2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

PoopyfaceMcGee

MDS

its a totally arbitrary stat....it can vaguely ballpark someones production, but its not really something you need to look at

obp, slg, ops would be the keys. and dependent on the player production with risp.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 29, 2011, 08:37:48 PM
Batting average doesn't matter now?  Thats good to know.

If you talk to the real stat nerds aka seamheads they'll tell you how little relevance batting avg. has. They'll quote you stats like ops and vorp then explain to you why they are a more valuable tool to go by then BA. Personally I always look at BA/HR/RBI/SB/2B then strike outs when evaluating a player.

Munson

But slugging percentage can be skewed by the scorekeepers too...A guy might reach 2nd on what could be an error, but is scored a double, or vice versa....which then skews OPS....which then makes it useless!
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

Quote from: SD on August 29, 2011, 08:44:59 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 29, 2011, 08:37:48 PM
Batting average doesn't matter now?  Thats good to know.

If you talk to the real stat nerds aka seamheads they'll tell you how little relevance batting avg. has. They'll quote you stats like ops and vorp then explain to you why they are a more valuable tool to go by then BA. Personally I always look at BA/HR/RBI/SB/2B then strike outs when evaluating a player.

you are wayyyyyyyyyy too old school

i could give 2 shteins about vorp or babip but the back of the baseball card stats are pretty much outdated. you cant just look at them.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Trading Joey Votto? 

Missed Charlie pulling Hamels.  Hamels looked pissed in the dugout.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Don Ho

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

Damn, that foul by Lewis was close to the line.

Nice comeback by Stutes to get him looking.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on August 29, 2011, 08:43:29 PM
obp, slg, ops would be the keys

and how many of those stats are positively affected by a good BA
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous