Man made global warming is real.

Started by Diomedes, January 23, 2007, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevant

So wait - is it not global warming because we don't have accurate records over a long enough time period, or is it not global warming because it was a snowy winter this year?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

This has nothing to do with your favorite NFL team.  It has to do with the lack of critical thought amongst the group of party-line Liberal Democrats that post here.  Some of them call themselves Independents or Libertarians, but the bottom line is that if you deviate to the right from the DNC platform on any issue here, you're automatically a right-wing zealout.  However, going even further left on things like regulation and class warfare is totally cool.

phattymatty

Rome

The world's population has gone from about 1.65 billion in 1900 to 6.6 billion today.

But sure, we've had no effect on the climate.  None at all.

Cerevant

QuoteMain Entry:
   zeal·ot
Pronunciation:
   \ˈze-lət\
Function:
   noun
Etymology:
   Late Latin zelotes, from Greek zēlōtēs, from zēlos
Date:

1capitalized : a member of a fanatical sect arising in Judea during the first century a.d. and militantly opposing the Roman domination of Palestine2: a zealous person; especially : a fanatical partisan <a religious zealot>

QuoteMain Entry:
   lout
Function:
   noun
Etymology:
   perhaps from 1lout
Date:

: an awkward brutish person

zealout - an awkward, brutish fanatical partisan?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Denying man's involvement in climate change is akin in retardation levels to denying the impact of natural climate cycles and environmental changes not related to man.

Plus, like I've said before, what's the worst that will happen if you make personal decisions to conserve and recycle?  The issue comes in to finding the balance in larger-scale economic factors versus issues with climate change.  Let's just say that the whole carbon credit system as it stands now lends itself more to profiteering than it does to actual conservation.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Cerevant on April 04, 2008, 10:25:08 AM
zealout - an awkward, brutish fanatical partisan?

I think IGY's official definition is more like this:

zealout - even worse than a zealot

Diomedes

ya well we gotta start somewhere

also, Gore is hardly extremist doomsayer...he's preaching hope and change, that we can do something if we act now.  so stop the zealout spin...he's right and time will prove it, even to the likes of you
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

He's a fat, money-loving white man from the South.  He can only be an extremist to a certain degree.

Rome

There's a huge difference between being a zealot and being someone who realizes we all have to make subtle changes in how we live if our way of life is to continue.

Adding four times the number of humans on the planet in 100 years is having a catastrophic effect on all of us.

Sooner or later nature itself is going to rebel and wipe a lot of us out.  If I'm one of them, all the better.  Just let the Eagles win a Super Bowl first, please, and I'll be happy to succumb to mother nature's vendetta.

SD_Eagle5

I have no problem with Gore precahing hope and change...considering America is the most wasteful nation the Earth has ever known he's picked a great place to start.
But he is the King of the extremist doomsayers. He's more of a limousine liberal than anything.

rjs246

I, for one, blame Mexicans for the global warming hoax.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Ted Turner said it best.  Anyone who has more than 2 kids should be forced to offer up extras to feed the hungry.

SunMo

i blame them for just about everything, including the near uninhabitable conditions of the portapotty i used today
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.