnation--which was called The World League of American Football. The current NFLE didn't get formed until 1995, after they cut their losses following the 1992 season.

BigEd76

Yeah, we remember the Orlando Thunder's day-glo jerseys...

DH

I like Michael Gasperson. I hope he does well and gets a shot in camp. He's a big dude.

Diomedes

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 28, 2006, 08:07:53 PM
Ex-Eagles in NFL-E:
LB David Bergeron (Panthers) - Cologne
CB Aric Williams (taterskins) - Cologne
TE Kori Dickerson (Lions) - Hamburg
OT Carlos Joseph (Jaguars) - Cologne
WR Chris Samp (Panthers) - Rhein
K Tim Duncan (Raiders) - no team yet
DE Ivory McCoy (no NFL team) - Hamburg
WR/CB Robert Redd (Falcons) - Berlin

Dickerson is still kicking around, huh?  Also..does this mean McCoy went over to Europe of his own accord to play in the league?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger