Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

You know the studios are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they think the time is right to greenlight a Jumanji movie. Anything to avoid having to market a new franchise, I guess.

PhillyPhreak54

Remakes upon remakes

Pretty soon they'll remake everything with The Rock in it

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on July 14, 2017, 10:13:50 PM
Had no interest in seeing the new Spider-Man...the thought of another reboot of the same character within a 15 year time frame is absurd. But my daughter wanted to see it so I took her. It's not a reboot, it's more of a tie in between Spider-Man and the Avengers.

Yeah, it's the same kid from CA: Civil War.  I'm assuming this story takes place after Civil War and there isn't going to be a "true" origin story coming from the MCU.  I'm going to see it tomorrow.  Pretty excited about this one.

QuoteGonna check out the new Planet of the Apes next. I caught Dawn of the planet of the apes the other day and thought it was decent.

This is on my watch list too.  Have you seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes yet?  It's the first story in the series and Dawn is the 2nd installment.  It's a slow developing story but I really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty well done.  Definitely worth watching if you enjoyed Dawn.  You could definitely compare it to Star Wars Ep 1 in the sense that it's basically setting the stage for everything that comes after it while not really being necessary to actually watch in order to understand/appreciate what's going on in the subsequent films.  Unlike SW Ep1, it's actually enjoyable though. 

SD

Tom Holland. He's a goofier less mature version of the Spiderman from the last two series. But he sort of has to be because of his interactions with Stark. Aside from the fight sequence with him I wasn't a big fan of Civil War. They work that scene into the movie.

I enjoyed Rise. No idea why I waited so long to watch Dawn. War is getting great reviews.

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 12, 2017, 10:33:23 PM
I preferred the first two parts just because there was so much never before seen footage

the second half was good but just a rehash of already documented well known stuff...also part 4 basically turned into an infomercial for iovine and dre's businesses

i binged this yesterday and agree that it got weaker as it went on. overall it's definitely worth a watch but just seemed to be a little all over the place for me. some segues were a real stretch. and i'm an apple nerd but apple music is never gonna be a thing guys.

Rome

The scene in the studio with Dre and Eminem was ridiculously good.  Also - I've always wondered what it was like to be insanely rich.  Now I know.   Dre's beach crib was nice. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on July 16, 2017, 03:50:53 PM
Also - I've always wondered what it was like to be insanely rich.  Now I know.   Dre's beach crib was nice.

lol

it was unbelievably pretentious at times

the guest list at iovines wedding was just preposterous
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The studio in the new house looked like a prepper's fallout shelter.  Lol.

Sgt PSN

Spiderman Homecoming was pretty good. I like how they tied it to the original Avengers movie and Civil War.    Wasn't a big fan of the portrayal of Flash though. Flash is a popular jock who antagonizes/bullies Peter, not some nerdy kid who plays second fiddle to him on the geek squad. Can't believe that dude will eventually become Agent Venom. But yeah, well done overall.  Fun movie.

Jumanji looks dumb af but will probably have a ton of solid 1 liners. I won't go out of my way to see it, but I could see it generating laughs while simultaneously being terrible.

Dark Tower looks decent enough. Never read the books so I'll probably enjoy it more than people who have read them.

SD

I was fine with them changing Flash's character. More so because I wanted them to get as far away from the other two movies as possible. The flash/bully angle is played out imo. MJ's character was a nice surprise. She was always the white trash girl next door type, now she's a bitter rebellion anti-establishment chick. Nice change up.

Sgt PSN

I did like the MJ angle.  Was a nice little surprise at the end. 

I guess it doesn't matter if Flash is a jock or not, but the "beauty" of his relationship with Peter has been that Flash despises Peter, but loves Spiderman. That much still holds true, but I don't even know how a kid that dopey gets the nickname Flash to begin with. Just seems like they went a little too far off the beaten path. It's pretty minor, but still irked me throughout the movie.

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 17, 2017, 11:15:19 AM
I did like the MJ angle.  Was a nice little surprise at the end. 

I guess it doesn't matter if Flash is a jock or not, but the "beauty" of his relationship with Peter has been that Flash despises Peter, but loves Spiderman. That much still holds true, but I don't even know how a kid that dopey gets the nickname Flash to begin with. Just seems like they went a little too far off the beaten path. It's pretty minor, but still irked me throughout the movie.

This might sound racist or whatever but making him Indian (I'm assuming that's his ethnicity) was a bad choice. He should have been somewhat built too. They picked a nerdy DJ type.

Sgt PSN

I don't care about his ethnicity.  I love it when they change the race of characters because it drives white america absolutely insane.  I just would have preferred they kept him as more of an alpha male over Peter.

ice grillin you

deadpool - straight trash...thought it would at least be funny like the reviews said....basically was an excuse to use up two hrs of people's lives to show boring hand to hand combat scenes

3/10
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

Didn't like dunkirk as much as I was expecting.