Eagles/Giants - Post Game thread

Started by SD_Eagle5, November 20, 2005, 04:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevant

Quote from: Purple_Hayz on November 21, 2005, 11:39:50 AM
When discussing the ineffective blitzing let us not forget that it's really easy to beat the blitz when chances are a receiver is going to be open because half of the secondary fellates llamas.
I disagree.  If the blitz is working, the only way to beat it is with short plays.  The Eagles are getting beat deep on blitzes, which means the blitz isn't getting there.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Purple_Hayz

Quote from: Cerevant on November 21, 2005, 11:57:27 AM
Quote from: Purple_Hayz on November 21, 2005, 11:39:50 AM
When discussing the ineffective blitzing let us not forget that it's really easy to beat the blitz when chances are a receiver is going to be open because half of the secondary fellates llamas.
I disagree. If the blitz is working, the only way to beat it is with short plays. The Eagles are getting beat deep on blitzes, which means the blitz isn't getting there.
Yes of course, because the ineffectiveness is all about the blitzers not getting there.  The guys that don't blitz can just sit around with their thumbs up their collective asses because it's not like y'know they actually have to keep the receivers from a) running their route and b) getting open or anything, especially when the receivers are running deep.  I mean, these guys run 40 yards in under five seconds.  There's no need for the defense to concern themselves with covering and disrupting those deep routes or anything because there's no way they could get 15-20 yards downfield before a good blitz got to the QB, right? :P

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I cut myself

Cerevant

Quote from: Purple_Hayz on November 21, 2005, 11:37:46 PM
Yes of course, because the ineffectiveness is all about the blitzers not getting there.  The guys that don't blitz can just sit around with their thumbs up their collective asses because it's not like y'know they actually have to keep the receivers from a) running their route and b) getting open or anything, especially when the receivers are running deep.  I mean, these guys run 40 yards in under five seconds.  There's no need for the defense to concern themselves with covering and disrupting those deep routes or anything because there's no way they could get 15-20 yards downfield before a good blitz got to the QB, right? :P
:-o

Does the term "hot read" mean nothing to you?  If a QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball, he has "all day".  A blitz should get to him in 1-2 seconds.  That gives your receiver running full speed in a straight line time to get 10-15 yards.  Sheppard jumped a 10 yard hitch and go on a play where he knew a blitz was called, so it should be likely that either a) the ball would be coming to his man fast, or b) the ball would be going somewhere else.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

bobbyinlondon

Here's Brookover on his PLAYBACK segment in today's Inquirer:

Bad route

Weakside linebacker Keith Adams blitzed on the Giants' game-clinching touchdown pass from Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress. For some reason, however, he didn't make an inside move, and that gave Manning time to pump-fake. Sheldon Brown bit on the fake and Burress ran past him for the touchdown in the 27-17 Giants victory.

In Saturday's preview of the Sunday's game, they also talked about the Cowboys' game where the blitz failed to get there--it seems there was an unnamed player that WAS SUPPOSED TO BLITZ, BUT DIDN'T.

SunMo

Quote from: Purple_Hayz on November 21, 2005, 11:37:46 PM

you really don't understand football huh?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on November 22, 2005, 07:41:48 AM
In Saturday's preview of the Sunday's game, they also talked about the Cowboys' game where the blitz failed to get there--it seems there was an unnamed player that WAS SUPPOSED TO BLITZ, BUT DIDN'T.

i think it was Matt Ware, he either didn't blitz on that play or took a poor path like Adams, I remember his name being connected with that play.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on November 22, 2005, 07:41:48 AM
Here's Brookover on his PLAYBACK segment in today's Inquirer:

Bad route

Weakside linebacker Keith Adams blitzed on the Giants' game-clinching touchdown pass from Eli Manning to Plaxico Burress. For some reason, however, he didn't make an inside move, and that gave Manning time to pump-fake. Sheldon Brown bit on the fake and Burress ran past him for the touchdown in the 27-17 Giants victory.

Hooray for more stories about our defense shteinting the bed!
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Syracuse

There was no pressure at all from the LB's on that play. I was sitting in the end zone watching that play, and the LB's were a non factor.
Sheldon biting on the pump fake, that was the real problem on that play.
I am an agent of chaos

PoopyfaceMcGee

Just like last week with Bledsoe/Glenn/Lito... the CB practices to move on the QB's first move, because the blitz is theoretically supposed to get there before the QB has time to double-pump.  Both of those plays fall squarely on the lack of pressure gotten by the blitz.

MadMarchHare

I thought Sheldon's real mistake was letting up when Burress slowed down.  He should have used that mistake by Burress to get in front of him, prevent a 20 yd catch from becoming a TD.
Anyone but Reid.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MadMarchHare on November 22, 2005, 08:45:20 AM
I thought Sheldon's real mistake was letting up when Burress slowed down.  He should have used that mistake by Burress to get in front of him, prevent a 20 yd catch from becoming a TD.

Agreed.  He let a much bigger guy juke him, and a small CB can't afford to do that.  Still, Manning had way too much time.

Purple_Hayz

Quote from: Cerevant on November 22, 2005, 07:28:34 AM
:-o

Does the term "hot read" mean nothing to you? If a QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball, he has "all day". A blitz should get to him in 1-2 seconds. That gives your receiver running full speed in a straight line time to get 10-15 yards. Sheppard jumped a 10 yard hitch and go on a play where he knew a blitz was called, so it should be likely that either a) the ball would be coming to his man fast, or b) the ball would be going somewhere else.
Yeah I'm aware of the concept, thanks.  My point, of course, is that irrespective of the amount of pressure a blitz actually gets or does not get if our coverage guys are doing their jobs then there's no way that a receiver should be getting wide the hell open downfield inside of three seconds yet they have so the backs deserve their share of the blame for that.  One does not contradict the other.

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I cut myself

ice grillin you

there really won't be a need to draft a stud DE. Instead, we need a difference making OLB.

welcome to july
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous