MLB Playoff Talk

Started by Geowhizzer, October 04, 2005, 02:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

They did not get screwed.  Look at the replay.  The ball hit the dirt first and then shot up into the catchers mitt.

The call was accurate even if the umpire wasn't decisive in his communication of it.

Also - the pitcher could have simply struck out the next batter, but instead, he allowed the pinch runner to steal second easily and then served up a meatball with the count at 0-2.

The Angels choked and the White Sox took advantage of an opportunity.  End of story.

henchmanUK

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 13, 2005, 07:28:24 AM
They did not get screwed.  Look at the replay.  The ball hit the dirt first and then shot up into the catchers mitt.

The call was accurate even if the umpire wasn't decisive in his communication of it.

Also - the pitcher could have simply struck out the next batter, but instead, he allowed the pinch runner to steal second easily and then served up a meatball with the count at 0-2.

The Angels choked and the White Sox took advantage of an opportunity.  End of story.

I haven't even seen it, yet somehow I agree!
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

SunMo

the ball didn't hit the dirt, the guy caught it and his glove hit the ground.

that being said, the umpire made the out call, the play is dead right then.  it's like when the refs blow a fumble dead because they are saying the guy is down.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Looked like he caught it to me but his glove hit the dirt. However.....

1. Josh Paul should've tagged him anyways or thrown to 1st as Pierzynski started running instead of tossing the ball to the mound. You see catchers tag or throw down to 1st even when they catch it a lot of times to be safe or to erase any doubt if the ball was close to the dirt.

2. Sciosca said they shouldn't have needed that call. He said they played poorly so that call doesn't make a difference. Granted he is pissed, but he's not using it as a crutch, which I like.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 13, 2005, 09:05:05 AM
1. Josh Paul should've tagged him anyways or thrown to 1st as Pierzynski started running instead of tossing the ball to the mound. You see catchers tag or throw down to 1st even when they catch it a lot of times to be safe or to erase any doubt if the ball was close to the dirt.

i totally agree.  i was a catcher for 15 years and i made that mistake once, and only once.  after that, everybody got tagged if my glove was even close to the ground.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

can we all agree that the rule itself is the dumbest in the history of sports
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Mad-Lad

there was a catcher at bat, a catcher behind the plate, and an ex-catcher managing the Angels, yet all three of them had no idea what the hell was going on.

hilarous!

henchmanUK

Quote from: Mad-Lad on October 13, 2005, 10:09:51 AM
there was a catcher at bat, a catcher behind the plate, and an ex-catcher managing the Angels, yet all three of them had no idea what the hell was going on.

hilarous!

Ahem, ONE of them knew what was going on!
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

PoopyfaceMcGee

I love seeing stuff like this happen when I couldn't care less about the outcome.  Good entertainment.

PoopyfaceMcGee

QuoteFox Cancels ALCS After Just Two Episodes

October 13, 2005 | Onion Sports

LOS ANGELES—Fox Entertainment president Gail Berman announced Thursday that the network is pulling the plug on ALCS, the new three-hour drama/comedy about two rival clubs competing for the coveted "pennant," just two shows into its run. "This uninspired series featured a cast of uninteresting characters, a hackneyed plot, and more boring narration than actual meaningful dialogue," Berman said. "We tried to find an audience on Tuesdays, then on Wednesdays, and we were prepared to move its time slot to Friday nights or Saturday afternoons before ultimately realizing that the series had zero potential." Television experts cited several other possible reasons for the early cancellation, such as the overly expensive sets and costumes, the show's subject matter, and the fact that the series' projected breakout character—a brash, outspoken black man named Carl Everett—tested very poorly with audiences. Fox remains optimistic about its other fledgling program, NLCS, but critics say the series has "very little chance" of making it past seven episodes.

Rome

Good God.  Look at the replay, please.

The ball is going towards the ground and then just as ball approaches the mitt, it does a sudden upward movement.

That's the ball hitting the dirt, ladies.  It was a trap and it's as clear as a bell, especially if you've ever played the position.  I knew it as soon as I saw it.

Also - the catcher screwed up.  Whether he caught it or not, he shouldn't have tossed the ball away immediately.  He should have turned to the batter and tagged him just to be sure.  Either that, or he should have thrown the ball to first to be certain of getting the out.

MURP

i dunno, didnt look like it was a trap to me. 

MDS

Quote from: MURP on October 13, 2005, 09:24:24 PM
i dunno, didnt look like it was a trap to me. 

well ur obviously stoopid
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MURP

hbionic

I hate the Angels. I'm pulling for the White Sox and/or anyone playing against them. Screw the O.C.  :boom
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05