FLYERS 2005-06 SEASON THREAD!

Started by PhillyGirl, August 28, 2005, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

The NHL is a league of pussified refs who call everything, leaving the flyers who are far less physical now than 3 years ago still to physical for the Bettman bullies.  Speed wins in the NHL in the playoffs, its not 1976 anymore
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:45:52 PM
The reason the Flyers haven't won a cup by now is because of goaltending and goal scoring, not defense. The Flyers have always been solid defensively, so skating around our team hasn't been an issue. We didn't have the quality goalie to lead our team to a parade, and the last few years we didn't have the scoring. Especially before Hitch got here, and the dump and chase years.

Our defense hasn't been that stellar in years past. Hitchcock has installed a great defensive system but THIS YEAR they've been very mediocre and I blame that solely on the rule changes combined with our slow ass defense. In years past we could sort of get away with it due to clutching and grabbing not being as strictly enforced and the fact that the size of our D could just smother forwards into submission. This is a new NHL, a faster open ice type that allows speedy forwards to move the puck at will.

The BIGSTUD

We've both stated our cases. It's down to the teams to duke out the argument for us now.

We both agree on one thing. We want the Flyers to win it all, and that's what I'm looking forward to seeing.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

NGM

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:54:47 PM
We've both stated our cases. It's down to the teams to duke out the argument for us now.

We both agree on one thing. We want the Flyers to win it all, and that's what I'm looking forward to seeing.

HOLLA!

From TSN:

QuoteDangerous teams in the hunt for the Cup

Karen Price
For Sporting News

A team needs a number of elements to come together during the two-month postseason for it to win the Stanley Cup:

# A hot goaltender.

# Depth.

# Health.

# Luck.

Such pieces are in place for five teams:

Flyers. Given their inconsistency, they aren't expected to be playing in late May, let alone June. But the skills of goalies Robert Esche and Antero Niittymaki coupled with coach Ken Hitchcock's instincts for managing the postseason make Philadelphia a threat.

If center/left winger Peter Forsberg can get healthy and stay on the ice, the Flyers could be more dangerous.

But the real reason no team likes to play the Flyers in the postseason is that their opponents know they will pay a hefty physical price.

I got rid of the other five but if you want to see it go to TSN.com
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

BigEd76

First game:  7PM Saturday

SAT-MON-WED-FRI-SUN-TUE-THU

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

unfortunately this reminds me a lot of 2001 when buffalo and the flyers met in the playoffs...except buffalo is faster and has more scoring...expect a series just like that one where buffalo skated circles around the flyers and beat them 4-2...this year it might not even be that close tho as the flyers are playing brutal hockey right now and buffalo is flying...just like 01 i also expect an ugly route at some point in this series much like the 7-0 pasting in the series finale

prediction buffalo 4-1

Game One
Saturday, April 22
Philadelphia at Buffalo
7:00 p.m.

Game Two
Monday, April 24
Philadelphia at Buffalo

Game Three
Wednesday, April 26
Buffalo at Philadelphia

Game Four
Friday, April 28
Buffalo at Philadelphia

Game Five
Sunday, April 30
Philadelphia at Buffalo
2:00 p.m.

Game Six
Tuesday, May 2
Buffalo at Philadelphia

Game Seven
Thursday, May 4
Philadelphia at Buffalo
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

All games are on CSN unless NBC picks up game 5...

MDS

i figure rangers/devils will be the #1 game for the nhl. gotta love the new york market.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i hope the devils love having 15,000 ranger fans at the meadowlands for each game
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

in Daniel Rubin's blog on Philly.com, he lists some posts from a Sabres' message board.

"Bring on the Cryers" is the most original.

Buffalo = hotbed for sarcastic wit
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 18, 2006, 10:04:44 PM
I don't have anything to back me up except wait and see,

that seems to be your MO in everything you talk about. 

BigEd76

Flyers scout Dean Lombardi, who used to be the GM of the Sharks, just agreed to a President/GM deal with the Kings.  The Flyers get a 2nd-round pick as compensation...  :yay

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 19, 2006, 01:44:53 PM
Flyers scout Dean Lombardi, who used to be the GM of the Sharks, just agreed to a President/GM deal with the Kings.  The Flyers get a 2nd-round pick as compensation...  :yay

Which will be packaged with another 2nd round pick next year for a slow, big, 30 year old defenseman. Count on it.

PoopyfaceMcGee