2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 22, 2011, 11:36:52 PM
Contreras was unavailable tonight with a sore elbow - Salisbury speculates that he could be headed back to the DL

out 4-6 weeks with a flexor strain

lefty Juan Perez is up from LV

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

i wonder if oswalt is basically done or if hes hurt/has a dead arm
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

PoopyfaceMcGee

but the team would be better with him as the #3 starter and beardface in the 5 hole

Don Ho

Good a time as any to get Perez & Baez in a game when you're down 6-1 in the bottom of the seventh.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Don Ho

PhillyPhreak54

Oswalt indeed had back spasms...thats why he was yanked.

Sweep this one under the rug and beat up on the A's this weekend.

PhillyPhreak54

Salisbury:

QuoteMRI for oswalt on Mon. Won't make next start. He's not sure when he will P again. He said he is a liability. Hurts walking pitching sleeping

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

LBIggle

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 23, 2011, 11:48:21 PM
Salisbury:

QuoteMRI for oswalt on Mon. Won't make next start. He's not sure when he will P again. He said he is a liability. Hurts walking pitching sleeping

it sounds like the guy is done. i was literally just talking about this with my friend last night that i was worried he was still hurt.  it was too early for his dead arm period.. and you don't just drop 4-5 mph on your fastball overnight for no reason.  if he doesn't have that velocity for that fastball then that's pretty much the ballgame for him.  it's a shame for someone who was probably their best pitcher early in the year.  hopefully he's good in time for the playoff run.. but i don't think he's back next year.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteStill have a story to write, but here is a quick transcription of Roy Oswalt's comments to the media tonight.

He said an MRI a year or two ago revealed two degenerative discs. He doesn't think it has gotten to the point where they are bulging. He doubts he will make his next start. He has an MRI scheduled for Monday, and they'll compare that MRI to the previous one.

This isn't something that a shot will fix. Oswalt said he has already had a lot of shots, and any more there is a risk of "stuff breaking off."

"At this point, I'm not really helping the team," he said. "I'm more of a liability more than anything. See where I'm at, and if it is something i have to get fixed, I have to get it fixed. Just see where it's at. I don't know."

Hard to leave tonight's game?

"I really wasn't productive," he said. "I was more heaving the ball than throwing the ball. Tried to get out of a jam. Had one guy strike out, and couldn't get the ball far enough in on Theriot. See what it looks like Monday. I don't think it's doing no good to keep going out there and not really doing too much, going six innings at a time. I tried to stay in there as long as I could, but you can only pitch if you don't have any pain.

Is surgery an option?

"I don't know. It hasn't gotten to the point where it has bulged yet, I don't think. Hopefully not. That's doctor stuff. They know more about it than I do. Just see where I'm at."

Take a cortisone shot?

"You only get so many shots. After you get so many of them, stuff starts breaking off, so, I don't want that to happen."

Is he frightened about his career?

"Just like I said before, you throw as long as you can throw, and when you can't throw no more, you can't throw no more. I'm going to keep throwing as long as I can, and hopefully it's not gotten to the point where I can't throw no more. But if it's gotten to that point, you just have to accept it."

When does he feel it?

"I feel it when I sit down and I stand up, when I walk, pitch, sleep."

Does he think about what this means for his career?

"I've had a pretty good one (laughs). I don't know. I'm going to do what's best for the team. If I can't pitch, I can't pitch. I'm not going to keep going out there and being a liability for the bullpen to pick me up. If it's gotten to that point, it's gotten to that point. We'll just see what the doctor says on the MRI and go from there."

And, finally, somebody asked him why he continued to pitch through the pain if it hurts him at all times.

Oswalt thought for a second, then said, "I don't want to be labelled as a quitter."

Back problems are no good for anyone, but for a little guy who is a drop and drive pitcher its devastating.

He sounds resigned to the fact that he's done. Shelf him and hope you can eek some quality starts out of him in crunch time down the stretch.

Love the last line.

ice grillin you

yup hes done...oh and hidden under the oswalt injury is that other than one fluke inning the phillies scored what five runs in three games - again
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.