2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 29, 2011, 09:23:54 PM
Quote from: MDS on August 29, 2011, 08:43:29 PM
obp, slg, ops would be the keys

and how many of those stats are positively affected by a good BA

it gets thrown in there of course but they account for so much more.

and as a good progressive liberal you should be embracing change...not setting jim crow laws to keep batting average sacred
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

baseball is the one sport where nothing has changed in over 100 years

nerds can make up all the fancy formulas they want but the eye test will still trump all....the propblem with you people is that you get so into numbers that you dont really watch the games whether it be literally or figuratively
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Geowhizzer

Munson

Calm down, Fred Mascherino.....goddamnit not one person here will get that reference.

I also have a bad feeling though. Is it just me or is Madson's fastball missing some MPH's?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 29, 2011, 09:34:31 PM

nerds can make up all the fancy formulas they want but the eye test will still trump all....the propblem with you people is that you get so into numbers that you dont really watch the games whether it be literally or figuratively

yea for the 100000000000th time im not a saber nerd

i just dont look at batting average and doubles and figure everything is all sunflowers and lollipops.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

no one does....but at least you are trying to change the subject from your hideous comment that avg/hits mean nothing

Geowhizzer

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Munson on August 29, 2011, 09:43:37 PM
Calm down, Fred Mascherino.....goddamnit not one person here will get that reference.

I also have a bad feeling though. Is it just me or is Madson's fastball missing some MPH's?

You're right, I don't get the reference.

Glad my feeling went for naught, though.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 29, 2011, 09:47:08 PM
no one does....but at least you are trying to change the subject from your hideous comment that avg/hits mean nothing

BUT THEY...ugh

i love you and have 1 episode to go to complete my summer wire rewatch. lets leave it there.

Geowhizzer

Of course, both runs, though earned, were the result of bad defense (maybe some bad luck in the case of Pence).

Rome

the only meaningful stats are grit and the relative hotness of players' wags.

that's the list.

SunMo

Quote from: SD on August 29, 2011, 08:44:59 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 29, 2011, 08:37:48 PM
Batting average doesn't matter now?  Thats good to know.

If you talk to the real stat nerds aka seamheads they'll tell you how little relevance batting avg. has. They'll quote you stats like ops and vorp then explain to you why they are a more valuable tool to go by then BA. Personally I always look at BA/HR/RBI/SB/2B then strike outs when evaluating a player.

wOBA is actually not a bad seamhead stat.  each thing to get on base has a different weight so homeruns don't count the same as singles when calculating how often you get on base
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phillycrew

Quote from: MDS on August 29, 2011, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on August 29, 2011, 09:34:31 PM

yea for the 100000000000th time im not a saber nerd

i just dont look at batting average and doubles and figure everything is all sunflowers and lollipops.
I took it that when he said "you people" is he meant jews or MA living people.

phattymatty

HOF Brown last night...0-6 with 4 Ks, one error and like 4 other misplays...

all of these "highlights" are from last night.

http://youtu.be/RsI27HpnIS0