The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

there should be an nba hall of fame like the other three major sports have and thats it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Eh....I don't care so much if it's exclusively NBA or not.  I've never been to the HOF but I'm assuming that it's broken down into different "wings" or something right?  Like an NBA wing and ABA wing, etc, etc?  Or is it just everything thrown in together? 

ice grillin you

never been either...bb hof is a farce

DH

from what i remember, everything is thrown together aside from a wing where they honor the team usa's. i was there a few months back and it almost looked like a jacked up applebees - jerseys and memoribilia hanging all over the place, but i never got the feeling that i was in a hof. it certainly doesnt compare to the baseball hof.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: DH on April 05, 2011, 01:47:06 PM
from what i remember, everything is thrown together aside from a wing where they honor the team usa's. i was there a few months back and it almost looked like a jacked up applebees - jerseys and memoribilia hanging all over the place, but i never got the feeling that i was in a hof. it certainly doesnt compare to the baseball hof.

That's awful.  If they had it separated into different wings for each league, then I think it would be ok.  But that's just terrible.  I visited the new college hof in KC a few years ago (late 07 or early 08 I think) and it had only been open for about a year at the time.  They already had a bunch of stuff in it though....very impressive. 

DH

they have a shteinload of interactive stuff which is probably great for kids - get a chance to call an alltime great play, play against a computerized jordan, etc - but if youre going there to see the history of the league, i wouldnt get my hopes up.

but if you wanna play ball, thats your place - there are more courts to play on in there than there are exibits.

Diomedes

Quote from: DH on April 05, 2011, 01:58:54 PMbut if you wanna play ball, thats your place - there are more courts to play on in there than there are exibits.

that is cool
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i heard the nancy leiberman vulva friendly exhibit is fun times for the girls

DH

Quote from: Diomedes on April 05, 2011, 02:00:55 PM
Quote from: DH on April 05, 2011, 01:58:54 PMbut if you wanna play ball, thats your place - there are more courts to play on in there than there are exibits.

that is cool

and there arent even any dickhead homeowners calling the cops to get them to leave

Sgt PSN

Yeah, if I were to visit a hof, it's not because I want to play video games or lace 'em up and go play.  It's because I want to see the history of the sport.  Interactive stuff is cool and all and I think it's great that they have all that stuff in there, but it shouldn't outnumber the exhibits. 

Now that I think about it though, basketball hof would probably be fairly lame compared to baseball.  I mean, in the basketball hof, you have the usual memorabilia with jerseys and sneakers and balls and maybe some nets or something.  But what else is there?  But in baseball, you get all of that too with uniforms and balls, bats, etc, etc.....but then you also get goofy shtein too like Schilling's bloody sock or Brett's pine tar bat.....maybe even a battery thrown at JD Drew.  Was there anything kind of off the wall like that in the basketball hof? 

DH

each member had his own "locker" of stuff behind glass...so a jersey, sneakers, and anything else which defined the player along with pics and stats.

youre right though - there is very little gear from specific games there. think about it - when your boy halladay threw the perfect game, one of the first things that happened (i presume) was a call from the hof asking for the ball. ive never heard of that in basketball (or football for that matter)

DH

wait, i misremembered - there is an atrium where you walk in and you see all the members faces from above. then theres another section which has all those lockers i mentioned. i had a meeting in springfield a few months back down the street from the hall so i popped in for what i thought was going to be a couple hours..i think i bounced after an hour, max. 

ice grillin you

charlie

Quote from: DH on April 05, 2011, 02:18:03 PM
each member had his own "locker" of stuff behind glass...so a jersey, sneakers, and anything else which defined the player along with pics and stats.

youre right though - there is very little gear from specific games there. think about it - when your boy halladay threw the perfect game, one of the first things that happened (i presume) was a call from the hof asking for the ball. ive never heard of that in basketball (or football for that matter)

I remember the football HOF asking for jerseys from some players... when they set single game records, etc.

QB Eagles