Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt

cte is a serious problem.  more & more parents are not allowing their kids to play football because of concussion risks. but where do you think this goes, longer term?  no more football?  or a version of football closer to flag than what we see now? 
or just minor rule/equipment changes since the nfl pretty much prints money?  :deion
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

ice grillin you

it will never stop until kids stop playing it which may happen one day but not in any of our lifetimes

wouldnt be suprised tho if sometime relatively soon congress starts to regulate its safety
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hunt

some youth leagues have already switched over to flag...plenty of tackle leagues still around though...the vast majority.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 22, 2017, 01:01:51 PM
it will never stop until kids stop playing it which may happen one day but not in any of our lifetimes

wouldnt be suprised tho if sometime relatively soon congress starts to regulate its safety

its a multibillion dollar business it is not being regulated like that

amateur boxing they wear padding on their heads. football simply needs the equivalent of that. whether thats foam helmets or just playing flag until high school i dont know.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on September 22, 2017, 02:12:40 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on September 22, 2017, 01:01:51 PM

its a multibillion dollar business it is not being regulated like that

this little podunk entity called wall street gets regulated

MDS

wall streert doesnt own a day of the week
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

correct

it owns 365 days

im not saying its 100% going to happen but the nfl isnt near big enough to escape regulation...its already regulated in a sense that sports betting is regulated and the nfl wouldnt close to what it is without betting....if the nfl was all powerful sports betting would have been legal decades ago

Tomahawk

How is the government going to regulate concussions? Make it illegal for players to get concussions and if they do, then they get fined?

Diomedes

What's going to happen is the game will slowly but inevitably become less and less entertaining as talent goes to other games.  We'll still have the NFL for our lifetimes, but we've seen it's peak already.  The decline is under way and in 25 years the NFL ain't going to be the dominant sports league in the United States.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

CTE has been found in players of football, hockey, boxing, MMA, soccer, baseball, wrestling, and BMX. It's very likely present in elevated numbers among skiers, snowboarders, cyclists, skateboarders -- basically anything that either can concuss you or repeatedly rattle you. This football thing is just the first wave, and the most studied. It's coming to all contact sports.

After that, people will start asking obvious questions about various non-sports occupations.

We need a ton of more research across a variety of activities. Even with the highly studied NFL brains, the sample sucks because it's not random. We also need good research on the "normal" prevalence of CTE in the general public. Then people can compare rates of injury and decide for themselves what level of risk they are willing to accept.

If your kid is tall, basketball hasn't been implicated yet. Otherwise there's always tennis and golf.

PhillyPhreak54

Good post and I agree.

I've had 6 concussions and god knows how many times my "bell was rung" and I saw stars or was woozy for a bit.

Twice with my concussions I had really bad symptoms. One from football caused me to stutter and have altered speech to several weeks.

Sometimes I wonder if those 6 and the other dings were enough to develop it.

QB Eagles

I don't want to alarm you, but CTE has been definitively linked to dementia, suicide, and making message board posts demonstrating irrational affection toward practice squad-level running backs.

Tomahawk

That also explains the note he sent Wentz

PhillyPhreak54

Rome

The head knocks would definitely explain the irrational "5" love.