The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

i think what rome wants is for everything to be run as a nonprofit or something....so players make like 35-40k a year and tickets are $10
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Quote from: phattymatty on July 02, 2016, 10:14:59 AM
would it be better that the owners get to just keep it all?

Also known as the NCAA model.

Rome

I'm happy for them.  I already said that.  I do find it interesting that other pro athletes seem to be questioning it, though. 

MDS

i think its just football players, and rightfully so, they are insanely underpaid relative to the industry

i wonder if this will give the nflpa the motivation to call for massive changes, which could lead to a long ass strike. its a tough position for them to be in, because each lost check for a football player hurts more due to the shorter career length.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Might also be the difference between being one of 1700 players in a league no one outside the US cares about versus being one of 450 players in a league that is watched all over the world. Also, in the NBA, one superstar can be the difference between cellar dwelling and competing for a championship, which means one player can make a huge difference in the value of a team. No so much in football.

Rome

Took me 10 seconds to find the revenue information on Wikipedia.  The NFL players have a case, but yeah, look at the NBA revenues for your answer as to why middle of the road players are being given 100 million dollar deals.  It's insane.

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on July 02, 2016, 04:25:10 PM
Might also be the difference between being one of 1700 players in a league no one outside the US cares about versus being one of 450 players in a league that is watched all over the world. Also, in the NBA, one superstar can be the difference between cellar dwelling and competing for a championship, which means one player can make a huge difference in the value of a team. No so much in football.

its all about the tv deal...the nfl destroys all in that. consider baseball has a 40 man active roster, only 20 or so players off from the nfl, and their salaries dwarf football. look at the revenue difference, its insane.

the nflpa will never have the support a long strike centeted around wholesale, radical changes to the cba -- too many players simply cannot afford to lose checks -- but they damn well should

MDS

nm

phattymatty

knicks starting lineup is old as farg but if they can stay healthy this year, melo, rose, noah and crap snacks bazinga is a solid starting 5.

PhillyPhreak54

There's dudes I've never heard of getting huge deals

This is insane

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 03, 2016, 01:09:26 PM

This is insane

owners should keep the money for themselves amiright

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 03, 2016, 01:09:26 PM

This is insane

the salary floor for next year is 15 million more than the salary cap was last season
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I saw that

Kings, for some reason, have rescinded the qualifying offer to Seth Curry. He will be a FA

Sgt PSN

Quote from: phattymatty on July 02, 2016, 10:14:59 AM
the tv money is coming in regardless...i don't see why people are getting mad that the players are getting more of it. would it be better that the owners get to just keep it all?

I don't get it either.  It's no different for pro-sports as it is for the rest of the working world, really.  If the company you work for continues to increase profits, then it's only fair to say that some of that money should be passed on to the people working there.  And the ones who drive the revenue get the biggest cut. 

I guess what Rome is getting at is the fact that the cost of going to a game takes like 3 months of saving for a working class family, and I definitely understand that, but wtf is the NBA or NFL or MLB supposed to do?  Turn down tv deals and demand less sponsorship money? 

ice grillin you

a better solution in basketball would be to have the superstars making 70 million a year....would still piss off the average fan but as an nba junkie id way rather see that than see scrubs getting 15-20 million a year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous