I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

Quote from: SunMo on February 14, 2007, 02:57:32 PM
make sure you get a remote control, it's so much easier than changing the channel at the TV

good point, never thought of that.  thanks.  i should probably call comcast and order cable too.

Rome

Quote from: phattymatty on February 14, 2007, 03:01:18 PM
i've got opinions from about 4 or 5 real friend people, and then all you fake internet people, and almost everyone tells me LCD is the way to go.  why are plasmas more expensive then?

I don't think they're more expensive anymore.  I've seen plasma sets around the same size as mine (40") that were cheaper.

SunMo

Quote from: phattymatty on February 14, 2007, 03:01:40 PM
good point, never thought of that.  thanks.  i should probably call comcast and order cable too.

don't get crazy though
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

mussa

Let me get this straight, HDTV is just a certain type of signal correct? And LCD and Plasma are 2 diff. screen types, correct? Both LCD and Plasma run HD signals, right?

This should prob be in the ask dumb questions thread, but whatever...
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Rome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

QuoteHigh-definition television (HDTV) is a television broadcasting system with a significantly higher resolution than traditional formats (NTSC, SECAM, PAL). While some early analog HDTV formats were broadcast in Europe and Japan, HDTV is usually broadcast digitally, because digital television (DTV) broadcasting provides much greater bandwidth. HDTV technology was first introduced in the US during the 1990s by the a group of electronics companies called the Digital HDTV Grand Alliance [1] [2].

In the 2000s, a number of high-definition television standards are competing for the still-developing niche markets. Current HDTV standards are defined by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-R BT.709) as 1080 active interlace or progressive scan lines, or 720 progressive scan lines, using a 16:9 aspect ratio. HDTV is also capable of "theater-quality" audio because it uses the Dolby Digital (AC-3) format to support "5.1" surround sound.

The term "high-definition" can refer to the resolution specifications themselves, or more loosely to media capable of similar sharpness, such as photographic film. Currently, approximately 48 million households have HDTVs.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

i have a friend who got a Philips 42" LCD for around $1300 and said he could get me the same deal.  anyone have a philips TV and is this a good deal? 

from what I see that seems to be way below normal price.

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

check buy.com....i got a 37 inch viewsonic for 799 off there a few months back...included in that was  $200 rebate....buy.com has great deals popping up all the time
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

phattymatty

my price would be almost $400 less than that though.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The Philips employee pricing is pretty good, agreed.  You certainly won't regret making that purchase.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 14, 2007, 03:05:14 PM
i've got opinions from about 4 or 5 real friend people, and then all you fake internet people, and almost everyone tells me LCD is the way to go.  why are plasmas more expensive then?

I don't think they're more expensive anymore.  I've seen plasma sets around the same size as mine (40") that were cheaper.

Yep, from what I've seen, plasma sets are a little less expensive. And the difference increases as screen size goes larger.

Wingspan

LCD is the best bet for any video game playing.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.