Started by SunMo, November 09, 2005, 10:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

simply shocking that this would happen with bush in office
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

it was a pretty easy solution to contering the gas costs recently.

i bought some stock in the oil companies. and after it was all said an done (i held the stock for about 4 months), i made enough from the stock sale to see no effect in my wallet for the rising gas prices.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

stillupfront

Quote from: Wingspan on November 09, 2005, 11:50:53 AM

i bought some stock in the oil companies. and after it was all said an done (i held the stock for about 4 months), i made enough from the stock sale to see no effect in my wallet for the rising gas prices.

So you are an evil profit mongerer. A price gouger etc.

1/9/06

Very proud sponsor of DarWIN Walker BSSE

Proud to be sponsored by HBionic

MDS

this is why everyone needs to start biking
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Wingspan

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 11:53:16 AM

they were mongering profits and gauging prices long before i bought the stock, and will long after i sold it.

i was simply doing something to protect myself from it. i figured if they were going to gauge, i was not going to let them gauge me. and they didnt, because they extra money they took from me at the pump, i got right back.

i was looking out for myself, and protecting my interestes and costs. something most others should try once in a while instead of knee jerk whiney reactions.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

stillupfront

Quote from: Wingspan on November 09, 2005, 11:58:44 AM
Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 11:53:16 AM

they were mongering profits and gauging prices long before i bought the stock, and will long after i sold it.

i was simply doing something to protect myself from it. i figured if they were going to gauge, i was not going to let them gauge me. and they didnt, because they extra money they took from me at the pump, i got right back.

i was looking out for myself, and protecting my interestes and costs. something most others should try once in a while instead of knee jerk whiney reactions.

fargING RIGHT!!

1/9/06

Diomedes

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:01:56 PM
fargING RIGHT!!

Yeah, because we all have extra cash to risk on purchasing stock.  And because we've all had enough education to understand what stock is, how to buy it  (with our extra cash,) and how to sell it.  And because everything would be great if we all just gave all of this extra money to the corporations, because it's best for us if they control the money than if we do...

Plus, we don't HAVE to buy gas or oil, right?  And we don't HAVE to eat, right?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyGirl

Hey with the money you made, you should have no problem paying for the obscene price of Gas this winter. farg the rest of us who didn't buy stock though, you know...the ones who also work hard every day to earn a paycheck.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

stillupfront

Quote from: Diomedes on November 09, 2005, 12:09:44 PM
fargING RIGHT!!

Yeah, because we all have extra cash to risk on purchasing stock.  And because we've all had enough education to understand what stock is, how to buy it  (with our extra cash,) and how to sell it.  And because everything would be great if we all just gave all of this extra money to the corporations, because it's best for us if they control the money than if we do...

I don't understand your point.

If you invest, YOU are controlling your money. It's like the vicious fight the liberal left is putting up against self investment of our own Social Security money. Why have moronic government hacks control your money? Bunch of idiots have been wasting my tax dollars for years. Let me invest 1/3 of my social security money how I see fit and I will see a mush greater return than with the present system.

1/9/06

Father Demon

fargING RIGHT!!

Dio, when you buy stock, it doesn't go to the corporation of the stock you are investing in, other than an IPO.

This is a whole other topic, but it is in everyone's best interest to save/invest at least 10% of your pay.  But, like I said, that's a whole different subject.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

stillupfront

Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on November 09, 2005, 12:30:58 PM
fargING RIGHT!!

Dio, when you buy stock, it doesn't go to the corporation of the stock you are investing in, other than an IPO.

This is a whole other topic, but it is in everyone's best interest to save/invest at least 10% of your pay.  But, like I said, that's a whole different subject.

It's not that farging difficult. It takes discipline and the right set of priorities.

1/9/06

Diomedes

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMI don't understand your point.
Well, no shtein!?!

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMIf you invest, YOU are controlling your money.
Not really.  You're giving it to a company to use as they wish.  You have no control whatsoever, short of selling the stock to get the money back.  But recovery of investment is, of course, less than guaranteed.   If, as I think you suggest, the people should buy stock to prevent themselves from being raped by the very companies in whom they are investing, then you propose a very strange system indeed.  I suppose it works great for the folks who can afford to buy stock (and take the occasional loss), but not so great for the people who can't afford it. 

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMIt's like the vicious fight the liberal left is putting up against self investment of our own Social Security money. Why have moronic government hacks control your money? Bunch of idiots have been wasting my tax dollars for years. Let me invest 1/3 of my social security money how I see fit and I will see a mush greater return than with the present system.
You are changing the subject from price gouging oil companies (and your defense of them) to Social Security.  The two are not alike at all.  Besides, SS is not an investment plan, it's an insurance plan.  Big difference.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:40:16 PMIt's not that farging difficult. It takes discipline and the right set of priorities.

It also takes a few other components: knowledge/education, and means.  Both of which are in damned short supply to scores of millions of citizens.

Wingspan

Quote from: PhillyGirl on November 09, 2005, 12:17:16 PM
Hey with the money you made, you should have no problem paying for the obscene price of Gas this winter.
i work just as hard every day to earn a paycheck too. just like everyone else here. and no, i wont have a big problem with it financially with a little luck, and a big does of financial planning.  something you should think about, and i assume, since you are newly married, have done just that.  you see...i did something about it. most wont do it, they would rather martyr themselves in a "woe is me" state to get someone else to do the work for them.

and what obscene gas price? is this from CNN again? remember the dreaded $5 a gallon article that you posted here? were are those prices? fact is it dropped ALOT since that scare tactic article. i am not defending the oil companies at all. but if you have the means to protect yourself from it, you should do what you can to do it.

Quote from: PhillyGirl on November 09, 2005, 12:17:16 PMfarg the rest of us who didn't buy stock though, you know...the ones who also work hard every day to earn a paycheck.

the same people who have eagles season tickets? digital cable with HD? broadband internet, buy a new eagles jersey every year. or drive an SUV where it's totally unnecessaty, go out and drop $50-100 in a bar over and over again, spend $100's on video games, dvds, big screen television ... all the while ignoring simple things like the cost of living ...etc...it's called priorities.

buying stock is not all that difficult. and hell, with a site like sharebuilder.com, you dont even need to buy full shares of anything. people would rather bitch about things than to take the time to maybe do a little bit of research and realize that it is an option for just about everyone with a moderate income. it's called being smart with money. people can chose to spend thier money any way they want.

yes, there is a percentage of the people in this country that legitimately can not afford your normal every day cost of living increases. and they do deserve to be helped, and given assistance, as long as they make a moderate effort to improve upon their situation. and i do help these people where i can, i donate money and time to charity all year long. i don't turn away from those who are less fortunate. .... however i am not one of these people. i was dedicated enough to have gotten a good education that i paid for 75% myself, and have used that to gain employment, everything i have, i have earned. so tell me, why should i not do what i did? i was able to afford it. i am not hurting anyone along the way. but i will not ignore my needs.

again, should i live in a poverish state because others do? should i not take advantage of what i can provide for me and my wife? why bother going to work everyday then? i can just quit, and then qualify for welfare, and then YOU can pay for my way through life, how's that?

so please lay off this woe is me mentality. i, along with everyone single person out there, have a future to think about...and i will not stop looking out for my interests because some people on a message board like to sound like a goddamned martyr. its very very transparent.
Connection Problems

stillupfront

Quote from: Diomedes on November 09, 2005, 12:43:03 PM
Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMI don't understand your point.
Well, no shtein!?!

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMIf you invest, YOU are controlling your money.
Not really.  You're giving it to a company to use as they wish.  You have no control whatsoever, short of selling the stock to get the money back.  But recovery of investment is, of course, less than guaranteed.   If, as I think you suggest, the people should buy stock to prevent themselves from being raped by the very companies in whom they are investing, then you propose a very strange system indeed.  I suppose it works great for the folks who can afford to buy stock (and take the occasional loss), but not so great for the people who can't afford it. 

Quote from: stillupfront on November 09, 2005, 12:18:47 PMIt's like the vicious fight the liberal left is putting up against self investment of our own Social Security money. Why have moronic government hacks control your money? Bunch of idiots have been wasting my tax dollars for years. Let me invest 1/3 of my social security money how I see fit and I will see a mush greater return than with the present system.
You are changing the subject from price gouging oil companies (and your defense of them) to Social Security.  The two are not alike at all.  Besides, SS is not an investment plan, it's an insurance plan.  Big difference.

You are not giving the money to the corporation but to the person you are buying it from. You are buying a part ownership in the company.

The SS analogy I am making is valid and yes I am kinda changing the subject but not really. If you follow my logic here, what i am suggesting is that if you had control over your SS investment account, you could have used that money to invest in oil companies and added those profits to your retirement portfolio.

1/9/06