2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: charlie on June 17, 2011, 02:03:11 PM
Of the 94 to 07 group, the picking is slim...

Burrell is in
Wolf is in

There's a few
Leiberthal
Abreu
Millwood
Glanville
Rolen (despite the hate)

millwood wolf and glanville all have zero chance of getting in

leiberthal has a miniscule chance just because he played for so long but wont make it

if schilling cant get in then rolen wont

burrell is in but shouldnt be

abreu probably would be in if it wasnt for so many guys on the current team that have to make it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: SunMo on June 17, 2011, 02:27:42 PM
kruk was actually an icehole

Of course he was.  How many professional athletes (and I used that term loosely in his case) aren't?

He's not now, though.  And he still wears his Phillies pride on his shoulder whereas Schilling despises everything about Philly including and especially the fans.

Seriously, this is a no-brainer.  How anyone could want anything to do with Schilling is beyond me.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 17, 2011, 02:24:14 PM
The fact that any of you would prefer Curt Schilling to Kruk under any circumstances in something as trivial as this is what's truly hilarious.

Would I rather have Schilling starting Game 7 of the Series than Kruk starting at first?  Of course.

But Schilling is a piece of crap and Kruk is a great guy who loved the team, the city and the fans.  Kruk please.  Let Schilling be placed on the Orioles, D-Backs, or Red Sox WOF.

i dont have a problem with both of these guys not making it...my main problem is with the guys who are in as opposed to any one player who isnt in...that said schilling shopuld be in over kruk

Rome

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 17, 2011, 02:30:11 PM

He's not now, though.  And he still wears his Phillies pride on his shoulder whereas Schilling despises everything about Philly including and especially the fans.

jesus you couldnt be more wrong about this....he farging loves the city and the fans...in fact ive never heard an interview from him where he didnt mention the greatness of philadelphia as a sports city

where i hate him is how much he loves boston...i have a major problem with that and cant wrap the idea of loving philly and boston...hes kind of like roenick in that he sucks off philly but crys when chicago beats them in the finals....both guys know how to play both sides of the fence beautifully...schilling also gets a knock against him for being a big george bush fan...

all that said you dont have to love the guy to think he deserves it more than john kruk

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I don't recall any hate from Schilling towards the city or the fans. Maybe ownership but who doesn't hate those pricks?

Kruk deserves to be in and is one of my all time favorites.

LBIggle

utley/howard/rollins/desi relaford - definitely.
hamels/lee/halladay/burrell/ruiz - probably.
schilling/lieberthal - probably not
werth/lidge/glanville/rolen/millwood - hahahahaha

what about polanco?  if he continues to hit at or around .300 with gold glove fielding for another 2-3 years (probably asking alot based on his age) i think he gets a nod.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 17, 2011, 04:21:41 PM
Yeah I don't recall any hate from Schilling towards the city or the fans. Maybe ownership but who doesn't hate those pricks?

Kruk deserves to be in and is one of my all time favorites.

you only like kruk because he had a mullet, drank a lot was a fat. when he was here he couldnt have given two shteins about you or anyone for that matter. that entire team was a bunch of roided up dickholes who caught fire for some reason had a once in a generation type season. without 1993 no one gives a shtein about kruk, he might as well be greg jefferies.

the kruk love also comes from the philly cock slobbering he does on espn and the radio which im not going to deny is awesome but it has nothing to do him as a phillie.

schilling had i think three 300 strikeout seasons and was cash money in the playoffs. yea hes a pub and yea he wears out his welcome everywhere he goes but he was actually a really good player.

its the same reason everyone loves matt stairs. oh the fat guy with the beer who looks like me did something good in a sport rah rah rah rah
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

this schtick of you making the same 3 jokes about baseball has been going for about 7 years now, russ. i mean it was never really funny, but at one point there was effort.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

It's really only one joke. And it isn't a joke. It's science.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 17, 2011, 02:40:41 PM
Quote from: Rome on June 17, 2011, 02:30:11 PM

jesus you couldnt be more wrong about this....he farging loves the city and the fans...in fact ive never heard an interview from him where he didnt mention the greatness of philadelphia as a sports city

where i hate him is how much he loves boston...i have a major problem with that and cant wrap the idea of loving philly and boston...hes kind of like roenick in that he sucks off philly but crys when chicago beats them in the finals....both guys know how to play both sides of the fence beautifully...schilling also gets a knock against him for being a big george bush fan...

all that said you dont have to love the guy to think he deserves it more than john kruk

From Angelo Cataldi...

QuoteAs soon as I wipe away the tears, I'll try the impossible here and give a more accurate portrait of the most self-serving, selfish, self-absorbed player in baseball history.

Just one question, Glen: Is that your speech for when Curt Schilling is inducted into the Hall of Fame, or are you aiming higher now and shooting for his sainthood?

Yes, I did have a chance to get to know Schilling through our old TV show, and yes, I did pet his dogs and he did score a couple of goals against me in street hockey. I enjoyed all of that. I also have talked to his wife Shonda many times, and she is a fantastic person.

I'll add something that was even more important to me and my career. At a time when no one from the Phillies would ever call WIP, Schilling called us every morning, win or lose, in the latter stages of the 1993 run. There were days when he would be waiting on the phone as we came on the air at 6 a.m.!

All of which should tell you something, Glen: If I don't like a guy after all of that, there must be a reason. And I have more reasons than space here will allow. So I'll just go through a few of the major ones.

Curt Schilling was all about himself from the day he arrived in Philadelphia. Everyone in the Phillies organization, from the top reaches of the front office to the lowly batboys, could not stand Schilling. They knew, right at the beginning, that he was selfish. They knew that his lip service about the fortunes of the team was just that. He didn't give a damn about the Phillies, or about winning.

Remember the towel-draping act in the ninth inning of games he pitched in '93, Glen? Let's analyze that for a minute. Here was a young pitcher openly showing up a teammate, Mitch Williams, and distancing himself from the possibility of failure.

The towel over the head was saying to the fans: "Hey, if we lose this, don't blame me. I'm not any more comfortable with this guy on the mound than you are."

Macho Row hated Schilling for that unprofessional, grandstanding tradition, and Curt knew it. But he didn't stop because it got him some face time (or, in this case, towel time) on TV. Even back then, it was all about Schilling.

His final years in Philadelphia were among the ugliest in the history of our sports town, Glen. You know that. The diatribes about commitment to winning, the trade demands, the media wars (with me, among others) . . . they were all just an updated version of the towel-draping. Again, he was distancing himself from failure. If the team lost, it was the owners and front office, not Curt. Never Curt.

He won a world championship in Arizona, although people may forget that he left the seventh game of the 2001 World Series losing 2-1 because he gave up a huge home run to Alfonso Soriano in the eighth inning. The Diamondbacks won long after Curt had left the mound. But this was one time when he did not distance himself from the team. Oh, no. There was no towel draped over his head when Luis Gonzalez blooped the game-winner. As I recall, Curt was one of the first Arizona players on the field. More precious face time.

Now Schilling is a member of the Boston Red Sox, after more open politicking for a trade once Arizona stopped winning. He milked those contract negotiations right through the Thanksgiving holiday in 2003. In the end, he got a huge contract and vowed to end the curse of the Bambino. Who was going to mention that a week earlier he had waived his no-trade clause because he was going to join Boston's evil rivals, the New York Yankees? Not you, Glen.

A few weeks into the 2004 season, Schilling told his teammates that they should take less money to stay in Boston. Lots of them were in the final year of their contracts, and he said they should stop worrying so much about money.

Hey, he got his. Screw them.

Curt Schilling is the biggest phony I've ever witnessed in 30 years of covering and talking about sports. Even your heartwarming story about the sick woman leaves me cold, Glen. I know better.

I guarantee you – absolutely guarantee – there was a TV camera somewhere nearby, recording this act of sentiment. The fact that you were watching, ready to broadcast this latest example of his greatness, cannot be discounted either.

Even that story wasn't really about the woman, Glen.

It was about Curt Schilling.

It's always about Curt Schilling

He's a phony dickhead gloryhound.  Always has been and always will be.

Add to the fact he's a right-wing icehole, and he can pretty much eat shtein piled a mile high.

farg him to hell.