Rest Of Baseball - 2017

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 08, 2017, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

MLB officials have had enough of the Red Sox-Orioles feud.

And now Kevin Gausman has gotten tossed for hitting Xander Boegarts with a slow curve.  Even the Red Sox announcers are saying the ejection is ridiculous.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah Sam Holbrook hooked him way too quick

77mph curve and he gets got

MDS

baseball players are such bitches
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Adam Jones got tossed by Holbrook too

Who knows why. Said something to him when he was walking away after striking out swinging

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Marcell Ozuna murdered a baseball tonight in TB

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Wtf is going on in the Mets clubhouse after games? 

ice grillin you

pretty remarkable number...

QuoteCarlos Correa now has seven career go-ahead RBI in extra innings. One more than Derek Jeter had during his entire career.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Don Ho

Free baseball at Wrigley tonight/this morning.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Cubs fans still here bottom 16th have been riding Joe West.  Beautiful.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

for some reason i was watching clips of perfect games today and that brought me to the wiki page on perfect games. have heard both of these stories before but they are so ridiculous you cant even believe them re-reading them 100 times

QuoteOn June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth, then a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox, walked the Washington Senators' first batter, Ray Morgan, on four straight pitches. Ruth, who had already been shouting at umpire Brick Owens about the quality of his calls, became even angrier and, in short order, was ejected. Enraged, Ruth charged Owens, swung at him, and had to be led off the field by a policeman. Ernie Shore came in to replace Ruth, while catcher Sam Agnew took over behind the plate for Pinch Thomas. Morgan was caught stealing by Agnew on the first pitch by Shore, who proceeded to retire the next 26 batters. All 27 outs were made while Shore was on the mound. Once recognized as a perfect game by Major League Baseball, this still counts as a combined no-hitter.[49][50]

QuoteOn May 26, 1959, Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched what is often referred to as the greatest game in baseball history.[51] Haddix carried a perfect game through 12 innings against the Milwaukee Braves, only to have it ruined when an error by third baseman Don Hoak allowed Félix Mantilla, the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 13th inning, to reach base. A sacrifice by Eddie Mathews and an intentional walk to Hank Aaron followed; the next batter, Joe Adcock, hit a home run that became a double when he passed Aaron on the bases. Haddix and the Pirates had lost the game 1–0; despite their 12 hits in the game, they could not bring a run home. The 12 perfect innings–36 consecutive batters retired in a single game—remains a record.[52]

the most insane part of the last story is eddie matthews bunted. with hank aaron on deck. eddie matthews with a career 885 OPS and 512 homers farging bunted. that year he hit 46 homers and had a 390 obp. so they had a runner at 1st and 2 hall of famers up and neither got to swing the bat and they still won. baseball is lovely.

QB Eagles

To me, that's the magic of baseball. The rules are constructed so that there's only a small number of things that can happen at any given moment, but because of the sheer number of games, innings, at-bats, pitches, etc., virtually every combination of odd events that is capable of happening will happen at some point. Strangest of all, the Phillies even won the World Series a couple of times.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on May 12, 2017, 01:10:33 PM
the most insane part of the last story is eddie matthews bunted. with hank aaron on deck. eddie matthews with a career 885 OPS and 512 homers farging bunted. that year he hit 46 homers and had a 390 obp. so they had a runner at 1st and 2 hall of famers up and neither got to swing the bat and they still won. baseball is lovely.

Not saying that bunting Mathews was a good thing, but Adcock was no slouch (.822 OPS lifetime, .874 in 1959) either.

Diomedes

The more baseball I watch, the more I like it.  I'm getting old I guess.  It doesn't hurt that my home town has such a great ball park, or (at present) a loveable team.  I've been to three games so far this season, hope to make five or six more.  I'm considering going alone even. 

Get ready for more of Dio's hot takes on shtein he knows nothing about.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger