2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Munson on May 04, 2011, 08:18:18 PM
I never really knew much about Vance Worley until last year...is he a future #3/#4 type guy, or is he a AAAA player like Kendrick?

If I remember correctly, most projections are as a 3/4 starter - a Joe Blanton type.  Decent, not great stuff, but effective when he had command.  Fastball in low 90s, with slider, curve and changeups mixed in.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Munson

Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 04, 2011, 08:21:50 PM
I never really knew much about Vance Worley until last year...is he a future #3/#4 type guy, or is he a AAAA player like Kendrick?

If I remember correctly, most projections are as a 3/4 starter - a Joe Blanton type.  Decent, not great stuff, but effective when he had command.  Fastball in low 90s, with slider, curve and changeups mixed in.

Thank's Geo. Seems solid enough. I assume Roy O won't be back after this contract is over, and Fat Joe def won't be back, so he could be a full time guy as soon as next year, no? Or does Fatty have two years left?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Munson on May 04, 2011, 08:25:22 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 04, 2011, 08:21:50 PM

If I remember correctly, most projections are as a 3/4 starter - a Joe Blanton type.  Decent, not great stuff, but effective when he had command.  Fastball in low 90s, with slider, curve and changeups mixed in.

Thank's Geo. Seems solid enough. I assume Roy O won't be back after this contract is over, and Fat Joe def won't be back, so he could be a full time guy as soon as next year, no? Or does Fatty have two years left?

Honestly, I had thought / hoped that they would trade Blanton over the offseason (for whatever lineup help they could find) and slide Worley in this year.  Blanton's injury could be a blessing in disguise.

Sgt PSN

Now that Worley is getting a chance to throw in the bigs, if he does well in a couple of spot starts, the Phils could have incentive to trade Blanton this year for some lineup depth.  Of course, if when Grit and Brown come back, the offense very well could turn it back on, in which case you could move Worley to the pen for long relief.  Then all of a sudden, the pen doesn't look so bad either. 

And I think it's pretty much a given that Oswalt won't be back next year unless he's willing to sign for less to stay. 

Sgt PSN

Would have been nice if Howard could have knocked a few more in.  But still nice to see these guys push a few across when they've got the bases loaded and less than 2 outs. 

Geowhizzer

I think that if Blanton returns, Worley goes back to Allentown.  They'll keep him in the rotation in the minor leagues, basically as starter #6.

That's why they kept Kendrick and sent Worley down in the first place - they want Worley stretched out to take a slot in the rotation in case of a long-term injury.

Don Ho

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 04, 2011, 08:31:22 PM
Now that Worley is getting a chance to throw in the bigs, if he does well in a couple of spot starts, the Phils could have incentive to trade Blanton this year for some lineup depth.  Of course, if when Grit and Brown come back, the offense very well could turn it back on, in which case you could move Worley to the pen for long relief.  Then all of a sudden, the pen doesn't look so bad either. 

And I think it's pretty much a given that Oswalt won't be back next year unless he's willing to sign for less to stay. 

Oswalt has an option for next year.  He could be here for another year.

Sgt PSN

Worley to the pen was really more of a postseason thought.  With this starting rotation, he wouldn't get much action at all as a long reliever and it'd be stupid to put him in any other role. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 04, 2011, 08:37:05 PM

Oswalt has an option for next year.  He could be here for another year.

Oh yeah.....forgot about that. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 04, 2011, 08:37:05 PM

Oswalt has an option for next year.  He could be here for another year.

I think it's a mutual option - Oswalt may decline if he thinks he can get more somewhere else.

MDS

oswalt aint about the money

hes either back or going to the ranch to farg chickens or whatever
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.