Lewis Bird-Watching In Utah

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 13, 2005, 05:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteEagles Notes Chad Lewis: Bird-watching in Utah

By Bob Brookover
Inquirer Staff Writer

ATLANTA - The last time the Eagles played the Atlanta Falcons, Chad Lewis was right in the middle of the action and the celebration.

Thanks in large part to his two touchdown catches in the right corner of the north end zone at Lincoln Financial Field, the Eagles finally cleared the NFC championship game hurdle that they had stumbled on the previous three seasons.

As it turned out, of course, it was a bittersweet moment for the Eagles' classy veteran tight end.

The first TD catch, an amazing tightrope-walking grab, will be part of team highlight reels 100 years from now and still draws viewing requests from his friends and neighbors back in Utah. His second TD catch, a fourth-quarter grab that put the Eagles up by 17 points, triggered a wild celebration at the Linc and also prevented Lewis from playing in the Super Bowl with his teammates two weeks later.

Lewis suffered a sprained left foot on the second touchdown and watched the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to New England from a wheelchair on the sidelines. Eight months later, he still is rehabilitating as a man without a team.

The Eagles, however, are still his team. Out for a bike ride with his kids near his home in Utah yesterday afternoon, Lewis said he planned to watch the Eagles' season opener against the Falcons last night.

"Yeah, it will be strange," said Lewis, who spent seven seasons with the Eagles, including the last six as the team's starting tight end. "That's my family running out on the field. Those are guys I care about and I've been to war with. That's a big part of my life."

Lewis, 33, has not retired. He said 10 teams have told him they want him to work out for them once he has fully recovered, but he wouldn't say whether the Eagles were among them. He did say that he's still in contact with team trainer Rick Burkholder. Mark Myerson, the surgeon who operated on Terrell Owens last December, also operated on Lewis.

"I'm getting close," Lewis said. "My mind is still actively engaged in football. I've been going to BYU practices. I work out about four to six hours a day. I'm lifting weights, riding a bike and running in the pool. I can cut again and I can jump and run. I'm just not full speed."

In addition to his rehabilitation, Lewis has been promoting the NFL in China.

"I've been to Beijing twice in the last two months," he said. "I just helped out with the world championship of flag football, and I'm helping the NFL build its brand of football around the world."

Thailand, by the way, beat the United States in the flag-football final for children ages 12 to 14

Sign Chad Lewis. Get his happy ass into Philadelphia now. The first week has passed and he's a vested veteran so his salary is not guaranteed. He would also only count $450K against the cap.

If you want to keep Spach...cut Reno or Parry and let Spach be the FB.

Like I said last night - Donovan misses Chad on 3rd downs or in clutch spots.

Sign him now, Andy.

MURP

Donovan misses everyone on 3rd downs. 

TexasEagle

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 13, 2005, 05:22:56 PM
I work out about four to six hours a day. I'm lifting weights, riding a bike and running in the pool. I can cut again and I can jump and run. I'm just not full speed."

Isn't that why they dumped Ritchie? Why would they sign Chad if they wouldn't keep Ritchie?

PhillyPhreak54

Sign him and get him in here to rehab and get back quicker. Something.

I'm not happy with the back-up TE and FB spots right now.

PhillyPhreak54

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

greenbleeder

I have Chad going to the Saints. Can't believe they didn't sign Teyo Johnson after Boo and Ernie Conwell went down.
Official Sponsor of Tom Heckert, the man behind the men.

This is our year. Because we're gonna make it our year.

http://greenbleeder.blogspot.com

pinoyboy2pt0

I'm not happy with out starting FB situation.  Spach did play some FB in college, I wonder how he does. 
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)

MURP

how many times did Parry lead block in the game on a run play anyway?  I dont remember, but it couldnt have been that many. 

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

I agree, he was awful. Horrible.

But those clamoring for Ritchie...hello? If Ritchie was able to, he'd be playing.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Feva

QuoteThe first TD catch, an amazing tightrope-walking grab, will be part of team highlight reels 100 years from now and still draws viewing requests from his friends and neighbors back in Utah. His second TD catch, a fourth-quarter grab that put the Eagles up by 17 points, triggered a wild celebration at the Linc and also prevented Lewis from playing in the Super Bowl with his teammates two weeks later.
Ain't that the truth.

The two images that stick in my head most from that game both belong to Chad.  The 1st was that 1st TD grab... the 2nd was after he caught the 2nd one... he's sitting on his butt doing the "Daunte Culpepper", getting his roll on.

Quote"I'm getting close," Lewis said. "My mind is still actively engaged in football."
:yay
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 14, 2005, 10:56:05 AM

But those clamoring for Ritchie...hello? If Ritchie was able to, he'd be playing.

Ritchie in a coma is better than Parry. I wish that were hyperbole.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Feva

Quote from: rjs246 on September 14, 2005, 11:09:52 AM

He's damn sure faster.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

pinoyboy2pt0

Quote from: EagleFeva on September 14, 2005, 11:11:08 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on September 14, 2005, 11:09:52 AM

He's damn sure faster.

...and smarter.
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)