2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

This would be an appropriate game to give Grit credit for the offense putting runs across the plate. 

3-14 as a team w/risp though.  Yikes. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

basticho didn't throw a single first pitch strike.  He sucks. 

PhillyGirl

They scored 7 runs and Cliff Lee was dealing. I dunno, I could care less how many were LOB.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

believe it or not LOB is a good stat

it means youre putting runners on base. that is good. good teams have a lot of LOBs because its logistically impossible to always produce with RISP. oh shtein no he di int.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

LOB is a good stat assuming that some of those runners are getting into scoring position and subsequently coming home. Doesn't do much good if you get 9 base runners in a game but they all get stranded at 1st. 

ice grillin you

lol billy beane....people not scoring is awesome!

i think you mean avg with runners in scoring position is good not LOB

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 09:45:21 PM

I get what he means.....typically when teams score a lot of runs, they leave a lot of base runners because the odds of clearing the bases every time someone gets on are astronomically low even for a hot hitting team. 

It's somewhat flawed thinking because it's not a 2 way theory.  While scoring a lot of runs typically leads to leaving a lot of men on base, leaving a lot of men on base doesn't mean you're scoring a lot of runs. 

In short, avg w/RISP is usually where it's at. 

MDS

LOB is a good indicator that youre putting men on base and setting yourself up to score runs.

if you lead the league in the LOB and also lead the league in runs (something im guessing the phillies did or came close to doing back in the day), thats fine. LOBs are a part of scoring a lot of runs and having a good offense.

but if you somewhat exlusively dont score runs but leave a lot of runners on base, well, that wouldnt be good. obviously.

the phillies scored 7 runs today and also left a lot of men on base. fine. most of the time they score 2 runs and leave no one on base because they dont put anyone there.

Sgt PSN

Rather than argue, I think I'm going to defer to the little guy on this one.  If anyone knows about getting to 1st base but failing to score, it's him. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 11, 2011, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 09:45:21 PM

I get what he means.....typically when teams score a lot of runs, they leave a lot of base runners because the odds of clearing the bases every time someone gets on are astronomically low even for a hot hitting team. 

It's somewhat flawed thinking because it's not a 2 way theory.  While scoring a lot of runs typically leads to leaving a lot of men on base, leaving a lot of men on base doesn't mean you're scoring a lot of runs. 

In short, avg w/RISP is usually where it's at.

its a nerd theory and in this case a south jersey homer defense mechanism

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 11, 2011, 09:57:33 PM
Rather than argue, I think I'm going to defer to the little guy on this one.  If anyone knows about getting to 1st base but failing to score, it's him.

LOL
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

haha. hey, im getting set up with some mexican who's already 1 kid deep. even i cant screw this up, right?

but yea, its not a "video game nerd" stat, and nor am i a video game nerd. LOBs are simply a byproduct of scoring runs.

p.s. the phillies have scored more runs this year than both atlanta and florida. there ya go.

ice grillin you

yeah atlanta and florida arent winning the world series either