NFL Free Agent Tracker (Offensive Players)

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 08, 2005, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcnabbfan788

They seem to lik eMcGahee more, but I don't know hwy.  They bhnoth fumble a lot, but Henry has more run power.  Not a wise move by buffalo, but hey, we'll tak ehim.  Not a bad bakup.

BigEd76

McGahee was a top-3 pick before the injury.  Now that he's recovered, he appears to be back to that form.....

QB Eagles

Abraham was just finally officially tagged.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Father Demon

Bucs sign Akili Smith

Buccaneers sign QB Smith

February 18, 2005
TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) - Quarterback Akili Smith is getting another chance.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday signed Smith, who has not played in the NFL since the 2002 season, and assigned him to the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe.

Terms were not disclosed.

Smith, the third overall pick in the 1999 draft, never lived up to his billing with the Cincinnati Bengals and was released in June 2003. He signed with the Green Bay Packers later that month but did not make the active roster.

In Cincinnati, the 29-year-old Smith started 17 of 22 games and completed less than 47 percent of his passes (215-of-461) for 2,212 yards and just five touchdowns with 13 interceptions.

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

MDS

Are they goin sign Tim Couch, Eric Crouch and Lawrence Phillips too?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

PhillyGirl

FWIW...from espn insider rumor section:

QuoteFeb. 18 - With the Jets having used their franchise tag on DE John Abraham, Jordan is expected to hit free agency with a number of suitors lined up. According to the N.Y. Times, the Raiders already have approached the Jets about trading for Jordan but now can wait and attempt to sign him after March 2.

The Buccaneers also have been mentioned as a possible destination for Jordan. Tampa recently hired former Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, who is more than familiar with Jordan's abilities, both as a runner and a pass-catcher out of the backfield.

The Jets still will attempt to re-sign Jordan, but he reportedly wants a significant raise and more carries. "If I do decide to come back here," Jordan told the N.Y. Daily News, "it's because they presented me with an offer that I feel comfortable with, and because I seriously feel like I have a legitimate chance of starting."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on February 18, 2005, 01:43:27 PM
Bucs sign Akili Smith

Buccaneers sign QB Smith

February 18, 2005
TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) - Quarterback Akili Smith is getting another chance.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday signed Smith, who has not played in the NFL since the 2002 season, and assigned him to the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe.

Terms were not disclosed.

Smith, the third overall pick in the 1999 draft, never lived up to his billing with the Cincinnati Bengals and was released in June 2003. He signed with the Green Bay Packers later that month but did not make the active roster.

In Cincinnati, the 29-year-old Smith started 17 of 22 games and completed less than 47 percent of his passes (215-of-461) for 2,212 yards and just five touchdowns with 13 interceptions.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

If he starts a game for them next year, it'll be awesome to see.

PhillyPhreak54

I just remembered that the Bucs have had Ryan Leaf on their roster too. Ed's call for Cade McNown might not be too far off. Perhaps Gino Torreta will be their new QB coach? :D

Philly_Crew

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 18, 2005, 07:54:32 PM
I just remembered that the Bucs have had Ryan Leaf on their roster too. Ed's call for Cade McNown might not be too far off. Perhaps Gino Torreta will be their new QB coach? :D
They caught lightening giving Griese another chance but he wants to get paid.  They are probably hoping they can do the same thing with Alkili.

Father Demon

Yahoo has a decent wrap up of the top FA's, plus some tag and salary cap information.

Hitting the market
The top available unrestricted free agents (listed with their 2004 teams):

1. Shaun Alexander, RB, Seahawks
2. Plaxico Burress, WR, Steelers
3. Pat Williams, DT, Bills
4. Kendrell Bell, ILB, Steelers
5. Donovin Darius, SS, Jaguars
6. Jerry Porter, WR, Raiders
7. Gary Baxter, CB/S, Ravens
8. Derrick Burgess, DE, Eagles
9. Jeremiah Trotter, MLB, Eagles
10. Fred Smoot, CB, taterskins
11. Ed Hartwell, ILB, Ravens
12. Bubba Franks, TE, Packers
13. Jermane Mayberry, G, Eagles
14. Reggie Hayward, DE, Broncos
15. Mark Fields, OLB, Panthers
16. Jason Ferguson, DT, Jets
17. Ken Lucas, CB, Seahawks
18. Andre Dyson, CB, Titans
19. Chike Okeafor, DE, Seahawks
20. Drew Bledsoe, QB, Bills
21. Ben Hamilton, G/C, Broncos
22. LaMont Jordan, RB, Jets
23. Casey Rabach, C, Ravens
24. Anthony Becht, TE, Jets
25. Tony Williams, DT, Bengals

A game of tag
Players who were given franchise tags, which means they remain property of their teams and are very unlikely to change teams:

John Abraham, DE, Jets
Drew Brees, QB, Chargers
Darren Howard, DE, Saints
Rudi Johnson, RB, Bengals
Orlando Pace, OT, Rams
Corey Simon, DT, Eagles

Players who were expected to get franchise tags entering the week:

Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Seahawks
Edgerrin James, RB, Colts
Julian Peterson, OLB, 49ers
Charles Woodson, CB, Raiders

Making sense of teams' dollars
A look at all 32 teams' salary cap status, based on a projected 2005 cap of $85 million:

Arizona: Has money to be a major free-agent player.
Atlanta: Waiting to decide how to prorate Michael Vick's bonus.
Baltimore: In its best cap shape since 1996.
Buffalo: Positioned well to re-sign key players, pursue other veterans.
Carolina: Releasing Muhsin Muhammad would free $10.2 million.
Chicago: Has ample cap room and could create more if needed.
Cincinnati: Already budgeted all but $2 million of its cap space.
Cleveland: Dumping Jeff Garcia will put the Browns $9.5 million under the cap.
Dallas: Plenty of ammo ($20 million) for the free-agent market.
Denver: Scrambling to find the money to actively pursue free agents.
Detroit: $23 million in cap space, but lots of players to re-sign.
Green Bay: Little room to maneuver on the market.
Houston: Has about $5 million in space but won't be active in the market.
Indianapolis: $20 million cap cushion will disappear quickly.
Jacksonville: Plans to put its sizeable cap surplus to good use.
Kansas City: Should rectify its cap deficit relatively painlessly.
Miami: Cuts will put it under the cap but won't leave spending money.
Minnesota: Has as much cap space as any team in the league.
New England: After bloated contracts are trimmed, Pats will have room to maneuver.
New Orleans: Expected to be $4 million under but could easily free more cash.
N.Y. Giants: Should have more cap flexibility than in recent years.
N.Y. Jets: Anticipated $9 million in cap space when the free-agent period begins.
Oakland: In fine shape; will have more space if Rich Gannon's deal is adjusted.
Philadelphia: Will have about $8 million available for free agents.
Pittsburgh: Continues to sit right up against the cap.
St. Louis: Will have room to make a couple of moderate to large free-agent strikes.
San Diego: After tagging Drew Brees, will have $13 million to spend.
San Francisco: Poised to be a stronger market force with $20 million available.
Seattle: With plenty of players to re-sign, its available $22 million will go fast.
Tampa Bay: Needs to restructure contracts, make cuts to combat $14 million cap hole.
Tennessee: With a $27 million cap deficit, cuts are imminent.
Washington : Could make a few waves with $4 million in cap room.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Father Demon

Looking at that cap list, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, and Jacksonville could all make some big waves, and move into the W column more frequently than during last season.

I would love to see Dallas make a couple big splashes, and still suck.  Would anything be better?

PhillyGirl

QuoteColts expected to use franchise tag on James
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Colts locked up their right tackle for the next seven years by signing Ryan Diem to a seven-year deal worth a little more than $36 million. Included in the deal are signing and option bonuses in excess of $10 million a year.

"This is the best of all worlds," Diem's agent Cliff Brady told The Associated Press. "He got the team he wanted, the deal he wanted and it worked out real well."

The contract will pay Diem $19 million over the first three years of the contract and fill out the base of a solid offensive line.

"All things being equal, he wanted to stay," Brady told the AP. "So it's great he could get a deal done at the place he wanted to play."

With Diem under contract, the Colts are solid at both right and left tackle because left tackle Tarik Glenn is signed through 2007. Jeff Saturday is locked in through 2008 and is on the verge of becoming one of the best centers in the game.

"I think (Diem's signing is) huge because you have your left tackle, center and right tackle set," Brady told the AP. "You have receivers set, and the only thing that's missing is the guards."

PhillyGirl

QuotePackers | Franks Tagged as Transition Player - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:39:36 -0800

The Green Bay Packers have announced they will designate TE Bubba Franks as the team's "transition" player, allowing the team to maintain a right of first refusal to match any offer sheet Franks receives from another team. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent March 2. The Packers plan to negotiate a long-term deal with Franks.