2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you
The 2011 World Series Champions are the Atlanta Braves Florida Marlins Washington Nationals Boston Red Sox um.....uh....err........The Wire!

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

im on vacation in savannah but all ill say is the lead story on baseball tonight was when will the braves take over the phils

HOF beachy and hanson are both healthy again so LOOK OUT
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Just saw that only 2 pitchers since WWII have won 5 games in a calendar month while having a lower ERA during that month than Lee's 0.21. 

Orel Hershiser went 5-0 in Sept 1988 and didn't surrender a single earned run.  The other was Corey Lidle in 2002 when he also went 5-0 with an ERA of 0.20.  I know Lidle was decent back in the day, but I don't remember him being that dominant for any stretch of time.  Guess he crashed and burned after that hot streak. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 29, 2011, 10:42:26 PM
im on vacation in savannah but all ill say is the lead story on baseball tonight was when will the braves take over the phils

The Mets are over .500 now so you should probably predict them to win the division while they're riding this little hot streak. 

MDS

Lol can't you just be happy, even as a joke. I think your character can make as big a change as the druggie white dude with a beard from treme.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 29, 2011, 11:01:23 PM
Just saw that only 2 pitchers since WWII have won 5 games in a calendar month while having a lower ERA during that month than Lee's 0.21. 

Orel Hershiser went 5-0 in Sept 1988 and didn't surrender a single earned run.  The other was Corey Lidle in 2002 when he also went 5-0 with an ERA of 0.20.  I know Lidle was decent back in the day, but I don't remember him being that dominant for any stretch of time.  Guess he crashed and burned after that hot streak.

That is something.  0.21 ERA is just mind blowing.  I heard some kook baseball stat freak guru on ESPN radio this afternoon trying to downplay what Lee has done this month.  Tried to say Bumfarger on the Giants actually had a better month.  The host Brian Kenny threw out the fact that Bumgarner gave up 8 hits in a row and had an ERA of 216 against the Twins.  The guy said Lee has been the beneficiary of some great defense.  icehole.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

lurking wierdo

I know I predicted on here (probably in the Spring Training or Off Season thread) when everyone was so concerned about the bullpen, that the starting staff would combine for over 900 innings pitched this year. I was scoffed at and derided. Now as we reach the half way point let's check the progress. Doc, Lee, Hamels and Oswalt so far have pitched 432 innings. If you add Blanton's 34 they are past the halfway point. Hmmmmm, maybe I am not retarded afterall.

charlie

Congratulations on reaching parody status.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Don Ho on June 30, 2011, 03:42:19 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 29, 2011, 11:01:23 PM

That is something.  0.21 ERA is just mind blowing.  I heard some kook baseball stat freak guru on ESPN radio this afternoon trying to downplay what Lee has done this month.  Tried to say Bumfarger on the Giants actually had a better month.  The host Brian Kenny threw out the fact that Bumgarner gave up 8 hits in a row and had an ERA of 216 against the Twins.  The guy said Lee has been the beneficiary of some great defense.  icehole.

Sarge's facts are wrong, which will surprise nobody:

QuoteLee went 5-0 with a 0.21 ERA in June. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since earned runs were first recorded on official scores -- 1912 in the NL and '13 in the AL -- only six other starting pitchers went 5-0 or better with an ERA that low in a calendar month: Guy Bush in August 1926 (6-0, 0.19 ERA), Fernando Valenzuela in April 1981 (5-0, 0.20), Nolan Ryan in May 1984 (5-0, 0.20), Mike Witt in August 1986 (5-0, 0.21), Orel Hershiser in September 1988 (5-0, 0.00) and Cory Lidle in August 2002 (5-0, 0.20).

Valenzuela, Ryan, and Witt say... "farg you, Sarge!"

Sgt PSN

I read it on ESPN's game recap yesterday.  Now, at somepoint between the time I posted and now, they've added Nolan Ryan to the list because he wasn't on there yesterday.  But they still haven't added Valenzuala.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310628122&teams=boston-red-sox-vs-philadelphia-phillies

smeags

the front office did a good job making the moves to counter the lack of offense this line-up was going to produce.

also, a bit surprised at schmidt endorsing the DH in the NL.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS