TSN's Pompei: "Believe me: It's the Eagles"

Started by SunMo, September 01, 2005, 03:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

QuoteBelieve me: It's the Eagles
Posted: September 1, 2005
Sporting News

While all the video cameras and flies have been drawn to the T.O. sideshow, the Eagles quietly have gone about the business of laying the bricks for a championship season.

Really, they started pouring the foundation for this a long time ago. Almost every year since Andy Reid became coach in 1999, the Eagles have taken another step toward this moment. In his second season, they improved to 11-5 from 5-11. The next year, they played in their first NFC championship game. The following year, they won 12 games. In 2003, they held their ground. Then last year, they won 13 games and made it to the Super Bowl. There is a clear trend here, and this is the next step: The Eagles will win Super Bowl XL.

What about Terrell Owens, the receiver who acts like he plays for the MEgles? Won't he be a distraction? Chances are Owens will be a distraction -- and a big reason the Eagles will win the Super Bowl.

Distractions are overrated. Way overrated. They might even be healthy (excuse me while I finish this game of solitaire). It's not like any past Super Bowl winners haven't had distractions or controversial players. Remember Deion Sanders, Hollywood Henderson, Warren Sapp and Lyle Alzado? The '85 Bears, one of the best teams ever, had the Jim McMahon controversies and the Mike Ditka-Buddy Ryan rift. How about Joe Namath's guarantee in 1969? Another player known by his initials, Lawrence Taylor, stirred up more than his share of dirt playing for two Giants Super Bowl teams.

The Eagles have the leadership to overcome whatever waves Owens makes. Donovan McNabb is as fine a leader as you'll find in the NFL. And the coaching staff, starting with Reid and coordinators Brad Childress and Jim Johnson, is as good as it gets.

The coaches know how to use their players, and they have a lot of gifted athletes to work with. This is the type of team that can be outplayed and still eke out a victory, thanks to the big-play capabilities of Owens, McNabb, running back Brian Westbrook, defensive end Jevon Kearse and free safety Brian Dawkins.

On my computer monitor, they are the best team in the NFC by a considerable margin. The AFC has some teams that are close to the Eagles' level -- most notably the Colts and Patriots and perhaps to a lesser extent the Jets and Broncos.

The Patriots, winners of three of the last four Super Bowls, cannot be dismissed. Skeptics wonder how they will offset the losses of key contributors such as linebacker Tedy Bruschi, offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. There's little question those men will be difficult to replace, but remember this about New England -- a team that has thrived with change under Bill Belichick: There is no reason to believe that won't continue.

The Patriots have a difficult schedule, though. And they probably are due for a few bad bounces of the ball.

If the Colts have home-field advantage, they'll have their best chance of making it to the Super Bowl. The Colts have the league's most explosive offense, particularly in a controlled climate. Their defense has continued to improve through young players. Like the Eagles, they appear ready to take another step.

If it comes down to the Eagles and the Colts, the Eagles should be the fresher team, based on their schedules. The Colts are looking at a bumpy road between here and the playoffs, but the Eagles have an open highway in front of them. They should be favored in every game they play with the possible exceptions of games at Kansas City and Denver.

All the planets are aligned for the Eagles. Including the one T.O. lives on.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Susquehanna Birder

BigEd76

RezRob

If this "journalist" was somehow correct playing Indy in a dome and against Simon would have alot of sideplots and interest. But honestly why would U count out the Pats? The same people that count them out are the same ones that think we'll slip. :boo
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

SunMo

i have heard the "Colts in the Dome" theory before.  But that Detroit has the field turf, they don't have that flat astroturf like the RCA Dome has.  it's that astroturf that really helps the fast teams.

BigEd76

RCA doesn't have Astroturf anymore.

(Neither does St. Louis)

Feva

If we're there in XL... I hope it's not against the Colts.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

Quote from: BigEd76 on September 01, 2005, 04:33:02 PM
RCA doesn't have Astroturf anymore.

(Neither does St. Louis)
doh!

my point stays the same though.  i don't think that Detroits field will be as big an advantage to the Colts as people think.

Tomahawk

Quote from: JailBird-man on September 01, 2005, 04:30:18 PM
If this "journalist" was somehow correct playing Indy in a dome and against Simon would have alot of sideplots and interest. But honestly why would U count out the Pats? The same people that count them out are the same ones that think we'll slip. :boo

I bet my fatass soon to be ex-roommate twenty-five bucks that the Pats don't make the playoffs for the following reasons:

A) They didn't replace the offensive coordinator, meaning Bellicheck has a lot more to focus on.
2) They lost their defensive coordinator. While this isn't as huge of deal as the o.c. as B.B. is a defensive mastermind, it's still warrants consideration into how that will impact the players.
C) I think the loss of Bruschi and Johnson will have an impact, especially in conjunction with the aformentioned loss of the defensive coordinator.
4) The Patriots play in a decent division. I'm picking the Bills to win the division. As much as I hate Miami, I loved them beating the Pats. It could happen again.
E) I hate the motherfarging Patriots.

SunMo

Quote from: Tomahawk on September 01, 2005, 04:39:12 PM

I bet my fatass soon to be ex-roommate twenty-five bucks that the Pats don't make the playoffs for the following reasons:

A) They didn't replace the offensive coordinator, meaning Bellicheck has a lot more to focus on.
2) They lost their defensive coordinator. While this isn't as huge of deal as the o.c. as B.B. is a defensive mastermind, it's still warrants consideration into how that will impact the players.
C) I think the loss of Bruschi and Johnson will have an impact, especially in conjunction with the aformentioned loss of the defensive coordinator.
4) The Patriots play in a decent division. I'm picking the Bills to win the division. As much as I hate Miami, I loved them beating the Pats. It could happen again.

it's not personal it's only business, and this man is taking it very, very personal

WEST is GOD

I'd rather have the Colts than the Pats. Dome Schmome. Even if the Colts got home field the entire media would pick the Colts, and then Brady and the Pats would roll into the RCA dome and clean up on the Colts. Give me the Colts over the Pats any day of the week. We won't punt once that entire game with that swiss cheese defense. On the other hand expect Manning to at least throw 2 picks.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

Feva

Plain and simple... you're about to lose $25.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sun_Mo on September 01, 2005, 04:40:25 PM

it's not personal it's only business, and this man is taking it very, very personal

I've hated the Patriots for years. Last year's SuperBowl only added a little bit of fuel to that already raging fire.

Feva - I think you meant to type WIN $25!

HOLD IT DOWN!!

TexasEagle

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 01, 2005, 04:45:20 PM

Plain and simple... you're about to lose $25.

That's what I'm thinking...

Feva

Quote from: Tomahawk on September 01, 2005, 04:45:24 PM
Quote from: Sun_Mo on September 01, 2005, 04:40:25 PM

I've hated the Patriots for years. Last year's SuperBowl only added a little bit of fuel to that already raging fire.

Feva - I think you meant to type WIN $25!

HOLD IT DOWN!!
Right... right... right... WIN $25.  :paranoid

Hey, believe me Tomhawk... I hope you win.  I'll be pullin for ya'. 

But just in case... make sure you keep $25 in your bank account at all times.  ;)