Main Menu

Bye Bye TO

Started by bowzer, November 07, 2005, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on November 18, 2005, 08:26:28 AM
I'm not shocked by Trotter's comments. He's trying to play peacemaker.

What I am shocked by is it is not only Trotter saying he wants him back. I saw several interviews on CSN this morning from guys saying they'd take him back of course they all said he must make amends prior to returning.

Trotter
Lito
L.J
Kalu
Walker
G.Lewis (on DNL)

And Kalu was one of the more outspoken guys saying how TO was wrong. But he said he would bring him back.

I'm not defending TO either. But what I do find interesting is how many supporters he has.

The one thing Trot said that did surprise me was that he thinks Donovan would take TO back.
Is it really guys saying that they "want him back" or is it guys saying that "they would take him back".  There's a difference.  Most of you guys obviously have more access to these philly sports shows than I do so you may be seeing things I don't.  The only ones that I've seen come out and said that they "want TO back" are Trotter and Lito.  Reporters (like Sal) have been saying that other players "haven't said they don't want him back" and taking that to mean they want TO back on the team.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

The players simple minds don't understand that Jeff/Joe/Andy cannot bring T.O. back now.  There are underlying "political" and emotional reasons for it that a brain like Trotter's or Lito's can't comprehend.

1.  The Eagles have made it clear that T.O. is done to everyone involved.  They've cleaned out his locker.  They've taken down his page on the website.  Bringing him back shows a lack of resolve & a glut of desperation.

2.  With T.O. certain to not receive his roster bonus in 2006 and to go elsewhere, bringing him back for the final 7 games of a 4-5 season tells other offensive players that they suck.  That they left the team no other choice.  They'd be renting him for 7 games of a season down the tubes.  Why bother?

3.  For the continuity of the offense and the team, it's better to play guys that have a chance of suiting up for you next year, when they'll presumably try to make another run at a Super Bowl.

Look, NFL players are not smart guys in general, especially some of the ones that have spoken out.  Kalu seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, but he's also in the last year of a contract, and he knows how unlikely it is that he's on this team in 2006.  So, what does he care about the long-term effects?

T.O. won't be back in an Eagles uniform, which is why debating this any further is an exercise in futility.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteBLOCH TACKLING SETTLEMENT ISSUE

We've confirmed the report from ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that settlement talks have occurred regarding the Terrell Owens grievance challenging his four-game unpaid suspension.  An arbitration hearing on the matter is set for Friday, before Richard Bloch.

A source close to the action tells us that Bloch, not the parties, is pushing for a settlement.   

And the biggest sticking point, we're told, is an issue that isn't even before Bloch at the present time.  For now, Bloch's mandate technically is to determine whether and to what extent the four-game suspension should be reduced.  And if, in the end, Bloch imposes a suspension of at least two games, Owens will be owin' $1.725 million to the team under the clear bonus repayment terms of his contract.

The source explained that the NFLPA wants Owens to be reinstated or to be released.  The Eagles insist, per the source, that Owens will not be a free agent, and that reinstatement is highly unlikely.

With that said, the team realizes that some players have expressed a desire to bring Owens back.  In the end, the organization could use this as a way to save face, in the event that the franchise does a 180 on the question of whether T.O. ever suits up for the Eagles again.

henchmanUK

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 18, 2005, 08:38:16 AM
The players simple minds don't understand that Jeff/Joe/Andy cannot bring T.O. back now.  There are underlying "political" and emotional reasons for it that a brain like Trotter's or Lito's can't comprehend.

1.  The Eagles have made it clear that T.O. is done to everyone involved.  They've cleaned out his locker.  They've taken down his page on the website.  Bringing him back shows a lack of resolve & a glut of desperation.

2.  With T.O. certain to not receive his roster bonus in 2006 and to go elsewhere, bringing him back for the final 7 games of a 4-5 season tells other offensive players that they suck.  That they left the team no other choice.  They'd be renting him for 7 games of a season down the tubes.  Why bother?

3.  For the continuity of the offense and the team, it's better to play guys that have a chance of suiting up for you next year, when they'll presumably try to make another run at a Super Bowl.

Look, NFL players are not smart guys in general, especially some of the ones that have spoken out.  Kalu seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, but he's also in the last year of a contract, and he knows how unlikely it is that he's on this team in 2006.  So, what does he care about the long-term effects?

T.O. won't be back in an Eagles uniform, which is why debating this any further is an exercise in futility.

Well said.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

ice grillin you

However, most of us realize that blowing up the team and starting from scratch

only reid needs to be replaced...as for his replacement im not sure yet what may be out there...but what you do is move reid up to the front office and have him head a search for the best candidate...from day one reid was given to much power...he was a no name former offensive lineman qb coach who was given an absurd amount of power way to quickly...he shouldnt be gm...oc and head coach...of course reid probably wouldnt want to move upstairs and if thats the case say goodbye and banner and lurie will higher a new coach....they did a good job hiring reid they can do it again

the players are for the most part fine...certainly player personel wise nothing needs to be blown up...pieces need to be added and if done the right way they can be right back in the superbowl mix

tho i question his ability to win the big game and his leadership im nowhere near ready to jettison donovan...a change of scenery in the coahing dept i believe could do him well...

someone who wont coddle him for starters...for example if im the coach and my qb whos is a great runner blatantly tells me that he doesnt want to run then you best believe hes coming in my office and when he comes out hes going to be running the ball

a new offense...one that is geared more toward his strenghts...qb's win in football not systems...this is something andy doesnt realize...we wont get into clock management...play calling....gametime adjustments ect...

bottom line is a new atmosphere needs to come into this locker...one that doesnt put the qb above all other players...one that will bring a nasty attitude in...reid did his job and brought this team to where it is now and deserves much credit for that...but its clearly time for a change...

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 18, 2005, 08:37:46 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on November 18, 2005, 08:26:28 AM
I'm not shocked by Trotter's comments. He's trying to play peacemaker.

What I am shocked by is it is not only Trotter saying he wants him back. I saw several interviews on CSN this morning from guys saying they'd take him back of course they all said he must make amends prior to returning.

Trotter
Lito
L.J
Kalu
Walker
G.Lewis (on DNL)

And Kalu was one of the more outspoken guys saying how TO was wrong. But he said he would bring him back.

I'm not defending TO either. But what I do find interesting is how many supporters he has.

The one thing Trot said that did surprise me was that he thinks Donovan would take TO back.
Is it really guys saying that they "want him back" or is it guys saying that "they would take him back".  There's a difference.  Most of you guys obviously have more access to these philly sports shows than I do so you may be seeing things I don't.  The only ones that I've seen come out and said that they "want TO back" are Trotter and Lito.  Reporters (like Sal) have been saying that other players "haven't said they don't want him back" and taking that to mean they want TO back on the team.

Most of it is along the lines of "TO is a great player and wasn't a locker room trouble maker but his comments were out of line and I didn't like them. But I'd take him backif he made things right with Donovan and Andy".

That is the gist of what most of the guys I've heard are saying.

ice grillin you

Is it really guys saying that they "want him back" or is it guys saying that "they would take him back".

both all everything...a few have even said how great a teammate TO is...not only is that very detrimental to the eagle arbitration case but its also clearly a shot over mcnabbs bow...its out of control now...andy has completely lost the locker room

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 18, 2005, 08:42:13 AM
only reid needs to be replaced...as for his replacement im not sure yet what may be out there...but what you do is move reid up to the front office and have him head a search for the best candidate...from day one reid was given to much power...he was a no name former offensive lineman qb coach who was given an absurd amount of power way to quickly...he shouldnt be gm...oc and head coach...of course reid probably wouldnt want to move upstairs and if thats the case say goodbye and banner and lurie will higher a new coach....they did a good job hiring reid they can do it again

That's completely laughable.  Is there any part of you that actually thinks that is a remote possibility or makes any sense whatsoever?  That's probably the worst idea I've ever heard.

The exact opposite is a possibility - leaving final personnel decisions in the hands of Heckert and telling Reid to focus on coaching, but there's no way Reid would accept the GM job and have to find a new coach.  NO WAY.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 18, 2005, 08:45:09 AM
Is it really guys saying that they "want him back" or is it guys saying that "they would take him back".

both all everything...a few have even said how great a teammate TO is...not only is that very detrimental to the eagle arbitration case but its also clearly a shot over mcnabbs bow...its out of control now...andy has completely lost the locker room

How great a teammate he is?

LMFAO....right. Find me those quotes from a FEW (more than 2) players.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Is there any part of you that actually thinks that is a remote possibility or makes any sense whatsoever?

nope...but you didnt ask me what i thought would happen you aaked me what i would do

How great a teammate he is?

LMFAO....right. Find me those quotes from a FEW (more than 2) players.

greg lewis and lj both said it...im sure trotter has or would but i havent heard...and if that many have said it you can bet there are many more who believe it but wouldnt say it

look they are nuts and i totally disagree with them but thats not the point...i believe they are not so much supporting TO as they are bashing the front office and the qb...and the question is how did it get to that point...is it andy being part of the front office...is it a lack of faith and respect in the qb???...i mean what happened

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 18, 2005, 08:53:13 AM
i believe they are not so much supporting TO as they are bashing the front office and the qb..

You're a farging moron. Keep making comments like this and you'll continue to be laughed at on this board on the same level as a troll is.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 18, 2005, 08:42:13 AM

I disagree with you on Reid needing to go, bro. You don't take the guy out of the HC spot after one down year. 1999 doesn't count since that was the foundation year. But he's won a lot of games and while he doesn't have the big trophy to his credit, he is a very good coach. You simply do not remove him because they've suffered the Super Bowl Slump.

I was pretty vocal against him being the GM/HC back when he got it. I still do not like the dual roles because it creates a conflict in my opinion.

How can you say that Banner and Lurie made a good choice on hiring him but then want him gone? What has he really done to merit being fired if he was a "good hire"? And you can't fault him for being given the power. Would you turn down total control if you were in his shoes? I know I wouldn't.

But Reid doesn't deserve to go. If anything he should be just the HC and let Heckert be the GM.

Quotethe players are for the most part fine...certainly player personel wise nothing needs to be blown up...pieces need to be added and if done the right way they can be right back in the superbowl mix

Agreed.

Quotetho i question his ability to win the big game and his leadership im nowhere near ready to jettison donovan...a change of scenery in the coahing dept i believe could do him well...

I disagree here again. I think changing coaches is a detriment versus a good thing. Donovan needs to stay in the system that he knows. Like I said before 1 bad year shouldn't get Reid fired.

Quotesomeone who wont coddle him for starters...for example if im the coach and my qb whos is a great runner blatantly tells me that he doesnt want to run then you best believe hes coming in my office and when he comes out hes going to be running the ball

I agree that Reid should be more forceful in telling Donovan to do what it takes and if that means running then so be it. But that is something that you have to be gentle with because Donovan perceives that as a stereotype and he wants to break that. I applaud him for dedicating himself to being a better pocket passer and he;s done that. But I also think he should run more. But he has really become a good in-pocket QB. And we don't know that Donovan has blatantly declined to run or told Andy he refuses to do so. The way to do that is to approach Donovan with film facts and suggestions of like "Hey Don, you see that lane there after you went through your progressions? That could've been a 1st instead of a sack/punt"

Quotea new offense...one that is geared more toward his strenghts...qb's win in football not systems...this is something andy doesnt realize...we wont get into clock management...play calling....gametime adjustments ect...

I agree that Andy is too system oriented. But he also has broken the mold somewhat of the traditional WCO in the sense that he likes the deep ball. It took awhile to see that but it is here and that is Donovan's strength...throwing the intermediate-deep balls. So this offense is already a strength for him because he knows it. I want to keep the same offense. But I want more balance (as does everyone).

Quotebottom line is a new atmosphere needs to come into this locker...one that doesnt put the qb above all other players...one that will bring a nasty attitude in...reid did his job and brought this team to where it is now and deserves much credit for that...but its clearly time for a change...

Their philosophy is to build around the QB. I have no beef with that, but the change doesn't need to come after one year. The changes we need to see are more balance on offense, a different philosophy on defense in regards to the LBs and some other minor tinkering.

You don't blow the whole thing up after 5 very good years and then one bad year.

ice grillin you

if you dont believe theres a good portion of the locker room that distrusts or plain dislikes andy because they associate him with the front office and the front office has a reputation of strong arming players then youre blind

youre also blind if you dont believe a large portion of the locker room believes that they should have just paid TO back in the spring and gotten this out of the way...but that they are to cheap to do that and its their fault

this is one of the problems with having the coach as gm...its one of the reasons buddy ryan was beloved...same thing with parcells...it cant be underestimated how important it is to have your players feel as though their coach is on their side...and i dont believe that exists in the eagle locker room...which is probably the biggest reason andy gotta go

PhillyGirl

Yeah, those offensive players sure loved Buddy Ryan and felt like he was on their side.  ::)

I'm done reading your shtein. Its so ignorant, it gives me a headache.

PhillyPhreak54

Dawkins
Trotter
Smith
Lewis (Mike and Greg)

Those guys said that he is a good teammate. I'm not defending TO, but those guys did say it. I saw the clips on CSN and ESPN. The only one who hasn't said anything this week is Dawkins but hes said it in the past about how he loves TO.

And I don't see it as them taking shots at Reid or McNabb. I see it as them offering their opinions, much like we all are right now.

Trotter saying he thinks Donny Mac would take him back and Sheldon saying how TO and McNabb were getting along tell me that things might not be as terrible between the two as we think.