Baseball Card Collectors: Remember This?

Started by SD_Eagle5, August 06, 2005, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: QB Eagles on August 12, 2005, 12:03:48 PMWho's left selling them these days? Topps, Upper Deck, Donruss/Leaf?

Pretty much...but each of those companies has about 20 different sets a year....

BigEd76

Quote from: SSgt PSN on August 12, 2005, 11:51:56 AMAnyone remember the 1984 Fleer Update set?  Gooden rookie, Mattingly rookie, Puckett, Gwynn, etc, etc.  I think within 2 years after it's release it was already getting around $400 for the set which was simply amazing at the time.  Most complete sets were only pulling about $30.   

It's one of the few sets I don't have....yet...  >:D

Sgt PSN

My grandfather told me the same exact thing when I was a little kid  and I don't think I've ever heard anything more true.  And you're right about Beckett too.  It's just a guide.  If you get close to what they've listed in the book for a card, you're doing alright.  If you get the book value you're lucky.  And if you get more than book value then you've found a sucker and should immediately try and sell him the Brooklyn Bridge and some swamp land in New Mexico. 

BigEd76

BTW, that 84 Update set had the Clemens, Puckett and Gooden RCs.  Gwynn was '83 (with Boggs), and Mattingly was in the regular 1984 set...  :paranoid  :-\

Sgt PSN

Yeah, you're right.  I think the Mattingly rookie might have been in the 84 Topps Traded set instead of the Fleer Update.  I dunno, that was so farging long ago.  Regardless, the 84 Fleer Update had quite a few cards that were almost immediate money makers. 

mussa

i had that card and prob still do. never realized his bat, lmao.  anyway i have every jose canseco rookie card.  too bad his career went to shtein.  what a fargin icehole.  he was my idol in baseball.  dick.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: SSgt PSN on August 12, 2005, 02:07:39 PM
Yeah, you're right.  I think the Mattingly rookie might have been in the 84 Topps Traded set instead of the Fleer Update.  I dunno, that was so farging long ago.  Regardless, the 84 Fleer Update had quite a few cards that were almost immediate money makers. 

84' Mattingly TOPPS RC

'84 DONRUSS

'84 FLEER

Geowhizzer

I think that eBay has contributed to the bottom dropping out of prices for cards.  Back even 10 years ago, you had to go to a dealer or a card show in order to purchase an older card.  Since most towns were lucky to have one dealer, there wasn't much supply, which drove the prices up.

Today, an eBay search for 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt netted  me 31 auctions.  With so many trying to sell, the supply exceeds demand and lowers the asking price.   Heck, one was going for less than $20.

The other thing driving down prices of older cards is grading.  Today the demand for cards are those that have been graded by companies.  Even a top-notch non-graded card will fetch a lower price than a 6/7 graded card in many cases.

QB Eagles

Worthless baseball card collection.

In 1990, Greg Gross was placed on the 15 day DL after the extreme tightness in his baseball pants resulted in his left leg going without blood for over 4 hours. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

QuoteIn 1989, Steve Jeltz submitted a formal request to the League to wear a helmet on the playing field in order to protect his prize winning jheri curl.  It was denied.

:-D