The Coaching Search Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2012, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

Munson

Doesn't the Arizona DC kill the look test?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

Meh.  Try Chip.   Get a stud d coordinator and run it down their throat
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

I think I'm settling on McCoy.  He did good things with Teebow last year, so that shows that he can adapt his offense to his personnel.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhanInDC

I'm liking McCoy as well. It just wasn't Teblow. He made both Orton and Delhomme look like studs at one point. He gets the most out of what he's given on the offensive side of the ball. My larger concern with the coaching changes is the pick for defensive coordinator. I'd really like to see a switch to a 3-4 or just an emphasis on a big, space eating D-line. If I never hear the term "speedball" again it will be too soon.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SunMo

i think switching to a 3-4 would set them back even further for a few years as they tried to get the personnel for it.  i don't see a lot of 3-4 ready players on their team now.

i think the defense is close to being ok, the front 7 is good, but the secondary needs a complete overhaul.  the d-coordinator is important though because i want somebody with energy that puts some farging balls into this defense

ice grillin you

its certainly not the shambles that the secondary is but they definitely need to upgrade the front seven

they have a couple promising chips (particularly kendricks who i think has star potential) and demeco is demeco but everywhere else needs significant upgrading and is about as vanilla as it gets
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

ice grillin you

eh....they are all rotational or role player/depth types

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

I think Cole/Graham could potentially make the transition initially to stand-up rushing LBs, and Cox/Thorton could make the move to DE. I believe they brought back Dixon who could be a stop gap at NT. Most teams that run the 3-4 currently often run a 4 man line in passing situations (New England for example). I think Ryans and Kendrick could play in the middle - beyond that, I don't see anyone worth suiting a particular system to. In either the 3-4 or 4-3, they've got to add a lot of guys that aren't "rotational" or "situational".

Also, the last few years a lot of teams (Skins, Colts) have swapped to the 3-4 when it seemed the personnel wasn't suited to it, and they got results with a season or two.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on January 04, 2013, 09:11:14 AM
Cox is a rotational player?

no he showed something...hes one of their "promising chips" and if he gets better should be a legit three down lineman

he had trouble getting up the field last year but thats expected when going from college to the pros...next year i will be disappointed if hes not in the backfield a lot more

reese125

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on January 04, 2013, 09:13:43 AM
I think Cole/Graham could potentially make the transition initially to stand-up rushing LBs, and Cox/Thorton could make the move to DE. I believe they brought back Dixon who could be a stop gap at NT. Most teams that run the 3-4 currently often run a 4 man line in passing situations (New England for example). I think Ryans and Kendrick could play in the middle - beyond that, I don't see anyone worth suiting a particular system to. In either the 3-4 or 4-3, they've got to add a lot of guys that aren't "rotational" or "situational".

Also, the last few years a lot of teams (Skins, Colts) have swapped to the 3-4 when it seemed the personnel wasn't suited to it, and they got results with a season or two.

I def dont see Cole getting any kind of burst standing up rushing the qb--esp since his burst has already declined from the down position. Graham--who knows. He could prob do it, but hes finally starting to come along a bit so im not too sure I would start tinkering with technique changes...but I like where your head's at and would love a 3-4 scheme

BigEd76

Caplan and Mosher are trying to cool the Chip enthusiasm this morning, saying he may not be the Eagles' top choice

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: reese125 on January 04, 2013, 09:34:17 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on January 04, 2013, 09:13:43 AM

I def dont see Cole getting any kind of burst standing up rushing the qb--esp since his burst has already declined from the down position. Graham--who knows. He could prob do it, but hes finally starting to come along a bit so im not too sure I would start tinkering with technique changes...but I like where your head's at and would love a 3-4 scheme

Wasn't saying either guy could stand up and become a pro-bowl type OLB. I think there are a grand total two guys on the entire defense that might develop into above-average players. The rest of the guys on defense are average and completely replaceable.